Page 424 of 433 FirstFirst ... 324374414420421422423424425426427428 ... LastLast
Results 4,231 to 4,240 of 4328
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I finally got around to watching Man of Steel for the second time. I saw it when it came out in theaters and thought it was awesome, but then I started talking to coworkers and friends of mine and they all seemed to unanimously think it was horrible. So I decided to go ahead and test how renting movies on iTunes works and to see just how HD their HD movies are. So I picked MOS and I just got done watching it. I have to say that I like the movie even more the second time around.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why everyone seems to be so up in arms against this movie. As a kid who grew up a Superman fan, this is the Superman movie I've always wanted to see. Ah well, I guess people are just kind of stuck in the Christopher Reeve Superman rut and can't get out. But I think comparing Man of Steel to the Richard Donner films is a bit like comparing Christian Bale's Batman to the Adam West Batman and complaining that they're not the same. They're not supposed to be the same.
    Oh man, last summer just before Comic-Con I had some time to take my sister to the movies, it's a rare occasion, I was paying her back for her putting me up during termite tenting at my place. Someone had said Man of Steel was something I "had to see", so I took my sis even though it's not her type of thing, but she felt like it might be interesting. We both HATED it almost equally and generally for the same reasons.

- The beginning feels like it badly wants to stand in contrast to Avatar and a few other movies, it's loud and shooty and ends up dull as hell.
    - "We can't save Krypton because we don't have the resources, but let's put our prisoners into this REALLY COMPLICATED SPACESHIP!"
    - Superman isn't Superman at any point, he doesn't become Superman, he just gets handed powers and fights and kills.
    - He at no point saves Smallville or Metropolis, but he does get them half wiped out.
    - In fact, he doesn't save anybody who is normal, unless you count fighting a giant spider.
    - Lois figures out his secret super easy, and just gets around to the perfect locations when she's needed.
    - Jor-El's spirit does way too much of the heavy lifting and could have just told Superman what to do in the first damned place.
    - "No, that's ok Clark, don't easily save me from this tornado, make sure your secret gets hidden even though everybody in town already knows because the fat kid is a blabbermouth who has no sense of loyalty to the person that SAVED HIS LIFE. Nah, stay there."
    - "It's dangerous to go alone, take this superman suit."
    - And while you're at it, don't ask questions about how the suit gets on the scout ship. Oh yeah, and the scout ship, why didn't you throw that at the bad guys' ship?
    - These powers are hard to use for Superman, but easy for Zod!
    - Metropolis doesn't really seem to exist in this movie at all, it gets blowed up and we see the secretary die but that's it, nobody but Perry White and Jimmy Olson live there.
    - Uh, hey there Zod, you just killed a million people, let's fight it out. Oh, you're going to kill another? Well have some neck-snap! Craaaaack! Good times. Sure, I could have just put my hand over your eyes, but hey, it's the New 52 baby!

I have been a fair-weather Superman fan all my life, while my sister couldn't care less about the character. This movie was grating, nothing made sense, it just went on so very long, and it took itself seriously when it shouldn't. I never liked the Christopher Reeve films as a kid, I have no idea how my sister felt about them, but it has nothing to do with that and everything to do with this movie not having Superman in it really.

The worst part was that "Someone" didn't even like it exactly, he meant "you gotta see this it's a mess", and I still haven't seen Pacific Rim which was the other choice.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I'm watching L.A. Confidential (post-Mickey Cohen Los Angeles).

It's entertaining with a star-studded cast (Russel Crowe, Kim Bassinger, Guy Pierce, Oliver Cromwell, and Danny DeVito is funny even when he tries not to be).

I was a fan of Mob City, the TNT mini-series started by Frank Darrabount, but never really picked up beyond 6 hours. Too bad, since it was really good.

A friend recommended L.A. Confidential and I'm enjoying it, but it's rather light and humorous in spite of delving into racism and some seriously blunt and bloody rape and mass-killing scenes. (So it's still my type of movie - but I think it should approach things more seriously than it does).

Haven't finished it yet, but I will.

With regards to Man of Steel - the biggest impact it made on me is that Kal-El kills. That was awesome when he broke Zod's neck and how it affected him based on his principles he wanted to live by.

I still loved Russel Crowe as the best Jor-El ever and liked his pro-active role tormenting Zod. I think someone scripting that either wanted to use Russel Crowe more than Jor-El usually gets time for, or he wanted to realize "Obi-Wan's ghost" haunting Darth Vader after the duel on the Death Star.

We'd wonder if that ever happened. Like in the moment after the Falcon went into light speed at the end of ESB. Was Obi-Wan there in spirit laughing "HaHaHa. He got away. Doesn't that just get you right here in your Dark Side?"

I liked the Krypton sequences, but I never thought about it being like Avatar. You're right. Still, I also liked Avatar. So...
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I definitely understand all the criticism of MOS, but it doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the film. The only part that I think was poorly done was when Clark's father died. It's like they tried to milk that scene for as much emotional value as they could and they ended up pushing too far and making it feel totally contrived. That's one moment where the "less is more" philosophy would have helped immensely. If Clark's father had been smashed by a piece of flying debris with no warning, then that would have been just slightly unbelievable. But having Pa Kent stand there for what felt like 5 minutes as the tornado closed in on him, completely ruined the believability of that entire scene and made his "sacrifice" feel totally unnecessary and arbitrary. Especially when all of that was just to save the family dog who obviously died later and was replaced by another dog.

In fact, I think Pa Kent was the only character in the movie that I didn't like at all. Especially when he was scolding Clark for saving those kids' lives on that school bus. That made no sense to me at all.

