Page 387 of 433 FirstFirst ... 287337377383384385386387388389390391397 ... LastLast
Results 3,861 to 3,870 of 4326
    I'm watching PT 109 with John F. Kennedy.

Did the men really see NO sharks when they abandoned ship and swam with the wounded for 4 miles to that island in Japanese territory?

Sharks. That's what I'd be worried about (besides starvation and dehydration).

But it's quite an ordeal that our future president and then war-hero went through.

The film presents John F. Kennedy as very noble and a war hero. I'm wondering how this chapter gets incorporated into a larger film about his life and him cheating on his beautiful wife with Marilyn Monroe? Or his dad with Mafia connections getting him elected President, and making sure that movie got made in the first place (as Hollywood was also controlled by the Mafia).

I watched Bugsy (about Las Vegas Mafia founder Bugsy Seagle) a couple of days ago. He was a maniac!

Virginia Hill was good taste though.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest and At World's End - I've never seen either of them before and they were okay; plus they only cost $1 each to rent. I think At World's End dragged on because there was simply too much going on with the plot. What was the purpose of Calypso being released? It seems like she was only put into the movie to give them an excuse for a big, special-effects heavy sea battle, then she disappears. When the most recent POTC hits the dollar rentals, I'll check that one out.

Wolverine - it's the first time I've seen it since it was in the theaters. I just wanted to see if it was really as bad as I remembered. It was worse. I thought of just shutting it off several times during the film, but I suffered through it. Now I hear that they have another Wolverine movie coming out next year? I'll only watch it if they recast Wolverine with someone who is physically a better match for the character (he's only supposed to be about 5' 5" tall, not over 6').
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

The Great Dictator (1940).

Charlie Chaplin started making this around the time of the invasion of Poland. He makes Hitler look like a ridiculous moron in ways that comedians even now would be iffy about since the guy was pure, distilled evil. He was a Jew, born in the UK and living in the US, in a world where he totally ripped a new one for an anti-Semitic guy with a special hatred for the US and Britain who was taking over all over Europe seemingly with little effort and had eyes on the whole damned world.

The man walked funny in so many of his movies because he had to avoid chafing his supernaturally enormous balls.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Die Hard, the not-edited-for-cable version ("Mr. Falcon," really?). Found out it was based on a 1970s book Nothing Lasts Forever, but those are not cheap to buy (only hardcover, it seems).
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Cowboys and Aliens

Still perplexed if this was just a bad movie like 50s-60s sci-fi movies, or a movie that was intentionally trying to be bad and parodying that genre. At any rate, it was bad. It wasn't the entertainment I was looking for...
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Die Hard, the not-edited-for-cable version ("Mr. Falcon," really?). Found out it was based on a 1970s book Nothing Lasts Forever, but those are not cheap to buy (only hardcover, it seems).
    My personal favorite is Maggot Farmer. And I think the original DH is based on two books. One of them was written by Roderick Thorpe.

The Expendables 2. This was one of the movies I've been waiting all year for, and it didn't disappoint! Told my buddy, let's see it again as we walked out. Bring on #3!

The Mummy (1932). Gotta love the classics.

Red State, this is not your fathers Kevin Smith film. I thought this was supposed to be a horror film, but that it certainly wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    Cowboys and Aliens

Still perplexed if this was just a bad movie like 50s-60s sci-fi movies, or a movie that was intentionally trying to be bad and parodying that genre. At any rate, it was bad. It wasn't the entertainment I was looking for...
    I think they tried to play the entire movie straight with no intention of making it silly or campy. As a result the film seemed to me like it took itself way too seriously and ended up feeling completely lifeless and devoid of soul. Not to mention the characters felt very one-dimensional. I personally have no interest in male lead characters who have only two facial expressions - angry and brooding - because they just don't have enough humanity for me to care about them at all. Sure the guy lost his wife, but is that any excuse for him to be such an insufferable bore throughout the entire film?
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I think they tried to play the entire movie straight with no intention of making it silly or campy. As a result the film seemed to me like it took itself way too seriously and ended up feeling completely lifeless and devoid of soul.
    Do you remember the reports (and I was in such a theater) when the early trailer ran, that audiences laughed? Then the later ones got "serious" in their tone.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I think they tried to play the entire movie straight with no intention of making it silly or campy.
    I came away with the latter impression of your statement, BigB. I thought it was a failed attempt at being cute. I'm horrified to think they wanted the audience to look at it as a serious attempt at sci-fi in an unconventional setting. *sheesh!*
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!