Page 109 of 144 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111112113119 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1431

Quote Originally Posted by RooJay View Post
    Mego did do Green Arrow as well
    True sir... and it's a great toy, but in this case we're talking about Green Lantern.

Series 1 of the DC Universe World's Greatest Superheroes line includes: Green Lantern, Sinestro, Lex Luthor, and Superman.

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/pr...mber=MTR2674AA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And speaking of Hot Wheels... I managed to find the Bat-Pod and the Batwing. They're both cool, but the Batwing is all plastic, so it's just a little less cool than I expected.

The Bat-Pod that I found isn't the all black version that's on the packaging. Does anyone know if that version is also coming out?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bat-poddk1-50_01.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	21830   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bat-poddk1-50_02.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	21831   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batwing1989_1-50_01.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	21832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batwing1989_1-50_02.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	21833  
    plasticfetish.net

Oh I see...for some reason, I could have sworn that Green Arrow was part of the first assortment...

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    I was worried that the Batpod would only be available in the 2-pack at SDCC, but you mentioned there was no way that would be happen. It wouldn't be unusual for Mattel to do, so I was still a bit concerned about it until seeing that it was released to a wave.
    Oh, right, that wasn't even in this thread I don't think, I had forgotten all about it: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/sho...927#post686927
    I doubt this is the reason, but maybe that's why the retail version is gold, so it doesn't step on the exclusive coloring.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticfetish View Post
    Hmmmm... we'll have to see what turns up.

I'm not too worried about wave 9 though. I've seen them (for way too much) at comic shops, and eventually they'll show up at the bigger stores here. It's wave 10 that I'm sure I'll never see... not that I go to Walmart much anyway.
    I spotted Green Arrow at Target once, thought it was cool but couldn't afford, naturally that was a foolish move.

Wow... seriously? That question on a site catering to adults who collect Star Wars toys seems just a little ironic.

In this case nostalgia counts for a lot, but there's also something to be said for the fact that they look like fun toys. They aren't all characters that were made by Mego either. From the first wave, I think only Superman was a character that Mego released (and Lex Luthor as a 12" figure.)
    Yeah, seriously. There's something kinda "doll" like about the Mego-style figures. I bought a number of the Toy Biz Marvel line, but stopped when I realized they come off more Raggedy Ann than Spider-Man. There's something about those big, ugly, loose joints, removable cloth outfits, unusable hands, and rotocast heads that makes me wonder if/how these sorts of things have value beyond the nostalgia crowd. Star Wars 3.75" figures seem more like "action figures", and the Sideshow line aims to be high quality collectible figures, so I think Mego vs standard action figures is apples vs oranges. To me, it seems like the urban vinyl craze or the blocko craze (I actually did play with my blocko figs) or the plush characters, once you've bought these crazy versions of all them characters, then what? Are you going to really play with them or put them in serious dioramas?

And speaking of Hot Wheels... I managed to find the Bat-Pod and the Batwing. They're both cool, but the Batwing is all plastic, so it's just a little less cool than I expected.
    Ugh, "all plastic" has a bad ring to it on this, there's already a very nice die cast one via Ertl from back in the day, so I am not sure there's a point to getting a Hot Wheels one that isn't even metal. That news totally deflated my interest for this one.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by RooJay View Post
    Oh I see...for some reason, I could have sworn that Green Arrow was part of the first assortment...
    I hope he's part of a later release... I can never find or afford a Mego version.

You know... maybe he is part of series two. I seem to remember something about a reworked version now that I think about it... ??? (Or I may just be thinking about a custom that I've seen.)

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Yeah, seriously. There's something kinda "doll" like about the Mego-style figures.
    That's true... and to be honest, it really is probably a 90% nostalgia vs. 10% play value kind of thing. Having grown up with Megos, I can remember when they were the most play friendly option out there--smaller than GI Joe @ 12", and more articulated than a lot of other toys. And again, you've got to remember that the value comes entirely from just how perfectly they were designed and marketed toward the average 6-10 year old... back when they actually still played with toys.

