Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

how long til the Deal or No Deal fad ends ?

It reminds me of Who Wants to be a Millionaire in the sense that this crap can't last TOO long, can it ? Of course, maybe down the road they will replace Howie Mandel with Meredith Veira and keep it plugging but I'm talking about its overhyped popularity in this thread.

It's so gimmicky and when I do see it, I root against the contestants and delight in their misfortune. That whole thing with the banker is ridiculous, just stupid. He's up there in that darkened booth so you can't see anything except for his silhouette and they put on a big production about his decisions as far as what the offer will be...but once the Deal has been made, there is no more suspense to it, I mean Howie just starts belting out what the offers "would have been" (which is fine because it's all statistically based anyway - but why the drama before a Deal has been made? ).

Then there are the models who work with the numbered cases. They are great. They try all this suspenseful stuff of opening the case slowly so they know if it is high or low, then they ham it up with silent screams for low amounts or they'll put on a pouty puss when it's a high amount. The worst part about it is when contestants beg or plead with the models to be nice to them and open a small amount. Huh? I didn't realize the ladies wielded so much power. It reminds me of the times I've played Blackjack over the years and other people around me talked to the dealer as if they had any control over what card came out of the shoe next.

Maybe the worst part about this show is the music since it overdoes all of the things I've mentioned about.

It's not like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. That show required a bit, albeit not a whole lot, of brains to play.

I think when this ends, an animated Bobby ought to come out and b-slap Howie.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I haven't even heard much about this show. I think I've watched it a grand total of 2 times. It's not even that exciting to watch even though they try to force feed the tension down your throat.

At least the models look half way decent (although I'm sure JT would say different though) so that kinda makes up for the show sucking.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    It's not like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. That show required a bit, albeit not a whole lot, of brains to play.
    I meant it in the sense of hype and gimmick induced popularity without the prospect of a long shelf life. The Weakest Link also comes to mind. "Is That Your Final Answer?" "Deal or No Deal?" and "You Are The Weakest Link, BuhBye" are all interchangeable in this regard.

Forget about Bobby's World, I want Fred Savage (HM's costar in Little Monsters) to slap him.

I didn't mind Deal or No Deal at first but now it is just ridiculous. They spend more time talking to the contestant, the contestants family, friends, kids, uncles, grandpas cousins sisters nephews, the audience, the banker, the case girls than they do playing the stupid game. It shouldn't take 45 minutes for a person to pick 20 some cases. They should easily be able to get through 2 people on one show, if not more, but they can't even get through one. It is absurd and I no longer watch it. If the show happens to be on I too, like Caesar, find myself rooting against the contestant.
    "That's the best deal you're gonna get. I won't tell you you can save yourself, because you can't."

One other thing I forgot to add was Howie doing the "right after this" tease where they go to commercial before opening a case or announcing an offer. And then the contestant and audience all groan as if the show is pulling that stunt for the first time.

I also root against the contestants. I've seen the show 5-10 times and while it's entertaining I don't particularly enjoy. I'ts usually background noise while I do other things. I loved Millionaire, and it took actual knowledge on that game. The problem on all of these games is people get caught up in the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. If they would set a realistic goal and go for that and if the odds are in their favor keep playing otherwise stop at your set goal. Instead they think the ultiamte vistory is the $2 million, when it might just as well be a huge victory walking away with $48K.

I love it when people ask advice on which briefcase to open. Like they have x-ray vision. It's a pure crap shoot.
    Hasbro, Wuher needs help, bring us Ackmena http://www.petitiononline.com/Ackmena/petition.html

Kenobi must be the Smith or Johnson of Tatooine

1) It's the "open the box!" show, I could see this being popular for 30 minutes a week but an hour a day 4 days a week?!? They're just opening cases!!! It's so boring! And who cares about their sister's cousin's uncle and his shoddy advice? How this show continues to pass for entertainment, I'll never know. I guess audiences get all wrapped up with what deal THEY'D take and get excited, but there's really not much going on. Plus, the "at-home" game isn't tied into the actual show at all!

2) I am pretty sure the banker is totally fake, it's a computer probability program, I caught a second tonight while flipping channels just after the guy had taken the deal, Howie made him open the last few boxes anyway and instantly a price comes up on the big screen of how much the deal would have been for, some ridiculously specific amount no less.

3) The models are "eh, ok I guess"-looking, average-to-trashy C-grade models in unimaginative outfits. At least give the tv pervs at home something better to look at.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I saw the show for the first time last night and boy oh boy is it dumb! Do I open the box or take the money??? I wish I could get those 10 min. back.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    2) I am pretty sure the banker is totally fake, it's a computer probability program, I caught a second tonight while flipping channels just after the guy had taken the deal, Howie made him open the last few boxes anyway and instantly a price comes up on the big screen of how much the deal would have been for, some ridiculously specific amount no less.
    That's the point I was trying to make but JT did so much more clearly.

DURING the show the banker is this big character, a nemesis to the contestants who are "fighting" against him or whatever, and they build up all this drama of the banker's offer. Then, like you said, once the deal is made they start rattling off numbers of what the offers would have been...it's really goofy.