Page 13 of 144 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast
    I posted hi-res pictures of The Joker from Kotobukiya on ActionFigs.com.
    "SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

Koto Joker looks pretty wild, the eyes are downright creepy. The pose puts me off though, and the face (including the eyes) is a little too grotesque for my tastes (though I've never been a huge fan of the Joker anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by JetsAndHeels
    Man, now I am going to have to look more...guess he will show up around here eventually.
    Congrats on the find JT.
    Thanks, and good luck finding yours.

Here's my reviews on the 2 SR figs I picked up yesterday:

Superman Returns Solar Force Superman - this set had one of the few Superman accessories that actually looked good to me, plus this figure had the articulated ankles I wanted, so on a slow figure hunt I picked this one up. Unfortunately, Mattel made some poor choices with this figure and the end result is dubious. First mistake, Mattel painted Supes' upper body with an unusual red color that fades off, part of the solar force glow - it's weird looking on the figure by himself and only painted on the front so when he raises his arms there's none underneath, it's an interesting idea but leaves the figure with paint all over him when the accessory's not in use. There are other deco problems as well, the hands and neck are pretty sloppy, and the blue on the lower legs doesn't match the upper legs, a problem my Clark-to-Supes figure doesn't suffer.

Unlike Clark-to-Supes, Solar Force here sports a rubbery cape rather than a fabric one, rubbery capes are better for flying poses since they hold their shape. The figure's ball-jointed head doesn't have as much range of motion as Clark-to-Supes, and the standard shoulder articulation gives the figure a stiff, blocky feel to him when standing; the cupped hands and sculpted butt-plate keep the figure from being all he can be in the traditional flying pose as well, too bad since the ankles are meant for that, but he does look decent in a 1-handed flying pose. My biggest frustration with this set is the head they put on Supes, it's got some awful beyond-constipation look like he's gritting his teeth or imitating an old man or something, it looks utterly ridiculous and more importantly it doesn't look like Brandon Routh at all, the face - most notably the chin - is wider than Mattel's regular Routh Supes head, and they made his ears stick out just a little to add extra chimp-factor.

Finally, the solar force accessory is a firey cone of plasma as Superman flies full-speed into the atmosphere (there's a couple shots of something like this in the SR trailer), all cast in translucent yellow plastics. The accessory comes in 2 pieces, a smaller yellow piece that Supes holds right above his head, and a much larger plasma cone that uses paint to transition from yellow to red, this piece isn't as clear as the smaller piece but does look fairly exciting and hot. The smaller piece fits in Supes' hands but once everything is in place it slips out of his hands often, the design should have wrapped all the way around the hands to prevent this, the smaller piece is a spring-loaded projectile launcher and the larger plasma cone is the projectile, the trigger for this is VERY hard to activate, and located so it'll knock the holder out of Superman's hands every time. Everything connected up, the set looks good together like it's burning up right around Superman as he blasts through the atmosphere. It looks good from the sides, the bottom, even the back, but the top is notched out almost to the end so it doesn't look as good, and the trigger peg sticking up and the legs not being able to go as far back as they should do hamper the look a little.

Bottom line, it's a cute idea but the head sculpt really ruins it and the plasma glow paint on the upper body doesn't help either, and at this price it's not worth your time unless you want this 1 specific scene.

Superman Returns Kryptonite Armor Lex Luthor - There's 2 Lex Luthor figures in this line so far, and except for paint and accessories, they're actually the same figure. The other Lex, Missile Launching Lex, gets the rubber overcoat and cool movie-accurate accessories, but underneath his head and body are the same as Kryptonite Armor Lex here - I think they work better on that figure. This Krypto Armor figure is supposed to represent Lex in his regular clothes, with a regular shirt and tie, belt and pants, but since this sculpt is meant to do double-duty as Arctic Lex, it also has bigger pants, hiking boots, and big gloves - I can overlook the pants and boots, but the gloves unfortunately cannot be denied. The body sculpt is pretty soft, the pants and especially boots get some good detailing but the upper body is fairly simplistic. The pants, gloves, and boots are all black, while the shirt is light blue and the tie off-white, and even with a simple tie the work here is a touch sloppy. The head sculpt is recognizable as Kevin Spacey, but the sculpting is again a bit simple, couple that with the neck seems too tall, the head a touch too small, and the eyes and eyebrows painted a bit too big, giving it almost the appearance of Michael Rosenbaum's Lex from "Smallville" which is interesting from a certain point of view. This body and head worked way better with the big rubber coat from the Missile Launching figure because it hid the proportion issues and the long neck. Also, I really would have liked some angry eyes and eyebrows, this toyetic, blank-minded gaze just doesn't cut it with all the armor.

