Page 381 of 427 FirstFirst ... 281331371377378379380381382383384385391 ... LastLast
Results 3,801 to 3,810 of 4263
    Went and watched the Pensacola Blue Wahoos play a baseball game in town. They lost but it was my first time at the new stadium and I was greatly impressed.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Very nice slicker!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

BigB, I'm write mostly tragic endings too. They seem to tell more passionate stories. Like the end of empire strikes back. Don't know what it is but happy endings - very cliche. I do plan on writing least 1 so maybe that will be rare in my work. I'll be interested to see how that goes on the market
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    BigB, I'm write mostly tragic endings too. They seem to tell more passionate stories. Like the end of empire strikes back. Don't know what it is but happy endings - very cliche. I do plan on writing least 1 so maybe that will be rare in my work. I'll be interested to see how that goes on the market
    I don't know if I would consider ESB to be a tragic ending, it was more along the lines of a "to be continued" ending since, by then, most people knew that there would be a third film. Plus, even though Boba Fett managed to escape with Han Solo and Luke got a thrashing from Darth Vader, the movie still never felt hopeless at the end.

Even with tragic endings, a film can still be thought provoking (the original Planet of the Apes and The Watchmen) or hopeful (300 and Gladiator), but when a movie just seems to frivolously kill off all the main characters for no other reason than to send the message of "this is what would really happen, doesn't life suck?" then you just have to wonder what was the point? I'm not saying that every film needs to have a tacked on Disney-like happy ending, because that would be just as bad. For instance, when they rewrote Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter with a happy ending for the Demi Moore film, it totally destroyed the impact of that story. But if the movie is going to end on a down note, then the audience still needs to feel like they got something out it and didn't just waste 2 hours of their time.

When I watch films like Drive and The Grey I tend to feel like I just wasted 2 hours of my life. Because they spent all of that time getting you to like these characters only to cavalierly kill them off in the end. Sure it might be realistic, but reality is no excuse for bad storytelling.

The Hurt Locker, or as I think of it The Bore Locker. Good stuff but it seemed to go on, where was the editing to tighten up those scenes?

BigBarada, what did you think of Alien 3? See, I liked it for the same reason as above - with the tragic ending type of thing going for it.

In the end, Ripley showed she'd sacrafice herself in order to prevent The Company from getting their hands on a Queen.

In fact, Alien 3 was probably the best WRITTEN Alien film for that reason.

Yeah Aliens (2) had the most action and "cool gear with tough Marines," and that's great for a shoot-em-up film for sure.

In the meanwhile, I think what you described as "this is what would really happen, doesn't life suck?" is a great "point."

I write to that. It's real and a reflection upon reality. So maybe we learn from that.

In my books:

1) everyone is self-centered even when they start off trying not to be
    2) everyone is a hypocrite, whether they know it or not, until they realize it, and get comfortable with it.
    3) the worst case scenerios occur as a result of (mostly Republican) political values (my series is called Buried Values for this reason)
    4) the religious (all Christian at the moment since they're the majority) are hypocritical
    5) the self-centered but admitted villains are the most honest, except if they need to be deceitful for their schemes
    6) what turns a good person bad is drummed in with very little subtlety, very much on purpose
    7) there are 3 characters for my reader to choose from to identify with - and their philosophies are very much opposites
    8) everyone's path leads them to their own hell they create - whether they are trying to be good or bad
    9) characters are shades of gray - the bad aren't sadists or something. They want things and don't let others get in their way.
    10) there's usually a love affair, but sex is shown to be the motivator that's used as a lure into usery by someone in the relationship

I'm going to continue these sorts of practices in my stories as I use:

Civil War gunfighting horsemen
    Treasure hunting adventure girls in modern times

and much more.

I try to find the most tabboo things to write about as well. And I am actually seeking a way to write a story that connects to the rest of these that incorporates a LOT of cannibalism or possibly seriously focuses on beastiality. First, because it's shocking and crass, and next because I'll succeed at making it relevant to my larger series storyline (or I just won't do it) - but I do have planned a whole book centered around suicide. Come to think of it - probably because it's such a depressed character and a depressing topic, that this book DOES have a happy ending (that's not a suicide afterall) exactly because you wouldn't think it was going to go there - especially if I've written 3 or 4 other badly ending stories.

I want to see Alien 3 on Blu-Ray. I understand there's an alternate beginning and ending, which makes me interested.

Mask of Fu Manchu. Great makeup job for Karloff the Great.

Mark of the Vampire. Legosi played an actor playing a vampire. Nice to see him ham it up in a Dracula-like role.

Mad Love. Peter Lorre is a mad surgeon who replaces pianist Clive Colin's damaged hands with the hands of a murderer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    BigBarada, what did you think of Alien 3?
    I've never been a fan of any Alien movie after Alien and Aliens. Alien 3 just felt like too much of a remake of Alien to me. Also, killing off Newt and Corporal Hicks before the movie even started pretty much made the climatic ending of Aliens completely pointless.

Interesting ideas on how you go about writing your stories. I can see that you are kind of a "big picture" writer in that you think of all of your books in the sense of a grand narrative.

Just got done watching the complete series of Robotech: The Macross Saga. Probably one of the most formative cartoons of my childhood and I've always felt a greater connection to characters like Rick Hunter, Lisa Hayes, Max Sterling, etc. than I ever felt towards Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, or Han Solo. The series is just as good as I remember it up to the big battle for Earth. However, I think it runs on a bit too long after that and the story starts to become messy and convoluted. In fact, all of the stuff about the Robotech Masters and Protoculture just feels shoehorned in to help segue into the next series.

Rewatched The Incredible Hulk on Blu-Ray. It's the first time I've seen it since watching The Avengers. I actually like how we now have 3 films with a CG Hulk and the Hulk looks very different in each film and Bruce Banner is played by a different actor each time; but there's still a loose narrative that you can follow when you watch the movies in order. It's kind of like when a comic book changes its artist and writer, then suddenly the entire look and feel of the book changes directions and all the characters look different; but they are still the same characters. It's also cool that the Hulk and Bruce Banner are not tied to one actor, so the character kind of transcends the films.

With that being said, however, I still hope that we don't have any more Bruce Banner recasting. Mark Ruffalo as Banner/Hulk is perfect and they don't ever need to change actors again.

Also, picked up the boxed set of the Lord of the Rings: Extended Edition trilogy. So I think it will be an LOTR marathon for me this weekend.

One more LOTR movie to watch, but I also rented a few movies:

John Carter - actually really good. I can't think of a single thing in the movie that I did not like, but at the same time, I don't feel any real excitement about it or have any urge to watch it again. Just like Cowboys and Aliens, I wanted to see the film and enjoyed it pretty much all the way through, but at the same time the film really failed to make any impact on me. Maybe it's the mixing of genres that doesn't interest me (although I understand that the post-Civil-War era in John Carter was only a few decades removed from "modern times" when the original book was written). Or maybe it's the fact that neither protagonist is a likable character at the beginning of their respective film and you eventually only learn to like them in spite of their attitudes, not because of them.

A Good Old Fashioned Orgy - you would think that a movie with this title would push lots of boundaries, but with the exception of a few scenes here and there, this film played it safe enough that it could have garnered a PG-13 rating with a bit of editing. I was hoping it would be more humorous than it was, but I can't remember if I laughed out loud even once while watching this film. I'm a big fan of Tyler Labine, but if he was trying to portray a poor man's Zach Galifianakis in this film, he failed miserably.

I've been re-watching Band of Brothers. Yeah, I own the box set on DVD - frankly because I never get tired of watching this.

Richard Winters was one heck of a real, live, actual hero.

He died in 2010 I think. Maybe it was a couple of years earlier than that.

I wish I could have met him and shook his hand.

I've met Jerry Coleman plenty of times, though.