Page 143 of 144 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144 LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1431
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Did anybody know about the '60s TV Batman and '89 movie Batman 1/4 scale (18") figures done by NECA? I hadn't heard of these before, just saw them in Steve's Toy Fair coverage: http://photos.actionfigs.com/g6666-neca-page5.html
    They both look good, the format fits Adam West-man quite well.
    Yeah, they really are a thing of beauty.

I wish the '89 Batman was the same scale as my Nicholson Joker though.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Yeah, they really are a thing of beauty.

I wish the '89 Batman was the same scale as my Nicholson Joker though.
    Have they been released yet? Has anybody seen them in person?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

They're not scheduled to ship until August. Latest news was a pic of them refining the sculpt, so technically we haven't even seen pics of the final production piece.

Quote Originally Posted by RooJay View Post
    They're not scheduled to ship until August. Latest news was a pic of them refining the sculpt, so technically we haven't even seen pics of the final production piece.
    Good to know, thanks for the update. I hope they don't "refine" them into worse condition, I know we didn't see production pieces at Toy Fair but it's easy to get lost in the process.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I picked up Jor-el Movie Masters from Target today. Armored Zod and Faora are on preorder from Mattelshop so I'm done with the MoS MM's.

Saw the film today and loved it! I'm glad it was no TDKR.

Amazon delivered my Batman '66 Batman & Robin set yesterday. The sculpts on both figures are a touch soft, have some poor expression of human anatomy (mainly overly long legs) on top of realistically-thin arms and legs, each cape has fat wires sewn into the side edges, and each suffers a big ugly white tag sewn into the cape just behind the neck which can be cut free with care. Batman comes with a show-appropriate batarang that sports a small hole in one side for string-based fun. Robin comes with nothing. The base is alright, has a hole in the back to accommodate hanging, both sets of windows open out, and there's a small eyelet at the top to accommodate a batrope. The set's included batrope is just twisted rattan string, like those found in Transformers packaging, but at least it's black.

Batman's the better of the 2 figures, his anatomical proportions are fairly decent and only get tripped up mid-torso with the belt and trunks somewhat higher than they should be. His likeness is good in sculpt although not outstanding; the face is painted and then has the cowl's mask glued over that so the eyes are deep in the cowl for a more accurate look which works well. The cowl has a modest failing in the ears being too low and too far back, and the head seeming a tad bulbous. The belt is rendered less than great, the sculpted shapes get lost in it. The head is a ball joint that is a bit limited by trapping the cape in between, range of motion is otherwise pretty good. The cape isn't wide enough, Robin's cape is wider.

Robin suffers from ridiculously long legs and an elongated torso, everything about him looks a little off at first so it takes a little while to get used to. His face sculpt is very soft and barely sells the likeness at all, even using hair from a promo shot that doesn't remind me too much of the TV show. The head paint is thick and sloppy, the mask and eyes barely making the grade at all. The head is on a rotation joint that sits on top of a hinge that's very tight but does move up and down when pushed hard, I predict breakage here. The cape is attached to the neck below any jointing. Range of motion is pretty good save the mid-torso hinge which is severely limited in both directions; I also don't like using the hip joints only because they expose too much gap. The legs are painted slightly darker than the arms, I guess as tights but the arms aren't consistent enough to sell that.

In the next few days I'll finally put them in the Batmobile and review that.

I also picked up the Batman '66 first issue yesterday at the comic shop, didn't realize that was out yet. The art is stylized to the point of distraction, and some of it seems like it's done on the cheap for the kiddie set, but it gets some things right. The book has Adam West's "Batman" voice down pat, Burt Ward's "Robin" voice is good but not as consistent, Julie Newmar's "Catwoman" voice is pretty generic, Frank Gorshin's "the Riddler" voice is there if you stretch. Likenesses are come and go for those characters due to the style but mainly land when needed, especially Catwoman and the batmobile which both get the most consistent art attention. DC obviously didn't get likeness rights on Alan Napier's "Alfred" which is a damned shame because not only does the character look entirely wrong but he's written wrong as well; they also didn't get Aunt Harriett (or they did and blew it big time). Then there's Chief O'Hara and Commissioner Gordon, the former is so cartoonish that it could be accurate or not, and the latter almost looks like the show character except they drew square glasses on him that neither fit the likeness nor the original character.

As for the writing, the story is pretty basic but takes its time having fun in that universe, adding stuff they couldn't have afforded on the show, and going the places we want to go. The adventure has a little modern feel to it, but not too bad, and it avoids breaking its era most of the time. There are even some William Dozier narration moments, and I'm glad I got it as a floppy instead of digital because there's no same bat time, same bat channel waiting around concerns. It's not too quick a read, they didn't skimp on pages. I may add this to my pull list just for a fun read.

Owing to Mattel's (and Hasbro's) extreme reliance on generic bucks for their superhero 6" figures, I'm afraid "overly long legs" will be a standard for this line. I was going to go more into this in the 6" Black Series Fett thread but the buck system also does not really accommodate super intricate detailing.

For my experience with mass market retail 6", that Fett looks a lot better than a lot of the DC and Masters of the Universe figures I've bought over the years and at least each figure in Black Series will be a unique mold, reprints notwithstanding of course.

With this '66 Batman line, it seems it's right in line with Mattel's quasi realistic but not realistic enough aesthetic with all their 6" lines.

Ok, so I got out the Batmobile. This is what I expected, it's hollow with details in the cockpit, but there's also detail on the undercarriage which is surprising. The scale feels close to right, can't be sure since the figures cannot sit as naturally as a person but could be. The paint isn't bad, some slop but some good detail work as well; the plastic is shiny and glossy, but also likely a dust magnet. The backs of the fins are rubbery but the integration isn't so bad, a lot of smaller details are rubber as well but either painted or molded in their colors. The canopy design lacks the silver paint in the middle between the 2 bubbles both front and back, I think this was not a cheap out but a design error, someone misunderstanding the role of the middle (it's all glass over a solid beam), it looks ok without that though, but the silver paint used on the front canopies is too thick. Some sculpt is quite tight, other areas are a tad sloppy, nothing is a deal killer unless you were hoping for working doors, which this doesn't have. Figures sit well in their seats, the seatbelts are oversized a tad but have the general idea right and plug easily into the center console. The steering wheel doesn't have its central gauge detailing, but does rotate and fits in Batman's hands. The phone is not removable, and the upper T-handle emergency bat-turn lever is Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Film despite its label being the only one on the car. The wheels are painted silver and sport a rubbery Bat symbol, although without its white border.

I would have liked to have seen opening doors, trunk, and hood, but am not surprised we didn't get those. However, what they should have done at this budget was at least block off the hollow engine bay so you couldn't see through the wheel wells or the nose, you can actually see Batman & Robin's feet through the nose in one of my pics. Also, since it's hollow I would have liked independent suspension and tires that aren't hollow on the inner edge just to keep it from feeling too much like a dolled-up dime-store toy.

Anyway, below are some quick photos I took on my phone, some with flash and some without. Atomic batteries to power, turbines to speed.

EDIT: Oops, I accidentally left my TF site's watermark on when I batched them, oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    Owing to Mattel's (and Hasbro's) extreme reliance on generic bucks for their superhero 6" figures, I'm afraid "overly long legs" will be a standard for this line. I was going to go more into this in the 6" Black Series Fett thread but the buck system also does not really accommodate super intricate detailing.

For my experience with mass market retail 6", that Fett looks a lot better than a lot of the DC and Masters of the Universe figures I've bought over the years and at least each figure in Black Series will be a unique mold, reprints notwithstanding of course.

With this '66 Batman line, it seems it's right in line with Mattel's quasi realistic but not realistic enough aesthetic with all their 6" lines.
    I won't be surprised if you're right on the long legs being a repeating issue, but I'm not sure I'd be happier with secondary villains looking too different in style from the main characters.

I've gotten used to ArtFX+ figures from Kotobukiya being a modestly high quality mid-priced item, Gentle Giant's quality as well in that range. If that Fett is a lot better at $20 than those others at $15, the scale should be thrown out entirely and refocused because the seam lines, the dodgy sculpting, the budget joints, and especially the seam lines everywhere, that stuff is such weak sauce compared to what that price should be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batmobile-115.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	27754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batmobile-100.jpg 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	27755   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batmobile-101.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	27756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batmobile-102.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	27757   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batmobile-103.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	27758  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batmobile-104.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	27759   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batmobile-105.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	27760   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batmobile-106.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	27761   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batmobile-107.jpg 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	27762   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batmobile-108.jpg 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	27763  

Name:	batmobile-109.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	27764   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batmobile-110.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	27765   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batmobile-111.jpg 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	27766   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batmobile-112.jpg 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	27767   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batmobile-113.jpg 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	27768  

Name:	batmobile-114.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	27769  

I found '66 Penguin and Riddler at TRU this morning BUT they were 21.99 each.

Meanwhile, Amazon has them at only $15.99.

The DC Matty subscription did not meet the minimum number so I guess I'll be using that money towards something else.

I have been holding off on posting to the "what are you collecting" thread but this definitely alters the trajectory of my response.