Page 361 of 433 FirstFirst ... 261311351357358359360361362363364365371411 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,610 of 4322
    I've been on a movie-renting binge recently, so I've seen:

Black Swan - really enjoyed this movie (and not just because of a certain scene between Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis). I haven't seen a good psychological drama in a while and I thought this one was pretty well done. I'll probably end up buying this one when the price goes down.

Kick *** - finally got around to seeing this one. I'm getting slightly burned out on superhero movies so this didn't really interest me when it came out in theaters. Although if I had known it was a superhero movie made for people who are starting to get tired of superhero movies, then I probably would have watched it earlier. This is another one I'll probably buy, despite the fact that it has Nicolas Cage in it.

127 Hours - Awesome movie! I actually watched it one morning after an all-night shift at work and I was initially a bit worried that the film would put me to sleep because I had read that so much of the story takes place with him trapped under the rock. However, I can say that was definitely not the case. Really an amazing story and just seeing everything that he had to do to keep himself alive, while his mental state continued to deteriorate kept my interest throughout the film. This is definitely a movie that I will buy.

Skyline - this movie was okay, although I think the last scene of the film should have been the first scene (instead of the "flash-forward" scene that they used for the beginning of the film). The characters were a bit 1-dimensional and not very well written. Plus there were several major plot developments that were NEVER explained and it seemed like they were trying really hard to set up a sequel. Considering how the movie seemed to generate no buzz whatsoever during it's theatrical and DVD releases, I don't think that's likely at all. If a direct to DVD sequel shows up and the story pays off in a satisfactory way, then I might pick up a multipack of this someday.

The Social Network - Probably one of the best movies that I've seen in the last few years. I've been a big fan of Jesse Eisenberg ever since Zombieland and it's great to see him play a similar type of character, but a little darker and much more nuanced. I liked everything about this movie and there wasn't a single moment that seemed to drag on. I love the way it came full circle in the end and I didn't mind at all that it left a big question mark as the credits rolled (although I wouldn't mind knowing if his friend request was ever accepted). I was actually going to buy this on DVD yesterday, but Walmart was sold out, so I'll have to wait. I did buy the soundtrack off of iTunes and have listened to it almost nonstop since then. The music was amazing as well!
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Rashomon: I've always thought Akira Kurosawa was overrated trash, but figured I should see if maybe one of the movies I've not seen had any of this greatness Lucas and Lindquist and others claim to see. This movie was awful. First of all, I hate Toshiro Mifune, and it bugs the s*** out of me that Kurosawa cast him in so many movies. As a reflection of the dark nature of the human soul, this failed miserably. The "conflicting stories" angle was so much a ripoff of an old episode of Family Ties that it made me sick; how dare this hack claim credit for this? And, really, would it have killed them to put some color in it? I hate that artsy-fartsy black and white crud.

Ghost World: Another ripe turd. I hate Steve Buscemi almost as much as Toshiro Mifune, so it sucked when he showed up. The focus should've been more on Scarlett Johansson rather than that Thora Birch moron. The music stunk, especially all that worthless old blues music they used--there's a reason it's old, people, it sucks! And, come on, did you think we wouldn't notice people getting on a bus that says it's "out of service"? That's not how buses work! It was too close to the comic book they based on it, too, even though the story overall was much tighter in the comic.

Caligula: Wow. I was blown away by this movie and plan to watch it at least once a month until I die. The nudity and violence was used judiciously when the demands of the script called for them, never gratuitously. Some incredible acting by folks like Peter O'Toole and Helen Mirren, whom I'm sure put this flick at the top of their resumes. It was like a history lesson on the screen the way it stuck closely to the historical record, and the next time I watch it, I'm watching it with my kids so they appreciate the way ancient Rome functioned. I highly recommend it; this may be the best non-sequel I've ever seen, almost as good as Highlander 2, Batman & Robin, and Mortal Kombat Annihilation.

(The preceding brought to you by the letters S, A, R, C, A again, S again, and M.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I'm all over Hobo With A Shotgun when it comes to theaters...I think it previews on HDNet soon. Yes, it's actually called Hobo With A Shotgun. The star is Rutger Hauer.
    "In my experience there's no such thing as luck."

The Shawshank Redemption, loved it when it first came out and its still an awesome flick imho.

Best King adaption, period.

MacGruber, meh. It had its moments (not very many), in short I'd like that time back please.

Quote Originally Posted by jonthejedi View Post
    Best King adaption, period.
    So say all the reviews.

Honorable mentions to:

The Green Mile
    Misery
    The Shining (mini-series)
    The Stand
    It

Usually King's work needs a mini-series to really play out well. The Shinning may have been better with Jack as the main character, but the mini-series really fleshed out the story line and was superior in every other way.
    May the force be with you.

Inception - I decided to see what all the fuss was about and I really enjoyed this movie. Very well thought out and fun to try to keep up with. I'll probably have to watch it again to really be able to follow everything.

Frozen - really disappointed by this one. For those who don't know, it's about 3 skiers who get trapped on a ski lift after the ski lodge closes down for the week. I was hoping for a lot of frightening moments and a lot of gore, but the movie delivered neither of those. Also it was clearly a low budget film and some of the "special effects" were laughably bad. This is an instance were a bigger budget and some computer-generated effects would have helped sell the story immensely. Really more like a film school project than a serious motion picture. There were also some major plot holes, but I don't want to give anything way for anyone who might be interested in seeing it. It does star Shawn Ashmore (Iceman from the X-Men films) and I actually spent most of the movie trying to figure out where I had seen him before (I ended up having to Google his name after seeing the end credits).
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

KIck ***...I was late seeing this cult film, but it was on cable...and I have 90 free days to sample alot of channels. Chloe Grace Moretz is a revelation...I then had to see her in Let Me In. She's an actress to watch in the coming years.

Speaking of INCEPTION...yes, bigbarada, it does demand repeat viewing. What was your take on the final shot in the film. I have my opinion. All I will say to people is pay close attention to the clothes Leo D's kids are wearing throughout the film(especially the finale), and you will have a somewhat definitive answer.