Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Man, I had forgotten...some crummy ep1 sculpts

I was going through my collection when I cam across my episode 1 figures. This figures are disappointing. I had forgotten how crummy some of these sculpts are in the areas of articulation and face sculpt.

Adi Gallia stupid red lightsaber, cheap cloak, limited art.
    Anakin Skywalker (Naboo) limited art, not enough accessories
    Anakin Skywalker (Naboo Pilot) limited art.
    Anakin Skywalker (Tatooine) limited art. not enough accessories
    Battle Droid (Clean) not bad, nice to have sturdy legs
    Battle Droid (Dirty) ditto
    Battle Droid (Shot) ditto
    Battle Droid (Sliced) ditto
    Boss Nass can't hold staff very well, crappy cloak, not enough art.
    C-3PO not enough art, could've had better sculpt
    Captain Panaka not too bad, limited art. though
    Captain Tarpals not bad, limited art. though
    Chancellor Valorum not bad limited art. though
    Darth Maul (Jedi Duel) limted art.
    Darth Maul (Sith Lord) limited art.
    Darth Maul (Tatooine) limited art. bad cloak
    Darth Sidious boring and bad face sculpt, limited art.
    Darth Sidious (Holograph) I like this one
    Destroyer Droid I like this one
    Destroyer Droid (Battle Damaged) I like this one
    Gasgano & Pit Droid cheaply made, limited art., parts break easily
    Jar-Jar Binks limited art.
    Jar-Jar Binks (Naboo Swamp) not too bad
    Ki-Adi Mundi stupid purple lightsaber, bad eye paint
    Mace Windu (Preview Mail-away) cheap, bad cloak, blue lightsaber
    Mace Windu limited art., could've had better sculpt
    Naboo Royal Guard not too bad
    Naboo Royal Security bad proportions, limited art., bad face sculpt
    Nute Gunray limited art.
    Obi-Wan Kenobi (Jedi Duel) bad sculpt, limited art.
    Obi-Wan Kenobi (Jedi Knight) bad sculpt, limited art.
    Obi-Wan Kenobi (Naboo) bad sculpt, limited art.
    Ody Mandrell with Otoga 222 Pit Droid cheaply made, limited art., parts break easily
    OOM-9 not too bad
    Padmé Naberrie bad sculpt, limited art.
    Pit Droid 2-pack not too bad
    Queen Amidala (Battle) I like this one, but the face should've been better
    Queen Amidala (Coruscant) boring, limited art.
    Queen Amidala (Naboo) bad sculpt, limted art.
    Qui-Gon Jinn (Jedi Duel) bad sculpt, limted art.
    Qui-Gon Jinn (Jedi Master) bad sculpt, limted art.
    Qui-Gon Jinn (Naboo) bad sculpt, limted art.
    R2-D2 not too bad, but panels on side are distracting
    R2-B1 I like this one
    Ric Olié not too bad, limted art.
    Rune Haako not too bad, limited art.
    Senator Palpatine boring, bad articulation (where points are) dumb accessory
    Sio Bibble I like this one but needed more art.
    TC-14 I like this one
    Watto not too bad, need more art.
    Yoda cheap, no art., bad paint

That is what I think about each episode 1 figure. I got out my box of them and started looking at them, and I realized how cheaply made most of them were. I felt bad because I liked the movie, but these are figures that I'd love to just forget about. Anyway, let me know what you think!

B.
    TDV
    One way to out think people is to make them think you think they'll think what you are not really trying to get them to think what you think.

Captain Tarpals is one of my favorite TPM figures.

You can't really fault these figures for having lightsabers that ultimately turned out to be inaccurate. Hasbro based the lightsaber colors on those mentioned in books, comics, and videogames.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I like the Episode 1 Lightsabers in that they don't have that rough part coming out of the hilt like Ep. 2 and 3 versions and are cleaner looking. Like the POTF2 versions. Even though Ki-Adi-Mundi's blue-purple saber and Adia Gallia's ruby-purple saber are not movie accurate, they are unusual colors not seen on any other Lightsabers that I know of. Kinda cool I think. We also didn't get much artwork with any of these figures as mentioned, but the Commtech chips made up for that. At least the cards were better than the stupid ROTS ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue2th
    Even though Ki-Adi-Mundi's blue-purple saber and Adia Gallia's ruby-purple saber are not movie accurate, they are unusual colors not seen on any other Lightsabers that I know of.
    Or maybe the movies aren't figure accurate since these figures lightsabers were out before they showed there lightsabers on screen...at least in the case of Ki-Adi that is.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Or, again, they based the colors on pre-existing stories from other media and, not getting the nix from George, assumed they were okay. Like Ki-Adi, who was seen with a purple saber almost six months prior to the release of TPM.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Funny how it is Ki-Adi and Mace who are involved in the blue/purple lightsaber deal.

I still wonder how a jedi knight ended up with red. Doesn't Lucas approve these figures? They should have known then that only sith have red. Wasn't that somewhere in the comics or books? Oh well.

B.
    TDV
    One way to out think people is to make them think you think they'll think what you are not really trying to get them to think what you think.

Only post-AOTC. Up until that point, it was assumed that anyone could have any color saber. They've been kind of mum on whether everyone replaced their sabers, but my theory is that the sabers used exotic crystals which were unavailable during the turmoil leading up to AOTC and, when they were damaged (which seems to happen an awful lot, given the events onscreen), the crystals had to be replaced with more easily available green and blue crystals from Illum.

It's been stated that Sith use synthetic red crystals, but that's the only official explanation given about saber colors since 2002.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

When I saw this thread's title, the first thing I thought of was Amidala Battle's frankenstein neck bolts. The Padme Naberrie figure and first Amidala figures weren't very good likenesses in general, neither were the first of the main Jedi (and that Maul with repainted face was just not right). The first Boss Nass figure isn't quite right and is woefully short. The Battle Droids are all off designs, too thick and funked neck designs. None of the Anakins are right I think. Don't forget the incredibly doofy Naboo Royal Security.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.