Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

POTF2 Bubble Yellowing

While walking through my room just now, my carded POTF2 CTC Holo Leia R2-D2 caught my eye, not because it's a nifty figure, but because the friggin' bubble is heavily yellowed! The card is in a Protech soft case that's been sealed for probably 5 years, and has been on my wall in its current location for 3 or 4 years, but before that was in a spot that got hit with direct sun for about 30 minutes a day. However, none of the other carded POTF2 figures I have in that area are yellowing like this, so I'm beginning to wonder if the soft case is holding in the outgassing causing the bubble to yellow.

I don't really care that much that it's yellow, I'm not planning on selling or trading it, but it's the first SW figure I've ever had do this, so it's on my mind.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Goes to show you star cases are not at all good for figures.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I don't have many carded figures, but I do have CTC R2 and Stormtrooper still on their cards. They both seem a little yellow, the Stormtrooper more than R2. They are both stored in a cardboard box, so they never get any sunlight, just some heat.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

That is strange. I would've figured that Hasbro would've figured out something to counteract the yellowing. The vintage figures yellowed and cracked only because the bubbles were made to last for only a couple of years.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Maybe they tried a different plastic in the CTC line. The few POTF2, flashback, and Episode I figures I have carded show no sign of yellowing.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

Weird, why would these be different material from the Ep 1 bubbles? But it could very well be the case, I have some Ep 1s carded that aren't yellow at all, 1 of which is *in* a starcase.

Don't say "cracked", I am fearing the odd stress marks I'm seeing on the front could be cracks developing.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Weird, why would these be different material from the Ep 1 bubbles? But it could very well be the case, I have some Ep 1s carded that aren't yellow at all, 1 of which is *in* a starcase.
    It's possible. I think that's the reason why ROTJ bubbles tend to yellow alot faster than most of the others is because they tried a different plastic and it fared alot worse.

Don't say "cracked", I am fearing the odd stress marks I'm seeing on the front could be cracks developing.
    I have yet to hear about any cracking. I would assume that it would come from the POTF2 figures first (i.e. orange carded ones) but if they switched plastics for whatever reason then it's possible.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

I have a few EP1 figures and also CTC R2 and Stormtrooper that have yellowed. The CTC were extras that I had and were in plastic containers and were not exposed to any light. They were in with other figures and none of them yellowed.

Also I'm sure Hasbro doesn't care if the bubbles yellow, they most likely use what ever is available and most cost effective.

Some of my potf2 figures had been in too much light. The bubbles began to yellow. I had to open them because they looked bad.

B.
    TDV
    One way to out think people is to make them think you think they'll think what you are not really trying to get them to think what you think.

Yikes, sorry to hear that JT. I hope this won't be a trend we see in the next few years. I know many have seen the theater Luke begin to flop off cards, mine has slightly begun to peel.

I've made efforts to kill the sun level where my toys are. I hope that will help somewhat. Though it's suck if the cases add to the problem since that is the way I display my harder to find items.
    Hasbro, Wuher needs help, bring us Ackmena http://www.petitiononline.com/Ackmena/petition.html

Kenobi must be the Smith or Johnson of Tatooine