And speaking of which, the figure's accessories are the 7 translucent green pieces of plastic which make up Lex's Kryptonite Armor - apparently Lex Luthor outsources his kryptonite armor designs to China, as they made sure the right boot was showing it right in the front, couldn't put it on the sole huh? The big forearm blade and the spring-loaded trident missile are cast in milky, semi-opaque green plastic, while the other 5 pieces are cast in a harder and clearer creen plastic, and while the clearer green looks better as kryptonite, the milky green looks better as armor pieces, so naturally they reversed that idea. The boots have 3 pointy portrusions, they slip on over the front of the lower legs but not all the way back, so while he can stand in them fairly well, make sure he's posed so he won't tip backwards from lack of heel support. Then there's the long krypto-blade snapped onto his right forearm, it's milky plastic and more rounded than the other parts so it looks more like a melting icicle. The left forearm has a missile-launcher clipped onto it, the clip takes a little adjusting to fit it on snugly, and you can see the spring in the guts, or "maybe that's the energy harnassing coil that turns this kryptonite into a beam weapon!" - heh, sure, whatever helps you sleep at night. Anyway, the launcher fires a vaguely trident-shaped milky krypto-missile, and the trident projectile is the only thing here that Lex can hold in his hands, a krypto-trident or krypto-axe, why not. Finally, the 2-piece chest armor, which snaps closed at the shoulders so it fits around Lex's head, shoulders, chest and back, the armor's fit is pretty loose so it can accomodate Lex's arms being moved at all - but I don't like loose armor. The angular armor's sculpt is an intentional homage to Lex Luthor's battle suit of the '70s and '80s, complete with the center triangular "T" pattern - it's a cute idea, but the clear plastic and loose fit lessen its impact.

Bottom line, there might be some kid value, with Lex sporting armor that can weaken Superman down enough to make it an interesting fight, but the end result doesn't work all that well as armor or as regular Lex, making it more of an oddity than an action figure - get the missile launching Lex instead.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Slightly off-topic, but how can you not be a fan of the Joker? He has no super strength, no superhuman abilities of any kind, is not a particular good fighter, and isn't really all that bright, and in spite of that, he's one of the deadliest villains in comic book history. And he's so absolutely perfect as a polar opposite to Batman. . . and yet very disconcertingly like him at the same time.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

The character is written all over the map, sometimes he's a crazed killer, sometimes he's just involved in all the joke stuff, sometimes he's a master criminal, sometimes he's just a buffoon. And he doesn't do much to threaten Batman usually, he's not in prime physical shape much of the time, sometimes he's not armed, his tricks can be downright embarassing, it always feels forced there. I can't think of enough times where I felt like the Joker lived up to his reputation as the ultimate Batman baddy, and that's a problem.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Okay, I can see where you're coming from, but I'd fault the individual writers rather than the actual character. When handled properly, the Joker is magnificent, but when he's not, he falls flat.

I recommend checking out the A Death in the Family collection, along with the animated film Mask of the Phantasm, and--especially--The Killing Joke. That graphic novel is the most purely evil, perfectly-done Joker characterization ever. Even if you hate Batgirl, like I did, the SOB will turn your stomach in that one.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

So, i got myself the Kryptonite armor Lex figure today. A WM i stopped at had two. and did you guys know about the TRU superman exclusive figure? It looks like the one pictured in the two-pack as he's in his Silver space suit thing. I scanned e-bay and found a pic. It rang up for about 7 bucks ala their "exclusive" Ducard figure. I know J&H will go get it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	supes.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	14025  
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    Okay, I can see where you're coming from, but I'd fault the individual writers rather than the actual character. When handled properly, the Joker is magnificent, but when he's not, he falls flat.
    IMO, the's nearly always handled improperly. I think part of the problem is that over the years, they've let Batman's abilities get out of control the way they did with silver-age Superman, where Supes could lift planets with a pinky, Batman is the ultimate fighter/detective/vigilante of all time now so the Joker has to be ramped up to match that. Oftentimes the Joker is really good at hand-to-hand combat, kills unmercilessly, yet somehow gets paroled from Arkham only a few weeks later. Plus he's all over the map, sometimes he wants cash, sometimes he wants to kill his enemies, sometimes he wants to mutilate/kill everybody in Gotham, sometimes he's merely out to further anarchy, I just wish they'd find a niche to put the guy in and stick with it.

I recommend checking out the A Death in the Family collection, along with the animated film Mask of the Phantasm, and--especially--The Killing Joke. That graphic novel is the most purely evil, perfectly-done Joker characterization ever. Even if you hate Batgirl, like I did, the SOB will turn your stomach in that one.
    I haven't read Death in the Family (die Jason Todd, die!!!) and Killing Joke (paralyze Barbara Gordon, paralyze! ) in a while, and somehow I missed out on Mask of the Phantasm. I guess my problem with the Joker is that in these modern tales, he's *such* an evil guy that once Batman defeats him, I can't believe he's going to be able to get out again, yet he always does. The guy supposedly is chalked up over 2,000 kills in his current mythos, yet somehow he's still able to get into Arkham and then get out - at that many kills, the federal gov't would have put him in a federal prison long since, and had Arkham shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    ....sometimes he's merely out to further anarchy...
    No, that would be his (likely) illegitimate son, Anarky. That's a fifth-stringer I'd like an action figure of.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
    did you guys know about the TRU superman exclusive figure? It looks like the one pictured in the two-pack as he's in his Silver space suit thing. I scanned e-bay and found a pic. It rang up for about 7 bucks ala their "exclusive" Ducard figure. I know J&H will go get it.
    Our good friend Rocketboy has helped me get ahold of that TRU exclusive figure.
    Can't wait to get it.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

SuperheroTimes is reporting that the Jor-el 2pack will be a TRU exclusive this October, and they'll be releasing a white single "hologram" version of Jor-El in August: http://www.superherotimes.com/newsarchive/001529.php

Also, at TRU today, I saw those silver Kal-El figures with a sign on 'em, if you buy $20 or more of Superman Returns figures, you get Kal-El free.

I saw 2 more Krypto-Armor Lex Luthors at Target tonight, I don't think these will be hard to find.

I also saw 1 Up Up & Away Supes and bought him since I'm a sucker for flying Superman figs - but he's kinda lame, he's not a real action figure at all, he's a gimmick 1-pose figure, can't even stand upright! The colors of the plastic and the sculpting don't match from piece to piece which is annoying. His head is the same regular Supes head, still on... ACK! His head just came off and flew across the room! Luckily I saw where it went and got it. Anyway, I was gonna say it's still on the double-ball joint like Clark-to-Supes but now that his head came off I can see it's actually on a different double-joint, the top is a ball and the bottom is essentially a hinge. The head joints let him look upright but not quite as far as he should (hence when I tried, his head came flying off). The ankles and knees are spring-loaded for the gimmick, the hips and shoulders are geared together and spring-loaded for the gimmick, so besides the head the hinged elbows are the only actual points of usable articulation. The shoulders are sculpted like they're ball or universal joints, but they're not - though they can ratchet into other positions somewhat. The hands are sculpted fists, kinda poor-looking and at the halfway rotation - he looks like he's miming driving a car, he really should have had wrist articulation to accomodate this. The gimmick is that you hold Supes down against the ground in a crouched-to-leap position and when you lift him up he springs into a flying pose complete with pointed feet. While his legs are nicely close together, they don't angle quite far enough back so it looks close, but just a little off (the knees stopping a tiny bit earlier would have gone a long way here), and it doesn't help that his shoulders should come in slightly too. The figure's got a rubbery cape, and in the middle of that is a hole which corresponds to a tube in Superman's back, the figure's lone accessory is a key-like accessory which plugs into this hole, but all this turns out to be is a tab so you can hold the figure down for his gimmick, it doesn't turn anything and it's very hard to get back out of his back, and you could just hold the figure by the waist instead of using it.

Also, TRU had the LEGO UCS Batmobile for $70, but I was not impressed.