Page 213 of 433 FirstFirst ... 113163203209210211212213214215216217223263313 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,130 of 4324
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Nice. There's quite a few movies I want to see, and I'll add these to the list.
    Add it to the list and immediately move it to the top of your queue.
    "That's the best deal you're gonna get. I won't tell you you can save yourself, because you can't."

Quote Originally Posted by Ji'dai View Post

A titled British woman (Nicole Kidman) falls in love with her cattle drover (Hugh Jackman), mothers a young mixed-race aboriginal boy (Brandon Walters), brings her ranch back from the brink of failure, and survives an attack by the same Japanese fleet that bombed Pearl Harbor in the enjoyable 2008 film Australia.
    Is it true that the Japanese fleet bombed Australia as well? Why? Does Australia have a formidable navy or long-range air force?

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Is it true that the Japanese fleet bombed Australia as well? Why?
    Yes, the Japanese fleet bombed the port city of Darwin, Australia in early 1942. I imagine it was to destroy any harbor facilities that could be used by the US or Britain.
    Does Australia have a formidable navy or long-range air force?
    If by Australia you mean Great Britain, then yes, the British had a large navy and air force, but it was occupied protecting the home isles from the Germans, who were a much greater threat than the Japanese.

---

A London couple suspect that their secretive new tenant is Jack the Ripper in the dull 1944 horror movie The Lodger. Turns out that he is.

A man (William Elliott) searches for his brother’s killer by leading a rancher’s (Walter Brennan) cattle drive in the 1950 western The Showdown. One of the trail-hands is responsible and the man aims to flush him out on the long drive, but soon learns the person responsible was the one he least suspected. Features Henry Morgan (Col. Potter on TV’s M*A*S*H) as a hot-headed cowboy that is proven innocent of the crime.

Watched Slumdog Millionaire on Blu Ray yesterday.....such a great flick, I really enjoy it. I think I'll end up buying it, hopefully if I can get it under 20 bones....not in a rush.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Anti-Nazi student resistance member Sophie Scholl is executed by the Third Reich in the 2005 biography Sophie Scholl: The Final Days. Scholl was a member of the White Rose, a student group led by her brother Hans and devoted to spreading democratic ideas and protesting Hitler’s bungling of the war. Sophie, Hans, and another member are arrested and turned over to the Gestapo after being caught passing out leaflets at a university. The three confess under questioning but refuse to name names. During a show trial in the infamous People’s Court, Sophie, her brother, and their friend are tried, convicted, sentenced to death, and executed by guillotine all in the same day.

Today we saw Bonnie and Clyde. What a strange, exhilarating movie! Certainly in its original time period it must have really been something (as we know it was).
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Today we saw Bonnie and Clyde. What a strange, exhilarating movie! Certainly in its original time period it must have really been something (as we know it was).
    Yes, it certainly was! I was but a youngster when this came out. The thing I remember most upon seeing the movie was the level of graphic violence (for the time). I don't know if they had the movie rating system yet in 1967 (there's your homework assignment for the day, JJL) but I was able to get into the theater with my older brothers no problem. It's funny to look back at who was in it: Warren Beatty was kind of a teen matinee idol prior to the movie (a few short years ago he was a semi-regular on the old Dobie Gillis TV show) and Faye Dunaway was virtually an unknown! Same for Gene Hackman. My how things changed!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

The MPAA rating system was implemented on November 1, 1968.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

During the Cuban missile crisis, a b-movie director (John Goodman) thrills and chills audiences with his latest horror movie at a Key West theater filled with electric seats, a massive sound system, and other physical effects in the watchable 1993 coming-of-age comedy Matinee.

Agent double-O seven (Roger Moore) discovers a scheme by a black Caribbean gangster (Yaphet Kotto) to smuggle heroin into the United States in the 1973 blaxploitation Bond flick Live and Let Die. Features Jane Seymour as the tarot card-reading “Solitaire” and the first appearance of the fat, southern, bigoted Sheriff J.W. Pepper (Clifton James). Paul McCartney’s band Wings performs the title song.

During the Second World War, a German officer at a concentration camp employs a group of Jewish bankers, printers, and a convicted forger to make fake British currency in order to undermine the enemy’s economy in the engaging 2007 film The Counterfeiters. Living in much better conditions than others in the camp, this small group of Jews succeed in making funny British money, but are able to delay production of counterfeit US dollars until the tide of the war turns against Germany and the camp is liberated.