Page 193 of 440 FirstFirst ... 93143183189190191192193194195196197203243293 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,930 of 4391
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsAndHeels View Post
    Went and saw "Valkyrie" tonight. Great film!!

Bryan Singer did a great job of capturing the plot to kill Hitler. I feel some comfort now knowing that he did such a great job on this film, while his work for a sequel to Superman Returns is still up in the air.
    Cruise did an awesome job, as did the supporting cast (among those was Tom Wilkinson, who is one of the most underrated actors IMO).

I am going to go see it again either tomorrow or Saturday. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys history, or just a good movie about a true story with a very interesting plot.
    I hate to say it, but I have no desire to see this flick. Frankly, the marketing people have to be dumba--es cos who releases a flick like this on Christmas?!?!

Plus, my two other gripes:
    A. Why doesn't Cruise have a german accent??!?! It seems that nobody in the trailers had a german accent or was speaking german for that matter.
    B. I don't get how it's being labeled as a suspense thriller. Spoiler alert: we know they don't succeed!

Glad you enjoyed it J&H. Maybe i'll netflix it to see Wilkinson and Eddie Izzard.

I caught THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON with the family tonight; a bit long (almost 3 hours), but overall a really marvelous film. A good message, a nice epic story about love and loss, and the supporting cast is top notch too. I recommend it!
    Last edited by Jedi_Master_Guyute; 12-26-2008 at 01:23 AM.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute View Post
    Frankly, the marketing people have to be dumba--es cos who releases a flick like this on Christmas?!?!
    People get out to see movies on Christmas, it really doesn't matter what it is. I am glad I saw the 5pm show yesterday, because when I was exiting the theater the lines were out the building.

Why doesn't Cruise have a german accent??!?! It seems that nobody in the trailers had a german accent or was speaking german for that matter.
    You are right, Cruise does not have an accent. That did not bother me though, because I would rather just hear his natural voice than have to listen to him attempt an accent and sound horrible.

I don't get how it's being labeled as a suspense thriller. Spoiler alert: we know they don't succeed!
    Isn't this the case with all historical movies?
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

Quote Originally Posted by JetsAndHeels View Post
    Isn't this the case with all historical movies?
    Agreed. I experienced the drama of the Apollo 13 first-hand in my early teens yet; when I saw Opie's film Apollo 13 I was still caught up in the suspense of the situation even though I knew the outcome.

I am probably the farthest thing from a Tom Cruise fan that you'll ever find, but I'm curious to see this film (probably via Netflix, thank you) for historical accuracy.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Hollywood films are never "Historically accurate" though the general public views them as such, take JFK for example.

This is why I seldom watch these type of movies, I would rather see a more accurate documentary, or better yet read about it.

I will pass on this film, besides, I've never been a big fan of Cruise.
    May the force be with you.

Why doesn't Cruise have a german accent??!?!
    I wasn't so annoyed with Cruise's lack of an accent as that this entire movie is not in German. I demand authenticity! I refuse to see Finding Nemo because all the dialogue should be in fish language!

Tommy, close your eyes.

Plus, my two other gripes:
    A. Why doesn't Cruise have a german accent??!?! It seems that nobody in the trailers had a german accent or was speaking german for that matter.
    They actually shot many of the scenes with a German accent for all of the actors but they didn't want the actors accents to take away from the story itself. They also figured that since it wasn't a docu-drama (like Tora! Tora! Tora!) that it wasn't that big of a deal.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

I also saw Valkyrie last night and enjoyed it quite a bit.
    I'm not much of a fan of Cruise (except for Collateral and The Last Samurai) but I thought he was really good here.

The accent thing only bugged me for a few minutes, but I got over it quickly. Besides, I'd rather hear natural American and British accents over a forced Hogan's Heroes-type German accent any day.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I hate to say it, but I have no desire to see this flick. Frankly, the marketing people have to be dumba--es cos who releases a flick like this on Christmas?!?!
    I'm not harping on you at all but I just re-read this part of your post and remembered an article I read. Do you like Schindler's List? Do you like The Pianist? Do you like Sophies Choice"? All of those were released in December but, like Valkeyrie, it was mostly awards driven. I guess the holiday season Christmas is just a good time to come out with them.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

I want to go see Valkyrie. Lots of authentic German planes and hardware I hear.
    I really don't care if Tom is in it, I rather like most of his movies.

I had already heard that the film will likely be released in Germany with German accents dubbed in, because the Germans like their films that way. Perhaps with English subtitles?
    That would be the way to buy it for more authenticity.
    Meanwhile, I will definitely go see it soon.

Not enough historical WWII flicks are made.
    I had heard rumors of the "Flying Tigers' film being considered, and Tom a likely actor for it.
    He's got plenty of money to finance an authentic film. More power to him for that.
    Just keep the Cyclos out of it and we'll be ok.

I don't see what the problem is with the lack of German accents. Because, in reality, they would be speaking German to each other which, to them, would just sound like normal talking. In other words, unless you do German with English subtitles (which usually equals box office death), then having them speak in plain English is the most historically accurate.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis