Page 425 of 432 FirstFirst ... 325375415421422423424425426427428429 ... LastLast
Results 4,241 to 4,250 of 4318
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Man of Steel: Wherein Robin Hood realizes his planet is dying and sends his infant child to Earth... to be raised by Robin Hood.
    Good one! Too bad they couldn't get Sean Connery or Cary Elwes in there too.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I wish I could take credit for it, or at least remember whom I should credit.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    That was the worst part! It was unnecessary and had no follow-through on how it affected his principles (which we never actually get to see in action since he stops NO crimes).
    I think the movie was about the war with Zod being brought to earth after the death of Krypton - not a Superman-as-cop story (sabotaging Lex Luthor, etc.)

I agree with you somewhat. Kal-El did show regret he killed Zod, but the movie would have dragged on if it continued past that big build up.

The way to continue this is in a storyline for the next Superman movie, with flashbacks to the Zod kill scene, and Kal talking about that (to Lois or Jor El's computer program). Then Kal lives his life as a superhero differently.

CW's Arrow really hooked me in because Green Arrow was "a murderer" vigilante, (1st season) and he has since reformed because of tragedy and the death of Oliver's best friend. He will still kill League of Shadows members and Death Stroke if he gets the chance, but stopped short of killing Dead Shot and seeing the formation of the Suicide Squad.

Glad you gave Mob City a chance. I really liked it. In 6 hours, with so many characters, I'm not sure what more character development could be done. It was partially an action-show if I remember, and more drama would have slowed a period-piece down even more.

I'm conscientious of that in my writing, and while I try to develop my characters, I feed the action from the start and my characters develop as it goes along.

If you think about that, Darth Vader and Princess Leia developed along those lines. Luke was established the most early on (but wasn't in the first 20-or-so minutes of the movie). All we knew was Leia was desperate to smuggle out the plans to the Death Star, and Vader was intent on killing everybody to stop her.

I could write a long paragraph about Luke's character from just watching the first hour of SW with only that knowledge however.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues. It had some good parts and some less good parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I think the movie was about the war with Zod being brought to earth after the death of Krypton - not a Superman-as-cop story (sabotaging Lex Luthor, etc.)
    "Man of Steel", the movie focuses on Kal-El becoming Superman. Superman is a champion of justice and liberty and truth. Zod didn't have a war to bring to Earth, he wasn't a warring faction, he was staging a coup in the beginning and in the rest of the movie he's attempting to bring the Kryptonian people back to existence and rule Earth while doing it. It's vague and he's vaguely-drawn, if it were his story it was a miss because they do a poor job valuing him as a character and what he's looking to accomplish as a true goal. He is simply there to be a monster that Superman stops.

I agree with you somewhat. Kal-El did show regret he killed Zod, but the movie would have dragged on if it continued past that big build up.
    His freakout was just a momentary response, not a philosophical conversation about it.

The way to continue this is in a storyline for the next Superman movie, with flashbacks to the Zod kill scene, and Kal talking about that (to Lois or Jor El's computer program). Then Kal lives his life as a superhero differently.

CW's Arrow really hooked me in because Green Arrow was "a murderer" vigilante, (1st season) and he has since reformed because of tragedy and the death of Oliver's best friend. He will still kill League of Shadows members and Death Stroke if he gets the chance, but stopped short of killing Dead Shot and seeing the formation of the Suicide Squad.
    Arrow is not a good show, it's thematically struggling to rectify itself, and Ollie second-guessing his original actions only serves to highlight the show's original foundational failings. Superman should not be running the same story arc, it's weak.

Glad you gave Mob City a chance. I really liked it. In 6 hours, with so many characters, I'm not sure what more character development could be done. It was partially an action-show if I remember, and more drama would have slowed a period-piece down even more.
    I didn't say character development, I said it was shallow and lacking story focus. The show was based on a book that was an account of real events, it was meant to be more than the show ultimately delivered. But the characters of Mickey Cohen, Bugsy Siegel, William Parker, those guys are framing the story and should have been better drawn - especially Bugsy, since a lot of his actions are what's driving the situations, and we are given nothing but a few chopped scenes and lip service about it. Instead we get Det. Teague and his bland ex-wife who are just pastiches of better noir characters, and their actions ultimately drive the plot.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I saw Captain America:Winter Soldier last weekend. Really liked the action sequences and the whole storyline. There were places that were easily predictable, but the rest of the movie was pretty stellar, so it was easily forgiven. It has something alot of movies lack nowdays...actual character development. My only complaint was there wasn't enough of the winter soldier.

P.S. I also wished they would have explored TWS Soviet connection, but maybe they're saving that for the next movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrooper View Post
    I also wished they would have explored TWS Soviet connection, but maybe they're saving that for the next movie.
    Or for the Agents of Shield TV show. The recent events of the second Thor and Captain America movies have been having a ripple effect on the events of the TV show, including upcoming appearances by Nick Fury (Samuel L Jackson) and Agent Maria Hill (Cobie Smulders).
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

I haven't kept up with the show. I kinda wish I would've now.

Currently enjoying the WWE Network, watching Survivor Series '89.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

I saw Captain America:Winter Soldier last weekend. Really liked the action sequences and the whole storyline. There were places that were easily predictable, but the rest of the movie was pretty stellar, so it was easily forgiven. It has something alot of movies lack nowdays...actual character development. My only complaint was there wasn't enough of the winter soldier.

P.S. I also wished they would have explored TWS Soviet connection, but maybe they're saving that for the next movie.
    I was disappointed that they had next to no backstory on Winter Soldier himself, that was really disappointing. He's sporting a red star but they don't connect it at all, and they also leave out the Black Widow connection to that. What a missed opportunity.

As for action character development... who? I didn't really notice any character development, Cap starts virtuous and ends even more virtuous, Nick Fury still doesn't really trust, Black Widow remains unchanged. If one were a newcomer to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, none of these characters would have been developed at all, as far as I took away from the film. The closest I could point to as character development was Cap realizing his homespun American beliefs didn't mesh with the ultra-controlling modern security-conscious world, and even that was essentially lip service.

I haven't kept up with the show. I kinda wish I would've now.
    The show really didn't enhance the movie at all, and the movie didn't enhance the show. The show's events ran concurrent and were affected by the Hydra turn, but took place entirely parallel with the show merely commenting on the movie's events. The show has been getting a little better but it's still very clunky and uneven and problematic.