Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Johnny Cash Thread

Somewhat continued from swcollecting.com:

First, if you don't have Personal File yet, get it NOW! This is an awesome collection of unreleased tracks from the 1970s and 80s, and sounds remarkably like American Recordings, only 20 years earlier.

Second, amazon.com has posted the track list for American V:

1. Help Me
    2. God's Gonna Cut You Down
    3. Like The 309
    4. If You Could Read My Mind
    5. Further On Up the Road
    6. The Evening Train
    7. I Came To Believe
    8. Love's Been Good To Me
    9. A Legend In My Time
    10. Rose Of My Heart
    11. Four Strong Winds
    12. I'm Free From The Chain Gang Now

I'm noticing there's not much revisiting of older Cash songs, like he'd sprinkled in on earlier American albums.

I'd heard he was listening to and recording a lot of old blues numbers before his death, so I wonder if "Help Me" is the Sonny Boy Williamson (II) song; and "Further On Up the Road" is probably the Bobby "Blue" Bland number. Both excellent songs.

"If You Could Read My Mind" is an awesome song, and I can't wait to hear his version.

I'm a little disappointed that "John the Revelator" isn't on this album, since I know he recorded it in his final days. Hopefully it will show up on American VI.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Is Personal File in stores yet, or is it online only?
    You'll never have another boss like me someone who's basically a chilled-out entertainer.
    David Brent

It came out Tuesday. Circuit City has it on sale this week for $15.99, which is a great price for two CDs that are pretty well packed.

American V comes out July 4, and American VI is supposed to be later this year or early next year.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

$15.99? Holy crap. That's incredible. Thanks for the info!
    You'll never have another boss like me someone who's basically a chilled-out entertainer.
    David Brent

So you're saying Further on up the Road is not a Springsteen cover?

I rushed out and picked Personal File up on Friday, and have been listening to it since it's that good. I agree with your assessment Chux, it is a lot like the American discs, which are among my favorites of his. For some reason, I didn't think this was out already, so thanks again for the great tip.
    David Brent

I have The Legend of Johnny Cash CD. Its a good one!
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

I was only a so-so Cash fan until I saw Walk The Line. I def wann hear this will have to check it out.
    Hasbro, Wuher needs help, bring us Ackmena http://www.petitiononline.com/Ackmena/petition.html

Kenobi must be the Smith or Johnson of Tatooine

For those with Myspace accounts you can listen to the ENTIRE American V CD.

Here's the link

American V
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

If anyone is going to Comic-Con, they will have an exclusive Johnny Cash figure. You can see a picture at ActionFigs.com
    "SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!