Page 201 of 435 FirstFirst ... 101151191197198199200201202203204205211251301 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,010 of 4348
    [font=haettenschweiler]Double Feature![/font]

A scientist (Hugh Jackman) loses his grip on reality as he races against time to discover a cure for the tumor that’s slowly killing his wife (Rachel Weisz) in 2006’s The Fountain. The story blends two narratives that run side by side. In the first, Jackman is a modern-day scientist that uses a compound developed from rain forest tree moss to treat tumors in laboratory animals, only to learn that it reverses the effects of aging; and in the second story line Jackman is the conquistador hero in his wife’s unfinished novel, who is ordered by the Spanish queen to find the Tree of Life, a fountain of immortality thought to be in Mayan territory and hidden by God when Adam and Eve were banished from Eden.

And I didn't watch the Super Bowl, but I did watch a football movie:

Football Coach Knute Rockne (Pat O’Brien) leads Notre Dame through victory and loss on and off the field in the smarmy 1940 biopic Knute Rockne, All American. The film starts with Rockne’s not-so-humble beginnings in Norway to his college heydays popularizing the forward pass as a star football player at Notre Dame. After joining the faculty, he later becomes full-time coach for ill-fated George "The Gipper" Gipp (Ronald Reagan) and revolutionizes the game with the backfield "Notre Dame Shift," executed by star players The Four Horseman. And in the famous rivalry with Army and behind at the half, he rouses his team to victory by imploring them to win one for the Gipper.

On to Season 3 of Smallville!
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

A new doctor (Harold Lloyd) tries to help a beautiful female sleepwalker in the 1920 silent short High and Dizzy. After guzzling some homemade ale, the good doc stumbles around town, avoiding police and eventually finding himself out on a ledge - literally - where he runs into his errant sleepwalking patient. Directed by Hal Roach and released shortly after Prohibition went into effect, this short had a timely appeal with the main character getting smashed on homemade brew.

For defying the gods by attempting to resurrect his lost love, an Egyptian prince is mummified alive and becomes the eternal guardian of her tomb in the watchable 1940 film The Mummy’s Hand. Definitely a major influence on 1999’s excellent The Mummy, this movie has a dashing, two-fisted, well-armed archaeologist facing off against the walking undead with the help of his comic sidekick and their grand-fatherly financier and his beautiful daughter. And as in the 1999 version, the Cairo Museum curator is part of a secret order charged with protecting the tomb of the creature since the times of the pharaohs.

After his younger brother is jailed by a crooked small town judge and his sheriff cronies, a trucker (Chuck Norris) rides into town to free him in the 1977 action flick Breaker! Breaker! Martial arts master Norris handily beats the crap out of nearly every man in town, but is finally taken down and put in jail. Then a local woman he befriended radios his trucker buddies and the 18-wheel jockeys arrive and demolish the town with their rigs. Meanwhile, Norris, sentenced to die, is shot in the gut, but somehow manages to continue the fight and finish off the brutal town sheriff in a climatic kick-fight in a nearby corral.

This week in class, the focus was on Italian neo-realism. We watched what are generally considered to be the first and last films in the movement: Roma, cittą aperta and Umberto D. The first was nothing special in my opinion. The version we saw only had subtitles on some of the dialogue but not all of it, so I felt like I was watching an incomplete movie. Umberto D. was pretty fantastic, though. It was directed by Vittorio De Sica, who also did Ladri di biciclette (Bicycle Thieves), which I love. Another classic movie in which nothing happens and it was beautiful for it.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

[font=haettenschweiler]Double Feature![/font]

A British commando unit is sent on a top secret mission during Operation MARKET GARDEN to secure valuable art treasure plundered by the Nazis in the rather hollow 2005 film The Last Drop. The convoluted plot has renegade German soldiers trying to steal the treasures from the SS all the while evading the British unit after the same objective. Then an American commander in the area catches wind of the plot and wants a piece of the treasure himself. Stars Billy Zane as the British pilot and Michael Madsen as the US commander.

EMT drivers from a private ambulance service compete with a rival company for business on the congested streets of LA in the decent 1976 comedy Mother, Jugs & Speed. The title is derived from the main character’s nicknames: there’s the witty, street-wise, seasoned EMT, "Mother," (Bill Cosby), the secretary-turned EMT, "Jugs," (Raquel Welch and her two costars, the bodacious tat-tas), and an impossibly-young Harvey Keitel as "Speed," a suspended police officer accused of selling cocaine. Also features Dick Butkus and Larry Hagman (JR on TV’s Dallas) as fellow medics.

Four students find themselves trapped in a haunted house in the watchable 2005 ghost story Spirit Trap. Unable to get out, the four learn that the house was the site of a brutal killing 100 years before and the spirit of the man is still trapped there. They soon realize that one of them must die and take the spirit’s place or they will all be trapped inside for eternity.

Saw my first in-theater movie this weekend (Fanboys), and got sucked into Superman Returns on cable Saturday.
    "That's what Sheev said."

At our hotel this morning, I watched Jurassic Part 2: the guy from the Fly vs. a T-Rex
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.