Troop Transporter - REPAIRS!

I wrote in a few weeks ago looking for information on repairing my broken Imperial troop transporter. This is the classic Kenner vehicle that made six sound effects from the movie. BigBarada directed me to www.sandcrawlerworkshop.com . It's run by a guy by the name of Rob Johnson. Long story short - My transporter works again. I sent it to Rob mainly to get the 'voice box' working again, but decided on cleaning, new decals, & replacement cannon. Just got it back today, and it looks great. Rob was very good about sending updates to let me know how it was coming . . . but let's get to what's important - the cost. Very reasonable. I feel very satisified with the price. I got the transport cleaned, new decals applied, a few parts replaced, and the voice box repaired for about 20 bucks. Hearing the Stormtrooper say "There's one, set for stun" after 18 years: priceless.

I don't mean to sound like I'm just here to hawk his services, but if you're a vintage collector with a piece that could stand repairs, Rob's your man.

Smile

Good to hear you got it fixed! Now you can play with it outside again!

I have a different take on this, though. I have (perhaps a bit too much) emotional attachments to my Star Wars vehicles and figures. If I want to improve the condition, I try and find a new one in better shape. Couple of reasons: 1) there's that "thrill of the hunt" aspect I rarely get anymore, and 2) I can still keep my memories intact. Cases in point; I have an X-Wing Fighter with only the bottom 2 S-foils, 2 laser cannons, no canopy, and stickers with my Rebel Pilot code names (I forget what they were) on the sides. I also have a Snowspeeder minus the tow cable cord, my canopy has no clear plastic, there's sand from who-knows-where in it, and again there are "blast marks" and different stickers all over it. You think I'm gonna pay someone to "fix" those mistakes? No way! Now, don't take this that what you did was foolish, Ken. It's just that I wouldn't do that to the ones I bought or got when I was a kid. Now, if I buy them now, that'd be a different story, but I think I'd wait to find one in good condition first. Yet, a happy collector is a good collector!

Oh well. I's been talkin' too long. Bye bye!
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Bel, I hear what you're saying, and I did stop to consider whether I would be spoiling my Transporter by letting someone restore it.

The thing is, at least for me, getting that voice box fixed created such a warm rush of nostalgia, it was well worth the risk of fading the years of "customizing" (also read: rough play) I had put into it.

I think you put it best with "happy collector" - I'm sure there are purists who would say I lessened the value by repairing it . . .it reminds me of Spinal Tap, when Nigel forbids people to even look at his prized guitar. (OK, that's a little extreme.) For me, being able to show my 6-year-old son a cool, working toy from when I was a kid, well, that was also worth it.

By the way, he was less-than-impressed by 1979's "cutting-edge" sound effect technology . . . .

Anyhow, thanks for your thoughts on the matter. And I will be taking it outside, but not in the sandbox.

Smile

Thanks for the review, Ken!

I know that, at least for me, some of my stuff didn't weather the times in the attic/basement very well. Stickers dried up and peeled off, parts that I had at some point in the past are missing...

I have my Millennium Falcon on display on my dresser in my bedroom (the wife is very tolerant). But it is kind of dirty in the nooks and crannies, and when I tried to use compressed air to clean it off, some of the stickers just blew right off.

I try to restore these things as closely to the condition they were when they were received as brand new when I was a child. I figure I probably had all the parts at least for a while, right?

But, hey, I also completely understand the points of view of the people who did custom paint jobs, creative battle damage involving lighters, etc. I just aim at a different point in the toy's life.

Just my opinions. Your mileage may vary.

Rob
    Repair, refurbish, restore
    www.sandcrawlerworkshop.com

yeah, great review, thanks for bringing it to our attention!
    Master Obi-Wan has lost a planet, how embarassing. - the great yoda