Page 270 of 426 FirstFirst ... 170220260266267268269270271272273274280320370 ... LastLast
Results 2,691 to 2,700 of 4257
    I think one of the best exchanges in the whole film is when Trip (Denzel Washington) talks informally with Colonel Robert Shaw (Matthew Broderick) by the lakeside camp before the Battle of Fort Wagner.

Trip said, "Why are we fighting this war? Ain't nobody going to win."

Shaw said, "Well you won't get anything if we lose."

That's so true and completely encompassing of the situation they faced.

Ignore some of the political reasons the Republicans (then controlling the Union) wanted to win the war.

It was the idealists who wanted to free the slaves - idealists like Col. Shaw. And it was all the slaves who wanted their families to be free (like Sgt. Rollins - Morgan Freeman).

As the movie clearly showed, racism would persist and many didn't care if it did. At this stage, blacks just wanted to fight for their freedom. And they had no where to go. They were many generations removed from being African. Once they had their freedom, they would just be unwanted free people in a land they had to adapt to living in on their own. Maybe characters like Thomas wanted to also have a right to vote, own land, etc. but others just wanted to be free and couldn't even conceive of a Civil Rights movement, let alone Barack Obama, 150 years later.

But Trip was right too: "Aint nobody going to win." In a way, he was right. The real victory for most people didn't come after the Union was held together. The slaves were free as a strategic consequence really - a victory for black people I'd say. But many white soldiers fought because they needed work or to feel like they weren't cowards. The Irish brigades were filled with men who's only concern was to escape starvation.

Indeed, I don't think we've yet seen the complete victory of the Civil War realized. Barack Obama is another step towards that - and we are closer than we ever were before (those of us who are idealists), but the Civil War is not won yet (in terms of equality issues). In terms of the supercedence of the Union over States' Rights, then yes, I'd say 1865 settled the issue. Those fighting the war didn't seek that particular victory though.

I wonder if Robert and Trip thought of any of this themselves, or if Robert saw an 'effed world" which didn't hold enough meaning for him to remain in, versus charging up that last hill to Fort Wagner?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I saw The Abominable Dr. Phibes yesterday. It was pretty cheesy and goofy, but also quite fun. I think the best way I can describe it that it's just "weird".

Got to see A Christmas Story on the big screen yesterday.
    Even though they were projecting a full screen version and the sound quality kinda sucked I forgave it, because it was awesome seeing A Christmas Story on a big screen.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy View Post
    Got to see A Christmas Story on the big screen yesterday.
    Even though they were projecting a full screen version and the sound quality kinda sucked I forgave it, because it was awesome seeing A Christmas Story on a big screen.
    [FONT=Courier New]Very nice![/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New][/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]I am making a Leg Lamp for my wife for Christmas. I will start a thread and post pictures as I go.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

I watched Gettysburg.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I watched Gettysburg.
    Great movie!

I just watched Spider Man 3 for the first time since it's opening weekend back in 2007. It's definitely still the worst of the three and I hope they can somehow redeem everything in #4.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada re: Gettysburg
    Great movie!
    Yeah. I love the music score for that one, too. I bought the soundtrack.
    Gods and Generals was made afterwards, but the music is somehow weaker in some ways - darker, too. It was strange that Stonewall Jackson wasn't given a more heroic theme, given the fact that they were attempting to treat both sides of the Civil War conflict with respect and an accurate telling of their story.

I just watched Spider Man 3 for the first time since it's opening weekend back in 2007. It's definitely still the worst of the three and I hope they can somehow redeem everything in #4.
    I liked Spider-Man 3. I don't know which one is my favorite. But are they making No.4. Will Tobey McGuire (please) star in it? I hope this is not one of those films that threatens to cast Nicholas Cage?!

I'm not sure if I care if they replace Kirsten Dunst, or just have a different character as Parker's love interest all-together, but Toby is essential. I mean without him, we might worry that they'll put in George Clooney.

However, I could see Ewan McGreggor playing an older Parker. That might be interesting. I don't know if he'd do it, but ya never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    [FONT=Courier New]I am making a Leg Lamp for my wife for Christmas. I will start a thread and post pictures as I go.[/FONT]
    They make an authentic movie replica for $150 (or so). I'm so tempted to get one someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    But are they making No.4. Will Tobey McGuire (please) star in it? I hope this is not one of those films that threatens to cast Nicholas Cage?!

I'm not sure if I care if they replace Kirsten Dunst, or just have a different character as Parker's love interest all-together, but Toby is essential. I mean without him, we might worry that they'll put in George Clooney.
    Spidey 4 is definitely a go with Sam Raimi (and I'm 99% sure Tobey and 75% sure Kristen).
    Tons of Rumors abound, including: John Malkovich as Vulture, Anne Hathaway as Felicia Hardy (in costume as someone other than Black Cat), NO Lizard yet again, Raimi would like Morbius...the list goes on...
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy View Post
    They make an authentic movie replica for $150 (or so). I'm so tempted to get one someday.
    [FONT=Courier New]With parts I am at about $50-$60 I think. My wife and I are doing a homemade/craft gift component to Christmas and this is what I cam up with last week. The mannequin leg is set to arrive at my office on December 21, so I will have 2 1/2 days to work on it.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

My fiance' and I watched A CHRISTMAS STORY over the weekend. The ending of that film with the Old Man coming through is still one of the touching, fantastic endings to a film, ever. Darren McGavin's childlike giggle adds a great touch to it all.

I watched:

"9"- Beautiful animation and an interesting story don't make up for a plot that is pretty goofy and no real characters we can relate to/cheer for.

In the near future, mankind has wiped itself out with its own technological creations and the only survivors seem to be a group of stitched creations. The awakening of #9 (voiced by Elijah Wood) will unleash a series of events that put the future of the world in jeopardy.

The problem is that the characters don't really make an impact and the story just doesn't flow well. When the flick ended, I just said, "eh" and forgot most of what I had just seen. Still, very awesome visuals. Rating **1/2 out of ****

and

"Whatever Works"- Larry David stars as Boris in this Woody Allen film about a cynic, eccentric man living in NY whose life changes when he takes in a runaway (Evan Rachel Wood).

I will admit that I enjoyed the film, but David's constant cynical nagging rants do get pretty tiresome after a while. And the film also does rely on coincidence quite a bit, but this does work well with Boris' negative view of the world. I thought the supporting cast was great. David does a good job playing a cynic (think his CYE character times 10) as Allen's humor suits him well.

All in all, the laughs in this movie do outweight any problems I had with it. Rating- *** out of ****

"Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"