Page 385 of 431 FirstFirst ... 285335375381382383384385386387388389395 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,850 of 4307
    Holy crap, how did you see that? Bootleg copy? YouTube? If it's on YouTube or easily viewable, I'd like to see it. It's been decades, literally.

Funny thing about the whole tar baby thing--in Harris' story, it wasn't intended to be a racist thing at all. His Uncle Remus tales were actually transcribed from actual slave narratives, with the dialect rendered as accurately as he was able, IIRC.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

The Amazing Spider-Man - Mrs. TI7 and I went and saw it this afternoon. Like BigB, I think it easily outshines the originals! Sorry Toby, but I much preferred Andrew Garfield's portrayal of Peter Parker to yours. We really liked the story on many levels. The supporting cast choices were great and not who I would have expected to take the roles, particularly of Uncle Ben (Martin Sheen) and Aunt May (Sally Field---really enjoyed how she approached the role).

I'm a huge fan of movie sound tracks and James Horner's score is epic!

All-in-all, a huge thumb's up from the TI family! It takes a lot to get me into a theater (mainly because of prices and the fact that Hollywood is creatively bankrupt...previews of a "new" Total Recall...again...really? I rest my case). I have not set foot into a movie theater since LOTR Return of the King; nothing has inspired me to go before now. Usually, I just wait for the DVD to go on sale at Target, but my high expectations for the new Spidey did not disappoint. I may actually go see this again...in the theater!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Holy crap, how did you see that? Bootleg copy? YouTube? If it's on YouTube or easily viewable, I'd like to see it. It's been decades, literally.

Funny thing about the whole tar baby thing--in Harris' story, it wasn't intended to be a racist thing at all. His Uncle Remus tales were actually transcribed from actual slave narratives, with the dialect rendered as accurately as he was able, IIRC.
    You can watch it on YouTube broken up into about 9 parts. This user has the entire film loaded up:
    http://youtu.be/JrAKhHcZM-Y
    It's just the link to part one, you can watch the other 8 parts from his list of videos.

If you want to buy a copy, send me a PM and I'll send you a link to the website where I got mine.

After hearing so much about the controversy, then actually seeing the movie, it all just seemed like much ado about nothing. There isn't anything offensive about the film at all. And the "Zippity-Doo-Da" song is one of Disney's most iconic musical numbers, so it's a shame that they are trying to bury this film.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Thanks for the info. I somehow never considered looking for it on YouTube. I remember seeing it once or twice as a kid. From what I remember, there's nothing wrong with it; admitting that there were slaves, then poor sharecroppers who had formerly been slaves, is far from racist. (It's like arguing Huck Finn is racist because they use the n-word, which was just the commonly used term at the time, and missing that the entire point of the book is the exact opposite.)

Funny thing is, B'rer Rabbit, B'rer Fox, and B'rer Bear run around Critter Country at Disneyland, and appear in Splash Mountain, but I'm sure the kids who go have no idea who they are.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

With a special movies channel offer (I guess), I've seen Toy Story 3, Wild Things, and Tron Legacy lately.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    With a special movies channel offer (I guess), I've seen Toy Story 3, Wild Things, and Tron Legacy lately.
    I've seen things "Tron" of late as well...only at the Reagan Library!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reagan Library_Disney Archives 140.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	26449   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reagan Library_Disney Archives 141.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	26450  

Dark Knight Rises - watched it the day before yesterday. Overall I think it's the best of the 3 Nolan Batman films. I was really bothered by how TDK ended with Batman taking the rap for Harvey Dent's murders, so seeing that blow up in Batman's and Commissioner Gordon's faces in this film really made that much easier to take. So I can say that Rises actually salvaged this entire trilogy for me.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - I watched this on the recommendation of a friend of mine and it was hilarious. It took me a bit to realize that the overblown, video game action sequences were an actual part of the story and not some kind of fantasy or flashback sequence. I thought it was just some kind of Juno ripoff up until that point. Once I was able to shut down the logic centers in my brain that wanted to reject those parts, I actually really enjoyed the movie.

Melacholia - a beautiful movie to watch, even though most people will find it painfully slow; but you do get to see Kirsten Dunst's breasts, so there's that. Even though the entire movie is about depression and sadness, it's not a depressing film. Which is another odd statement considering that everybody dies in the end. Which isn't really a spoiler, since you see the planet destroyed at the beginning of the film and everything else is essentially a flashback.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I watched "The Right Stuff" a good flick about our first manned space flights and the exploits of:

Chuck Yeager - amazing test pilot
    Tom Shepard - first American in space
    John Glenn - first American to orbit the earth

The movie's actually very funny through the majority of the middle of it and makes fools out of politicians like Presidents Isenhower and Johnson. But I think it might be close to the historical facts.

A look into the history of flight from 1947 to 1963. Very good movie.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

You can add a "first" to Yeager as the first person to break the sound barrier.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Tom Shepard - first American in space
    Poor Alan is probably rolling over in his grave........