Page 240 of 437 FirstFirst ... 140190230236237238239240241242243244250290340 ... LastLast
Results 2,391 to 2,400 of 4364
    Quote Originally Posted by Ji'dai View Post
    A Greek partisan (Telly Savalas) helps an antiquarian (David Niven) and other prisoners escape from a German Major’s (Roger Moore) island archaeological excavation and destroy a hidden missile base in the boring 1979 war movie Escape to Athena. The all-star cast, which features such 1970s luminaries as Richard Roundtree (Shaft), Stefanie Powers, Claudia Cardinale (Once Upon a Time in the West), Elliott Gould, and even Sonny Bono, can‘t save this one. Michael Sheard (Admiral Ozzel in ESB and Adolf Hitler in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade) plays yet another Nazi.

A motley group of a low-lifes, boozers, and other losers barricade themselves in a remote desert tavern and battle flesh-eating creatures in the rather fun 2006 horror movie Feast. Features rocker Henry Rollins as a traveling motivational speaker and Clu Gallagher (Bert in The Return of the Living Dead) plays the bartender.
    I bought a VHS copy of Escape from Athena a couple of years ago, since a region 1 DVD hasn't been released. I remember seeing it air on ABC back in the early 80s.

Roger Moore's non-Bond movies aren't the greatest. My personal fave is the Wild Geese, about mercenaries in Africa. Richard Burton and Richard Harris also star. Another good one is Shout at the Devil, with Lee Marvin, about two adventurers in East Africa at the outbreak of WWI.

Feast is good. There's two sequels, but I hear they're inferior.

The black stormtroopers with the mirrored blast helmets protecting the Nazi rocket base in Escape to Athena was so out of left field. I couldn't help but laugh when I saw that.

---

After a gangster (Martin Landau) kills his brother, a nightclub owner (Jim Brown) goes to war against the mob in the rather unexciting 1972 blaxploitation action flick Black Gunn. Most of the humor comes from the black and white characters exchanging colorful, but stereotypical, racist metaphors.

The rise in marijuana use among American teens is presented in the true story of a young woman’s casual pot smoking which eventually led her into doing “H” - heroin - and finally becoming a dealer to support her own habit in the sobering 1951 documentary short film The Terrible Truth. Features an elderly California judge who work[ed] with these teen drug cases, but the audio is out of sync with the video, which makes his scenes somewhat comical.

Old newsreel footage and narration exposes the private lives and personal idiosyncracies of 20th Century dictators in the interesting but not too exciting 1999 short documentary Human Remains. Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Franco, are Chairman Mao are featured.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

I started watching The Gumball Rally at my Dad's house yesterday, but couldn't finish it since we had a family get-together to attend. Fun flick though.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Well since I'm waiting for Watchmen on Netflix, got Watchmen Tales of the Black Freighter. Pretty much sets the mood, nice to see the detail. Of course, the criticism is valid, a movie shouldn't recreate panel by panel a comic. This was definitely an attempt to fill the void left out by what had to be cut from the theatrical release.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

I just finished watching "Watchmen" thus answering the question...."Who watches the Watchmen"

It wasn't what I expected, not having read the comics, I found it to be very dark, closer the Sin City than X-Men or Spiderman. Overall an excellent movie.

Oh yeah, and it was long as ****!
    May the force be with you.

I just finished "watching" it too. Yeah It's nearly midnight.
    I enjoyed it nonetheless.
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

Just watched Stepbrothers with my wife....very crude....very sophmoronic...very funny!
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

I watched Stagecoach this afternoon. It was alright, but I felt like I missed where they introduced the characters, since I often had no idea what was going on.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Saturday watched The Incredible Hulk. Much better than the previous film, and I liked all the musical score alluding to the TV show.

Sunday watched W, the Oliver Stone film. Was it really a black comedy or was it biographical?
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

Quote Originally Posted by pbarnard View Post
    Sunday watched W, the Oliver Stone film. Was it really a black comedy or was it biographical?
    It was neither. Black comedies are funny and biographies are factual.

Oliver Stone is so far detached from reality (conspiracy NUT) it would be impossible for him to make a factual documentary, and his only real comedy was "Natural Born Killers".

Ooooo.....I can't wait to see his new collaborative effort (mockumentary) with Hugo Chavez.

I hear next up on his plate is a Documentary with Kim Jong Il, maybe we'll all get lucky and Stone will get locked up in N. Korea for being a spy.

Seriously, if you want a good, funny, entertaining movie from last year, go rent Religulous, while Bill Maher is nowhere near as funny as he used to be, there are still a few laughs to be had in this film. We can only long for the days when Maher was playing characters in films like "Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death", or "House II: The Second Story". Both of which I would recommend over above mentioned films.
    May the force be with you.