Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bored on Memorial Day Weekend? Smash a Box

Last night about 12:30 one of the dogs started to go crazy and kept trying to get my up. Finally I looked out my windows (facing the driveway) and noticed the lights were out. Thinking they blew out,I got back in bed but the dog kept up. Checked once again,nothing so I went back to bed.

At 7 am when the dogs went outside,I noticed why the lights were out. They were smashed all to hell along with the mailbox. I guess people dont have anything better to do then destroy property. The sherriff came out (and in only 5 minutes,suprisingly) but we knew he couldnt do anything. This is the 2nd time some punk has messed with our mailbox since we moved here. Hopefully it wont happen again,but I doubt it. I'm just glad one of the dogs werent in the yard to get hit by these morons.

Here are some pictures of the damage,its always interesting to compare mailbox smashings.

1 st light - http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ers/Stike5.jpg

2nd Light - http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...s/db498947.jpg

Mailbox with pieces down road - http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ers/Stike2.jpg
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

ah, man that sucks!!! Something like that happened to my family a few years back and i heard it. So, i ran out the back door and crossed through a few yards and got the guys license plate, and called the 5.0. They were picked up within the hour. When the cops stopped by to tell us they were caught, the bastids were in the backseat and I stood outside and waved to them, holding up the piece of paper that had their license on it.

Good times.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

I hate mailbox smashers.

About a year ago I was outside at 1am yelling at people who stood around our mailbox longer than I liked. A life full of mailbox smashing has made me paranoid.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Good job with the tag numbers there JMG I really dont blame you JBF,theres no reason to be hanging out near a mailbox at 1 am anyways.
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

Maybe the mailman was late that day IJG.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

This just reinforces me yet again in saying that people suck.

I'm gonna say where were the parents when these kids are out at 1am smashing mailboxes but the sad truth is that it's probably immature highschool kids that just drank a sixer so they're "totally smashed" so then figured they go do something "funny".
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

why do you guys have exterior mailboxes anyway? Always wondered that. Isn't it more secure to have a mailbox built into the house by the main door or have a mail flap in the door itself?

I would think I'd be mighty paranoid having a flimsy mailbox out away from the house where anyone can do whatever they feel like doing to it, either destruction or mail theft and destruction.

I dunno. for a country that has the right to own guns to protect property and an inherent fear of strangers, it seems dichotomous to then be so trusting and glib about the security of mail by having mail boxes outside and pretty much totally exposed.

And for gods sake don't take that as an attack, it's a generalisation deliberately and a ponder. I'm genuinely curious as to why you have your mailboxes so far away from the house.

Mail delivery here (as in the rural area where I live, not all of America) occurs by car (well, it's a little white jeep now). They tell us which side of the road to put the mailbox on and we listen. The mail carrier never leaves their vehicle, unless they have a package that doesn't fit in the mailbox. Then they'll drive up to the house and deliver the mail.

I guess it's the postal service's people wanting to save gas and time by not having to drive up to and then walk the rest of the way to the house. The reason I say that gas thing is because there's a bunch of lanes around our area. They used to let these people have mailboxes at the end of their driveways, but a year or two back they made them move their mailboxes so that they were on the main road. Now the mail carrier doesn't have to make the drive down the lanes anymore.

So there you go. For whatever "cost" reasons, these sort of events are something we must put up with if we want mail delivered
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Wow. That sucks. and makes me appreciate having mail delivered straight to the door.

In NYC they have mail boxes like you explained three posts ago MDP. When I moved to Va, I hated having outdoor mailboxes. Too many times a lazy postal worker has left a package at the mailbox, once in the rain, but I saw him drive down the road and went and checked and got it before any damage occured.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten