Page 418 of 431 FirstFirst ... 318368408414415416417418419420421422428 ... LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,180 of 4308
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Excellent films. Ask if you have questions.
    Do I have questions?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I watched this tonight, hoping despite the overwhelmingly negative reviews that it was one of those movies that people hate because they're not smart enough to "get" it. (Not a jab at you, BigB; it just looked like it should be that sort of movie, and, well, most moviegoers I know were confused by The Truman Show.) It seems on paper like it should be a really intelligent, trippy movie. It was entirely flash, no substance at all. With even a little depth, or some cleaning up of the script, this could've been great; the visuals alone, I thought, were enough to recommend anyone see it once. But not twice. And not expecting much.

The ending was a slap in the face. I can't be more blunt about it. It broke every rule of storytelling, and not for any real purpose. Just a mess. A pretty mess, but a mess nonetheless.
    I agree, it reminded me of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.
    May the force be with you.

Free HBO channels weekend! Saw Muppets From Space, where Gonzo finds out he really is an alien. As usual, lots of cameo appearances throughout.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Monolith Monsters (1956). Gotta love the old Universal flicks.

Human Centipede. Fear.net was showing this for free OnDemand. I'd been wanting to check it out for some time since I first learned of it 1 - 2 years ago. The premise was interesting yet disturbing. Glad I didn't buy a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by OC47151 View Post
    Monolith Monsters (1956). Gotta love the old Universal flicks.
    You were watching Svengoolie last night, weren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by OC47151 View Post
    Human Centipede. Fear.net was showing this for free OnDemand. I'd been wanting to check it out for some time since I first learned of it 1 - 2 years ago. The premise was interesting yet disturbing. Glad I didn't buy a copy.
    Be more glad it was only the first one you saw. Human Centipede 2 is even more disturbing. In related news, Human Centipede 3 is supposed to come out sometime this year.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malakite View Post
    You were watching Svengoolie last night, weren't you?

Be more glad it was only the first one you saw. Human Centipede 2 is even more disturbing.
    Every Saturday night. I record and watch it Sunday morning before church.

And next week is one of my favorite pieces of 50s cheese: the Mole People!!!

I heard that about HC 2. I first saw HC at a local used video store. I didn't want to pay $15; don't like making blind purchases at that price. Then a few weeks later, I saw that Target (!) was selling it. That intrigued me even more.

I check out Fear.net OnDemand pretty regularly for the free movies. Saw Zombie Strippers and Tuck and Dale Vs. Evil in the last year.

One of the best movies I've seen in a theater in a long time: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I loved the short story, and it translated well to the big screen. The young ladies behind me didn't get many of the jokes, while I LOL'd at will. Great!
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

The Stunt Man. Peter O'Toole is a Sam Peckinpah-like director filming a WWI movie. Steven Railsback is a criminal on the run who becomes the primary stuntman on the set. Not bad, but I like My Favorite Year better.

Another Dawn (1937). Errol Flynn actioneer set in a fictional Middle Eastern country after WWI. What can I say, I'm a sucker for an Errol Flynn movie.

Came across a quirky British comedy on PBS called SPY. A middle-aged, divorced father quits his dead-end job at an electronics store, takes a public service test and finds himself in MI-5. The main character, Tim, has a friend at the store. The friend's name tag read "Bored." Thought it was pretty humorous.

Marlowe (1969). Another take on Raymond Chandler's classic detective, Philip Marlowe, this time starring James Garner in late 1960s LA. I liked Garner's take on Marlowe better than Elliott Gould's in The Long Goodbye.

Also watched the last of the JFK assassination specials I had DVR'd: Lee Harvey Oswald - 48 Hours to Live. Very interesting. The head Dallas police detective thought theorized there was more to what was going on but with Oswald's death, never proved it.

A Scanner Darkly - It's an experimental animated film that uses a form of digital rotoscoping to create a look that I don't think is as technically impressive as what the animators were hoping for. It stars Keanu Reeves, Robert Downey Jr., Woody Harrelson, and Winona Ryder and with the way the film is animated it's pretty easy to figure out who they are. The downside of rotoscoping is that the actors usually have to ham it up quite a bit more so that their expressions aren't lost in the process and there seems to be a lot of that in this movie. Still, it's worth watching at least once; but there is a lot of sex, foul language and nudity and the entire story is about drug addiction, so it's not a kids' cartoon by any means.