Page 378 of 435 FirstFirst ... 278328368374375376377378379380381382388428 ... LastLast
Results 3,771 to 3,780 of 4347
    The Avengers - AWESOME!

Underworld: Awakening - Not the best, not the worst, in the series. I rather enjoyed it more than Evolution. Of course they left it open for another film.
    May the force be with you.

Rented:

Hugo - Kind of slow, but enjoyable. Although I'm not really sure who the intended audience for the movie was. You would think with a kid as the protagonist, it would be a kid's movie, but I can't see your average kid caring enough about old, silent movies for this to really hold their attention. I kind of thought that they dragged the whole mystery of the story out too much and I found myself getting a little impatient for it to wrap up. Plus, the fantasy is so heavily interwoven with the history, it's hard to care about the outcome of the movie without knowing for sure if the ending was in any way factual. In other words, if they actually did discover all of the stuff that they claim at the end of the movie, then that's awesome. If not, then the entire movie feels like a giant waste of time.

The Adventures of Tin Tin - I liked it, but some of the chase sequences were so over the top that they completely pulled me out of the movie and they actually became a little tiresome as well. Just more examples of filmmakers adding mindless action to a movie because they can, without any concern for whether it advances the story or just takes up time. For the most part, though, it was a very well-written story and a lot smarter than your average animated film. Not a movie I would buy, but I might watch it one more time before I have to return the movie to the video store.

Bought:

Rango - I love this movie and I'm glad I waited until I owned a Blu-Ray player to finally buy it. Probably my favorite animated film of the last several years. Excellent story that's not just a lot of silliness, even though there is a lot of silliness and some real laugh out loud moments. Also, ILM really outdid themselves with the CG in this movie and I wish the alien creatures from the Prequels looked half as good. For anyone else who watched it, did you get a distinct "Mos Eisley Cantina" vibe when Rango first walked into the saloon?

Terminator: Salvation - I remember renting this a while back and enjoying it, but it feels more like a low-budget, made-for-TV, sci-fi film now that i watch it again. I did watch the director's cut, so that might have screwed the pacing up a bit. I liked Sam Worthington's character a lot, but Christian Bale was terrible in this film, almost as bad in the role of John Conner as he is the role of Batman.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Jim Jam, you didn't talk about what you thought of The A-Team.

BigBarada, I had originally hated Terminator Salvation when I first saw it. I'm the opposite from you. I've liked it more on subsequent viewings now that I know the film is about Marcus as a Terminator. I liked Christian Bale as John Connor and hope he and Worthington make more films together - maybe with Blood Moongood, too as Blair Williams, too.

The Marcus character is a Terminator. He can survive without a real heart. They can make a machine heart for him - to keep his human mind and outer skin alive.

Anyway, I am watching WWII movies again:

Pearl Harbor - love this movie. Michael Bay's best, above and beyond Transformers stuff. Ben Affleck, Josh Hartnett, and the sexy and stunning Kate Beckinsale.

Battle of Britain - good movie showing the air struggle against Hitler's Germany.

U-571 - my favorite submarine movie of them all! Mathew McConighey, Bill Paxton, Jon Bon Jovi. The singular best one over Red October and Crimson Tide even.

Shindler's List - incomparable to anything else.

Defiance - the best Jewish revenge against the Nazis movie starring Daniel Craig (James Bond) and Liev Schreiber (Sabertoothe) in a TRUE WWII story! Way better than Inglorious Basturds but that's a different kind of film.

Valkyrie - great Tom Cruise picture also based on a true story. Nicely and suspensely done.

Enemy At The Gates - Way awesome Russian Front movie with current film stars in a great sniper vs. sniper action film with crazy battle action showing how determined and willing Stalin was to ruthlessly sacrafice his own countrymen to stop the Germans. Stalin was horrible, but his victory prevented Hitler from succeeding, which would have been worse. "One gun for every 2 men. When the guy in front of you DIES, you can use his gun. Now please run forward at the German machine guns and rocket launchers or your officers will shoot you when you turn around. Die with honor for the Motherland!" Whoa! I truly learned to respect the Russians for their sacrafice.

Saving Private Ryan - of course. The best entrance for the Americans ever -D-Day World War II! "Omaha's Dog Beach is OPEN!" - Captain John Miller (Tom Hanks).

Next up: A Bridge Too Far, the Battle of the Bulge, and Patton!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I always watch the Battle of the Bulge on Dec. 17. Just one of my quirks.

TCM has some great WWII classics lined up for the Memorial Day weekend.

Queen of Outer Space.

Curse of the Swamp Creature.

Zontar, the thing from Venus.

Quote Originally Posted by OC47150 View Post
    TCM has some great WWII classics lined up for the Memorial Day weekend.

Queen of Outer Space.

Curse of the Swamp Creature.

Zontar, the thing from Venus.
    Was Zontar with the SS?

Sorry....I couldn't resist....!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    Was Zontar with the SS?

Sorry....I couldn't resist....!
    It might've been a better movie if he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Jim Jam, you didn't talk about what you thought of The A-Team.
    I liked it, the whole business with the tank falling out of the air was rather silly but other then that I thought it was good. I'd see a sequel....or at least when it comes out on dvd.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    BigBarada, I had originally hated Terminator Salvation when I first saw it. I'm the opposite from you. I've liked it more on subsequent viewings now that I know the film is about Marcus as a Terminator. I liked Christian Bale as John Connor and hope he and Worthington make more films together - maybe with Blood Moongood, too as Blair Williams, too.
    I still liked the movie, but it just felt a bit smaller on my second viewing. Marcus Brody is probably the coolest character in the entire Terminator franchise as far as I'm concerned.

Anyways, I rented a couple of other films:

Slumdog Millionaire - Amazing movie! I'm not sure if it is actually based on a true story, but even if it's not, it still gives an unflinching look into the realities of life in the slums of India. However, even though a lot of the subject matter is very dark, the film never feels hopeless. There's always a sense of optimism that things are going to get better.

SuckerPunch - ugh, what a piece of crap this movie ended up being. It was recommended by a few friends of mine and even the girl at the video store told me it was one of her favorite movies of all time and went on and on about how she owned the soundtrack and who sang all of the tracks. Anyways, so I started watching it with high expectations, and I can respect what Zack Snyder was trying to do here (and I did get what the concept of the film was supposed to be), I just don't think it worked... at all. Maybe on paper or in the idea stages this sounded like a great idea for a movie, but the final result just seemed to fall apart. Especially when the film tries to confuse you about who was actually the main heroine of the story. I guess this was supposed to be a "girl power" movie, but the message it sends is anything but. Basically what this movie tells young girls is that all men are evil and only interested in raping them and the only way for girls to fight back is through prostitution.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Carnivale Season II. Pretty good, it had some strange moments although not as many as season I did. Considering the show was canned the end was rather disapointing...or I should say the lack of an end.