Page 383 of 432 FirstFirst ... 283333373379380381382383384385386387393 ... LastLast
Results 3,821 to 3,830 of 4316
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I love John Wayne's movies but don't think I ever saw The Searchers. Please refresh my memory.
    The Searchers is the one where the Duke spends 5 years looking for his niece (Natalie Wood) who was taken in an Indian raid. It's different because JW played an outright racist. And the scenery is like a member of the cast, too. It's considered the quintessential western, and a lot of Hollywood types like Uncle George, Spielberg, etc... said the Searchers influenced them.

The Devil's Rejects. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of horror movies, but the Devil's Rejects wasn't on my list to see until I met Bill Moseley (Otis) at a convention recently. Very nice man, his presentation was interesting, and he took time afterward to speak to my stepson and me. That impressed me to want to see his movies. The movie wasn't as bloody as I'd expected.

The Manster. (1959) A Japanese scientist does injects a mutant serum into an American journalist. Not a bad flick.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    We are actually trying to organize a Civil War airforce unit. They had observation balloons they used to scout the enemy positions from and occasionally had to fire from.
    The bio I'm reading about Florence "Pancho" Barnes, a pioneer in women's aviation, said her grandfather Thadeus Lowe used a balloon to recon for the North (and apparently was the first person to send a telegraph and take aerial photographs from a balloon [likely not at the same time]).
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Watched The Dark Knight again to sort of remind myself of what happened before the next Batman flick comes out. For some reason I just can never get excited about this movie. Maybe it goes on too long or whatever, but by the time the film ends, all of my enthusiasm for it has died out completely. I think I just really don't like the message of the film: that a lie is better than the truth if that lie gets people to act the way you want them to. Having Batman take the fall for a politician like Harvey Dent, in order to preserve the public image of said politician, just doesn't sit well with me.

Also, watched The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) and was able to remind myself what a true science fiction masterpiece looks like. Sometimes it's nice to get away from all the flashy special effects and just enjoy a good story. Of course, it's hard to believe that people would be so trusting of total strangers in this day and age, but after living in a small town for the last 6 years and not even needing to lock my doors at night, I can start to understand the trusting nature of Americans back in the 1950s.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I've always thought TDK was overrated--very good, but not the end-all, be-all. Begins is better. Batman taking the fall for Dent is stupid; why not blame the other crazy guy everyone knew about for killing the cops? Yeesh.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

21 Jump Street, I LMAO, yes it was a bit cheesy, but I rather enjoyed it and the cameos were fun.
    May the force be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Watched The Dark Knight Maybe it goes on too long or whatever, but by the time the film ends, all of my enthusiasm for it has died out completely.
    While I love the movie, there is that feeling that "there's this; and also that; but don't forget about this, too. Oh - and just when you thought it was over - there's also that."

I think the dizzying scene when Batman uses the tech stuff to locate everyone with his bat-vision gets my eyes tired and I can't follow the action as well. Bad idea there. Adam West did it better in the old days for that part.

I think I just really don't like the message of the film: that a lie is better than the truth if that lie gets people to act the way you want them to.
    That's so real though. I don't think you're supposed to like it. It's just supposed to be realistic. In that sense it's good writing. It's like the ObamaCare debate. It'd be better if we just had socialized medacine (single-payer, universal) but laymen without stock portfolios or awareness of what fuels their pensions or 401K's won't understand that at present, the insurance companies are also "too big to fail." But in terms of justice, that's true.

So the Commissioner's lie about Batman is one that a dumb Gotham public more readily understands. Unpleasant but real.

I don't want to watch everything with fairytale endings.

Having Batman take the fall for a politician like Harvey Dent, in order to preserve the public image of said politician, just doesn't sit well with me.
    So real - like I was saying.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Red Tails ~ ehh not all that good. While I'm not that familar with the group or Army Air Force doctrine it seems that far too much stuff is magically happening to this group of pilots. That said, it was nice to see Bubs from The Wire.

That Thing You Do!

Starring Bel-Cam Jos!
    (Who should have been cast as the Lando-like Lamarr!)
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

The Three Stooges (2012). A movie where no curse words muttered! It was very refreshing, and funny.