I recorded The Battle of Britain from Turner Classic Movies (TCM) the other day thinking it was part of Frank Capra's "Why We Fight" documentary series from 1943 (which is what the satellite guide said). Once I started watching it, it turned out to be the '69 film. Good show though, lots of aerial combat with real vintage planes.

The Eagle Has Landed is an enjoyable film. Donald Sutherland steals the show as an Irish expatriate with no love for the British who aids the Germans in their plot of kidnap Churchill. I can watch The Dirty Dozen again and again. A Bridge Too Far is fine once in a blue moon.

I'm not a big fan of Clint Eastwood's Kelly's Heroes. I just watched Where Eagles Dare, which is a much better film with Eastwood, although it's really a vehicle for Richard Burton. I know I've seen Where Eagles Dare before, but have forgotten it over the years. It was like watching it again for the first time.

When it comes to WWII movies, I typically enjoy stories about the main combatants or "our" troops but I sometimes like to see things from another perspective, so I watched this French film yesterday afternoon. I think it was on Independent Film Channel (IFC) -

Africans from French colonies and elsewhere are recruited by the Free French government-in-exile under Charles de Gaulle to help liberate the mother country from German occupation but face constant discrimination from their French comrades and endure unfair treatment from their superiors and government (even decades later) in the watchable 2006 French war movie Days of Glory.

In the late 1950s, due to so many former French colonies being in open rebellion fighting for independence, the French government cut the pensions of WWII veterans from those former colonies. They were reinstated in the early 2000s, but payments were put off again. Since that generation is becoming fewer in number anyway, it's doubtful there will be any veterans left to claim their pension anyway.

From yesterday evening:

After a plane crash that claims the life of his wife, a 1920s pilot (Cliff Robertson - Peter Parker’s Uncle Ben in Spiderman) and his young son rebuild his biplane and take to the air, flying to small towns giving airplane rides, enjoying their celebrity status, and having occasional trysts with local women in the avoidable 1973 action adventure film Ace Eli and Rodger of the Skies. Seventies mainstay Bernadette Peters plays a small town prostitute in this film, which is based on a story by obscure director Steven Spielberg.

And the late show last night:

After a centuries-old group known as the Illuminati kidnaps four cardinals and threatens to destroy the Vatican using stolen anti-matter, university professor Robert Langdon (Tom Hanks) is called in to help track down those responsible and prevent the calamity in Ron Howard’s okay 2009 adventure thriller Angels and Demons. Ewan Macgregor (Obi-Wan Kenobi in the Star Wars prequels) plays a Vatican priest and Stellan Skarsgard (Bootstrap Bill in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies) is head of the elite Swiss Guard.