Page 304 of 427 FirstFirst ... 204254294300301302303304305306307308314354404 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,040 of 4264
    Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    Another good call Tycho! And fitting time wise since Tuesday is the 65th anniversary of the raising of the flag over Mt. Sirabuchi (sp?)
    Thanks! And I just watched Flags Of Our Fathers to go with it.

The story is really interesting and shows how history is never just black and white.

I bet a majority of people don't know how that Marine Corps monument came about, or the complicated history of that story - that there were 2 flag raisings actually - and why. Also where the confusion lies in which soldiers actually raised the flag and when, who was under fire (from the snipers) and who was just under vanity orders.

And I love how Letters and Flags combine to show both sides' perspectives on the same engagements.

Clint Eastwood did such a fine job on these movies!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I watched Windtalkers.
    Excellent movie and a lot of action!

This is the US vs. Japan for the possession of Saipan, enroute on the way to invade the Japanese main island.
    John Woo never disappoints when it comes to action. But I would've liked to seen more focus on the code talkers in general (very interesting backstory) than Nic Cage's character.

Quote Originally Posted by OC47150 View Post
    John Woo never disappoints when it comes to action. But I would've liked to seen more focus on the code talkers in general (very interesting backstory) than Nic Cage's character.
    Agreed. Such as who in the military started that program, the code talkers, and exactly how?

Why did the Navajo get chosen versus other tribes? Why did the Navajo accept? Were other tribes approached and did they reject the offer because of native-white relations in the past?

Think about it: if someone forcibly relocated you to a reservation (or your grandparents in this case), would you answer their next call for help?

What danger did the tribes face from Japan? What was their self-interest?

A movie about this would play out more as a drama - perhaps with some action sequences - but it is mostly a pre-war topic, yet very interesting.

The Pacific should touch on this, else it be remiss. The code talkers were a very important part of the western theater of the war.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I think it had a lot to do with the fact that the Navajo tribe is the biggest and most numerous. A big pool of code talkers, could've been a factor, but I don't know for sure.

Indian tradition in most tribes it is the ultimate thing to fight as a warrior and achieve that status (much like a Klingon) Though treated badly in the past, most young men from the various tribes of the US were volunteering en masse during WWII.

Captain Turonga Leela and her feminist eco-terrorist group fight to stop Leo Wong’s environment-wrecking plan to build a cosmic miniature golf course in the fun 2008 animated movie Futurama: Into the Wild Green Yonder.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Why did the Navajo get chosen versus other tribes? Why did the Navajo accept?
    [FONT=Courier New]Because the Navajo language is an unwritten language of extreme complexity.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New][/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq61-2.htm[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New][/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]Unless Axis code breakers knew how to speak Navajo, it's a perfect code. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

I watched Hiroshima.

I found this movie in the grocery store for $5 but it was exactly what I wanted.

It covers the late-in-the-war decisions by the Emperor of Japan and his top military advisers (who seem to have stolen the show in hopes of creating their own authority through conquest and turning the Emperor into a figure head even) and President Truman and all the options he and his advisors weighed before dropping the bomb:

• a test detonation the Japanese would be invited to
    • warning the Japanese before bombing
    • surprise bombing - option chosen
    • a few others

ultimately a surprise attack was determined to be the best option, and the Enola Gay was loaded.

This is a great movie that also includes Oppenheimer and the other scientists who struggled with their consciences about this weapon.

It also spends time on the bombing of Nagasaki and why that had to happen as well - so the Japanese would know that we had and could build more a-bombs if necessary.

It's interesting because it presents the Emperor was not really in control of the war, and President Truman was not prepared to assume the leadership when Rooseveldt died, and the new President moved very cautiously, his military advisors impatient with him.

A great movie for WWII history buffs!

Last night I saw Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, which I enjoyed quite a lot. It wasn't the funniest movie ever but it was fun to see how they added in scenes from old films noir (is that how you pluralize it?) from the '40s and '50s. Of the ones in the movie, I had only seen Double Indemnity and Notorious, so I was more aware of how they had changed them.

Just finished up Miracle in honor the the 30th anniversary of the miracle on ice.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

After the death of his elder brother, a man (Lon Chaney) returns home to his father (Claude Rains) and the family castle and soon finds himself cursed with lycanthropy after being bitten by an itinerant gypsy werewolf (Bela Lugosi) in the 1941 horror movie The Wolf Man. First time viewing for me!
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)