I'd be interested to hear your opinions of Pacific Rim if you ever do get around to watching it, JT.

Anyways, I watched Soylent Green for the first time last night on TCM. I've been hearing the "Soylent Green is people!" line for decades now, so I've always known what the surprise ending of the movie was. I kind of wonder what my impression of the movie would have been without that knowledge, though. But it's always fun to see what filmmakers in the 1970s thought the future would be like.

The main thing that really stood out for me was how horrible of an actor Charlton Heston really is. Like John Wayne or Tom Cruise, he seems to have no idea how to play any character other than himself.

Anyways, I watched Soylent Green for the first time last night on TCM. I've been hearing the "Soylent Green is people!" line for decades now, so I've always known what the surprise ending of the movie was. I kind of wonder what my impression of the movie would have been without that knowledge, though. But it's always fun to see what filmmakers in the 1970s thought the future would be like.

The main thing that really stood out for me was how horrible of an actor Charlton Heston really is. Like John Wayne or Tom Cruise, he seems to have no idea how to play any character other than himself.
    A Soylent Green virgin? I watched it, too, BigBarada. It's one of those movies you just have to watch every once in a while, like the original Rollerball.

The Ambushers and the Wrecking Crew. Dean Martin's Matt Helm movies. Hey, he's not James Bond, nor is he Derek Flint or Austin Powers, but the Helm movies are nice escapism. The late Sharon Tate was in the Wrecking Crew.

The Vampire's Coffin. A Mexican vampire movie. Do I need to say more?

Quote Originally Posted by OC47151 View Post

The Vampire's Coffin. A Mexican vampire movie. Do I need to say more?
    Does tequila in the blood affect a vampire? Or do they need a new victim by the next happy hour?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Watched Captain America: The Winter Soldier yesterday. It was ok, 7/10, but really thin on actual writing and catching the audience up with the backstories, and woefully predictable. The fights and action are getting a lot of good marks, but mainly they felt repetitive and difficult to follow visually, and the fight against the Quinjet felt like a video game boss battle using quicktime events.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I was a fan of Mob City, the TNT mini-series started by Frank Darrabount, but never really picked up beyond 6 hours. Too bad, since it was really good.
    There were only those 6 hours, and will be no more as it was canceled. I watched it, I thought it was extremely shallow and lacking story focus.

With regards to Man of Steel - the biggest impact it made on me is that Kal-El kills. That was awesome when he broke Zod's neck and how it affected him based on his principles he wanted to live by.
    That was the worst part! It was unnecessary and had no follow-through on how it affected his principles (which we never actually get to see in action since he stops NO crimes).

I definitely understand all the criticism of MOS, but it doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the film. The only part that I think was poorly done was when Clark's father died. It's like they tried to milk that scene for as much emotional value as they could and they ended up pushing too far and making it feel totally contrived. That's one moment where the "less is more" philosophy would have helped immensely. If Clark's father had been smashed by a piece of flying debris with no warning, then that would have been just slightly unbelievable. But having Pa Kent stand there for what felt like 5 minutes as the tornado closed in on him, completely ruined the believability of that entire scene and made his "sacrifice" feel totally unnecessary and arbitrary. Especially when all of that was just to save the family dog who obviously died later and was replaced by another dog.

In fact, I think Pa Kent was the only character in the movie that I didn't like at all. Especially when he was scolding Clark for saving those kids' lives on that school bus. That made no sense to me at all.
    So true.

I'd be interested to hear your opinions of Pacific Rim if you ever do get around to watching it, JT.
    I will do my best to remember to post here when I do.

How funny! I caught the opening titles last night on TCM and it turned me off entirely, it is buried in a post-'60s style that really feels out of sorts from an artistic standpoint.

What they do is they make the character their own. I actually find all 3 compelling actors, but even when they're doing good work, they're still "name actor playing this part" - see Collateral with Tom Cruise for a solid example of this. So they ask themselves, "how would I act in this part" rather than "how would this character feel".
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Saw Sabotage earlier this week. First off, I'm a big Schwarzenegger fan but this just a different type of movie for him. It was advertised as an action movie, but it's more of a revenge/drama with some action tossed it. Like many aging action stars, Schwarzenegger realizes he's getting older and doesn't make a fool of himself by trying to be something he's not. He's more part of the ensemble cast than the standout star.

Man of Steel: Wherein Robin Hood realizes his planet is dying and sends his infant child to Earth... to be raised by Robin Hood.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    The worst part was that "Someone" didn't even like it exactly, he meant "you gotta see this it's a mess", and I still haven't seen Pacific Rim which was the other choice.
    And a mess it was...

But let me recommend The Raid and its recently released sequel The Raid 2 to redeem my referral credentials. Last week, I rewatched the first and saw the second - and the earth literally moved as I did. The style of the fight scenes in first has been ripped off substantially in the past couple of years, notably in this weekend's The Winter Soldier, which has the most appropriate tombstone ever, but flashes by so quickly, it can be easily missed. As far as I'm concerned, anything Ed Brubaker, author of the source material that was very loosely adapted, writes is cinema worthy - he is a writer I consistently follow. He, Jonathan Hickman, Jason Aaron, and Charles Soule are my favorite comic scribes.

Another free preview pay channel weekend (thanks, Game of Thrones premiere! ) had two comic films: The Dark Knight Rises, which I'd seen before and liked, and Man of Steel, which I hadn't seen and found it an interesting take on the character's history and details. Both were visually stunning.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega