Garindan (Escape From Mos Eisley)

This new figure is the second time that Garindan has been made into a figure, though this time he comes without any ridiculous nicknames such as "Long Snoot."

Garindan is sculpted very well this time around; his face is pretty much identical to the film. He's articulated at the head (ball joint), shoulders (ball joint), elbows, wrists, waist, legs, and boots. His legs are positioned in such a way that his left one has to be slightly forward from the right, and since the boot articulation does nothing, Garindan's kind of leaning at an angle. Also, his elbows' cut articulation make it somewhat difficult for Garindan to hold his comlink to his mouth.

One of the biggest differences from the 1996 Garindan is the cloth cape. It can be fully removed, and it reveals Garindan's tiny ears underneath. It's a bit shorter than the other one (not too much, though), but as we never see Garindan below the waist in the film there's no way to tell what's accurate. However, we do see him from the side in the film, and that shows us that there's a flap that goes about halfway down his back, which is MIA in both Garindan figures. I suppose, if you wanted, you could fold the cloak in the back to make the flap.

Another major difference is Garindan's holster. It's quite involved. On his left hip, there's a place for his comlink (which, thankfully, is a separate piece from his hand). On the right, there's a place for his gun (which is really cool). The strap that holds the holster to the leg is part of the holster instead of part of the leg (on figures like VOTC/VTSC Han); it's a nice feature I'd like to see used on more figures in the future.

In addition to the cloak, comlink, and blaster, Garindan comes with the standard TSC base and new red hologram. It's pretty nice overall so I'll give him an A-.

I'm with you all the way on this one. This Garindan is like buying the Beefcake Luke from 1995 and then buying the retooled Luke from today. The difference is phenominal. Normally I am not a softgoods fan because the cloaks puff out figs, but this Garindan is perfection. I would never wish a remake of this fig at this point.
    After 11 months The BEST/WORST figure poll is still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL
    but as we never see Garindan below the waist in the film there's no way to tell what's accurate. However, we do see him from the side in the film, and that shows us that there's a flap that goes about halfway down...
    I won't even touch this one, but it's too funny not to quote

JJL I agree with you on this figure. IMO Hasbro couldn't do too much to make Garindan better. I'm very happy with the look of this one.
    Hasbro, Wuher needs help, bring us Ackmena http://www.petitiononline.com/Ackmena/petition.html

Kenobi must be the Smith or Johnson of Tatooine

OUT of the gutter?

It is funny: As a literature professor, I find myself having to constantly tell my students to get their minds in the gutter. It is funny to see the opposite come up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL
    Get your mind out of the damn gutter.
    Sorry, I couldn't help myself. To see that quote in a middle of a review for a character sometimes referred to as Longsnout is priceless.

I'll try to contain myself. Good review though JJL
    Hasbro, Wuher needs help, bring us Ackmena http://www.petitiononline.com/Ackmena/petition.html

Kenobi must be the Smith or Johnson of Tatooine

Long Snoot, not "snout". And that's part of his official name, check it out: http://www.starwars.com/databank/cha...dan/index.html
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Long Snoot, not "snout". And that's part of his official name, check it out: http://www.starwars.com/databank/cha...dan/index.html
    When I read the first post, I was thinking the same thing even though I mistakenly thought it was "snout" too. Good review, John.
    One way to out think people is to make them think you think they'll think what you are not really trying to get them to think what you think.