Ugh, "all plastic" has a bad ring to it on this, there's already a very nice die cast one via Ertl from back in the day, so I am not sure there's a point to getting a Hot Wheels one that isn't even metal. That news totally deflated my interest for this one.
    I'm on the fence about it... still deciding. On the one hand, it's a cool looking thing, and the little display stand is nice (which is probably why they opted for as light-weight a material as they could.) But on the other hand, something made out of metal would have been great.

I kind of wonder if they were worried about kids (as if they'd ever buy this... or find one) throwing these at each other.
    plasticfetish.net

Yeah, seriously. There's something kinda "doll" like about the Mego-style figures. I bought a number of the Toy Biz Marvel line, but stopped when I realized they come off more Raggedy Ann than Spider-Man. There's something about those big, ugly, loose joints, removable cloth outfits, unusable hands, and rotocast heads that makes me wonder if/how these sorts of things have value beyond the nostalgia crowd. Star Wars 3.75" figures seem more like "action figures", and the Sideshow line aims to be high quality collectible figures, so I think Mego vs standard action figures is apples vs oranges. To me, it seems like the urban vinyl craze or the blocko craze (I actually did play with my blocko figs) or the plush characters, once you've bought these crazy versions of all them characters, then what? Are you going to really play with them or put them in serious dioramas?
    I don't know, JT. Are they any more or less "doll" like than the Six Million Dollar Man, classic 12" G.I. Joe, or the 12" "action figures" currently made by Sideshow?

Looking at my small Mego collection, I don't see any exposed joints, none at all. They are obvious when the figures are, uh, naked, but otherwise they are not seen, thanks to those wonderful cloth outfits (what's wrong with cloth outfits, btw?). As far as the hands, well, no, they don't grasp their weapons as securely as some modern figures; but many vintage Star Wars 3 3/4" figures couldn't, either. (I'm looking at Bespin Luke, Hoth Leia, the Snowtrooper, the Biker Scout, and Nien Nunb right now; I had to wedge their weapons, if you will, into their little molded mitts. The Megos I have hold their weapons better than that -- hardly unusable.*) And rotocast heads were still being used until recently in some figure lines, weren't they?

I'm biased, though, I'll admit. And in the end, I have to agree that it's mostly nostalgia that keeps my interest in both the old line and the ReMegos.

*I know you probably refer to figures with gloves, like Green Arrow and Robin. In that case, I can't argue with you, other than to say that I don't remember it being an issue for me as a kid.

I saw the 6" Public Enemies line at Target last night, they put them on the bottom shelf so it was only by luck that I looked down to the floor to see them. I wasn't tempted to buy any of them, not the characters I didn't know, and not the semi-cartoony heroes. The only one I think that looks good is Supes, the style fits him, but it's not a stretch.

That's true... and to be honest, it really is probably a 90% nostalgia vs. 10% play value kind of thing. Having grown up with Megos, I can remember when they were the most play friendly option out there--smaller than GI Joe @ 12", and more articulated than a lot of other toys. And again, you've got to remember that the value comes entirely from just how perfectly they were designed and marketed toward the average 6-10 year old... back when they actually still played with toys.
    I never owned any Mego figs back in the day, I think I was a little too young. My fancy was always with 3.75" figures when I was a kid though, anything around that scale was to my liking especially if there were lots of accessories and vehicles: Star Wars, Super Powers, GI Joe ARAH, MOTU (not 3.75", I know).

I'm on the fence about it... still deciding. On the one hand, it's a cool looking thing, and the little display stand is nice (which is probably why they opted for as light-weight a material as they could.) But on the other hand, something made out of metal would have been great.
    You make a good argument for why they'd want to go light, but that's such cart-before-the-horse thinking that I can only hope it's not the case or Mattel is even more inept than... hmm, even typing that sentence it rings likely.

I kind of wonder if they were worried about kids (as if they'd ever buy this... or find one) throwing these at each other.
    I doubt it, by that argument any metal toy is exactly as dangerous, especially a batmobile with lots of pointy bits. I know they aren't shaped like batarangs the way the Batwing is though.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
    I don't know, JT. Are they any more or less "doll" like than the Six Million Dollar Man, classic 12" G.I. Joe, or the 12" "action figures" currently made by Sideshow?
    I was thinking about the GI Joe thing last night, about why classic Joe is in any way less doll-like than Mego. I think it has to do with the style and quality of the figures and even the outfits, as well as the accessories. But that's a thin line I suppose. The outfits on Mego look so cheap to me, they have a softer feel to them than GI Joe outfits, and they bunch funny whenever a joint is moved. The bodies also have a kiddie styling to them which I can't explain very well, it's how the legs and arms splay away from the body. The heads too, Mego heads are rotocast like GI Joe but simpler and with slightly friendlier expressions. The sew on the costumes also is baggy now that I'm looking closer at the figs, like a kid wearing jammies, that goes back to how the outfits move too, why the bunch up in doll-like ways.

Looking at my small Mego collection, I don't see any exposed joints, none at all. They are obvious when the figures are, uh, naked, but otherwise they are not seen, thanks to those wonderful cloth outfits (what's wrong with cloth outfits, btw?). As far as the hands, well, no, they don't grasp their weapons as securely as some modern figures; but many vintage Star Wars 3 3/4" figures couldn't, either. (I'm looking at Bespin Luke, Hoth Leia, the Snowtrooper, the Biker Scout, and Nien Nunb right now; I had to wedge their weapons, if you will, into their little molded mitts. The Megos I have hold their weapons better than that -- hardly unusable.*) And rotocast heads were still being used until recently in some figure lines, weren't they?
    Doesn't Robin have exposed knees, and the Hulk exposed upper body and knees, and poor poor Conan the Barbarian exposed EVERYTHING? And every non-gloved figure has exposed wrists, those big riveted numbers. But you're right technically, the joints largely aren't exposed, it's just that their bulk shows through the costumes, and for some figures they put on body suits to try to cover up the joints which only made things look more doll-esque to me. And they all have the same crappy girlie hands, I forgot about that one, those are lame, big heads and then tiny hands on very normal guy bodies wearing what look like homemade '60s halloween costumes (with oven mitts ).

The 3.75" figures can get away with simple hands not holding accessories well because they're SMALL figures, Mego are twice the scale.

The quality of the rotocast heads on the Mego line I don't think really look like the quality being turned out by other lines of the time. They have gotten better in the last 10 years from other companies but largely the Mego-style figures out there are trying to emulate the simpler styling that company did.

I'm biased, though, I'll admit. And in the end, I have to agree that it's mostly nostalgia that keeps my interest in both the old line and the ReMegos.
    Thanks for the info.

*I know you probably refer to figures with gloves, like Green Arrow and Robin. In that case, I can't argue with you, other than to say that I don't remember it being an issue for me as a kid.
    Lower standards due to less competition.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I never owned any Mego figs back in the day, I think I was a little too young.
    I figgered as much, young feller. It's okay.

Lower standards due to less competition.
    And we liked it that way!

Remember the shift attack sports coupe from TDK toyline? I found a few of them tonight at a local closeout store for $9.99 each. For that price it was hard to pass on, so I picked one up. It's a pretty cool toy.

I know this isn't anything new toy wise, but I am glad I got one at that low price.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

I bought said sports coupe, reminded me of MASK, I loved MASK. It's an ok toy, fun to play with. They released it in a second color, lighter, I didn't care for it. Nice get on that price.

I saw a kid playing with one recently, I don't remember quite where but it amused me to see it being enjoyed.