Page 393 of 435 FirstFirst ... 293343383389390391392393394395396397403 ... LastLast
Results 3,921 to 3,930 of 4347
    Santa Claus Conquers the Martians! Boy, what a stinker! But at least I can say I've watched it all the way through.

I saw Al Pachino in a 1985 movie Revolution: Revisited - about how many of our ancestors who fought for the Continental Army's militia at the birth of the United States of America were forced into service. It is not an idealistic picture of the birth of the USA at all.

Gives you a lot to think about. However, freedom from the King of England was a good thing no matter how you cut it.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Gives you a lot to think about. However, freedom from the King of England was a good thing no matter how you cut it.
    Well, unless you were England. Or the king. 'Of' was okay about it.

I'm waiting for school and finals to be over, to be bale to SEE some movies (Hobbit is the main one).
    "That's what Sheev said."

Christmas Vacation. It's our tradition for the family to come over to my house, have dinner and yuck it up with the Griswolds every year.

Gremlins. I hate to admit this but I hadn't seen this movie before, and I've owned a copy for two years! Started watching it last night, and finished it today while I wrapped presents.

Gonna watch Jingle All the Way next! Might try to squeeze in A Christmas Story when I finish wrapping tomorrow.

OK, gang. Help me out here:

The relatives are still here and we're watching Fellowship of the Ring. My sister-in-law is not in favor of her nine-year-old son watching it because of the violence and "darkness" (whatever that means). My nephew has seen all the Harry Potter movies beginning at the tender age of six with her total blessing. I'm confused as to why LOTR is objectionable for the reasons above yet Harry Potter (just as violent and dark IMO) is not.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post

The relatives are still here and we're watching Fellowship of the Ring. My sister-in-law is not in favor of her nine-year-old son watching it because of the violence and "darkness" (whatever that means). My nephew has seen all the Harry Potter movies beginning at the tender age of six with her total blessing. I'm confused as to why LOTR is objectionable for the reasons above yet Harry Potter (just as violent and dark IMO) is not.
    I was 11, just turning 12, when the first films in both series came out, and I saw both of them (and all their later sequels) and somehow turned out alright. Maybe it's because LOTR has swords and more "realistic" violence whereas HP kills folks with wands and magic, or the fact that LOTR shoots for a slightly older audience and HP often gets pegged as just kids' fluff when it really shouldn't be at all. But if the kid can handle all eight HP movies, he can definitely handle all three LOTR movies.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post

The "darkness" would probably be in reference to all the evil characters, dark magic, demons (the Balrog), goblins, etc. Even though the film does have those elements, they are not portrayed in a positive way at all. In other words, they didn't try to make the traditionally evil characters hip or sexy or sympathetic or anything like that. LOTR is a pure, black-&-white, good vs. evil story.

I grew up in a pretty strict Baptist household and we weren't allowed to watch most movies or TV shows (for example, Bewitched was off limits because it portrayed witches in a humorous light, stuff like that). However, my parents never forbade us from reading books like LOTR or the Chronicles of Narnia series. My dad is actually a big fan of both film series' right now.

Even though I was pretty sheltered as a kid, I could say that I turned out alright as well... but then again, if I was crazy, I would probably be the last one to know. So maybe saying, "I turned out alright," is the first sign that I'm not alright.

I could see the violence factor for young kids, with the beheadings, scary creatures, blood, etc., being a problem; but it's a PG-13 movie for a reason.

Personally, I have more reservations with a young child watching the Harry Potter series than I do LOTR. But that's because I believe themes like "There is no good and evil, there is only power," are much more dangerous to young minds than a little bit of blood and gore. At least with LOTR, there is no blurring of the lines between good and evil.

That's what I think made the original Star Wars trilogy as good as it was. The Prequels blurred the line between good and evil quite a bit and I think the story suffered for it.

That's just my opinion though. If I had kids of my own, I would definitely allow them to watch LOTR, but I wouldn't necessarily want them to see Harry Potter until we had a long talk about the subject matter of that story.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Total Recall the remake, better than the original IMO.

Looper which was pretty good, worth watching at least once.

Resident Evil: Retribution, which I really enjoyed.

Doctor Who: The Snowmen, which will lead well into the next series. I really enjoyed this one, especially with the new character (or sorta new character).
    May the force be with you.

I watched a CNN special about The First Christians. It documented how the New Testament came together after Jesus' crucifixion.

It was fascinating to learn there were a lot of different "Gospels," but starting actually 70 years after Jesus' death, they began to be collected. Now I forget whether it was Luke or John - but one of those two, which was added more than 150 years later.

Other Gospels were omitted. The Church (Eastern Orthodox) actually has original copies, and the Gnostic Gospels were recovered in Egypt, like the Dead Sea Scrolls were found to the north in Israel.

They could be suppressed at the time just by now transcribing them. But the church saved them. There were some very interesting discrepencies with the Gnostic Gospels versus the 4 widely accepted ones.

Also, Roman Emperor Constantine who might have been said to have publically become a Christian because his mother was, contributed evidence that he did not actually convert, but let Christianity spread to pacify rebellion in the Empire.
    I had long speculated this, but now there is recorded evidence from his time that gives credit to this theory. Additionally, it did not pacify Constantine, who went on with his brutal executions and tortures that Roman Empeorors were famous for.

There was more about (what we all probably already know) December 25 was not likely Jesus' true birthday as well as evidence he was married to Mary Magdolene. The reason it was suppressed was moreso in order that Mary could keep property and legal rights and freedoms as a Roman citizen, and not be listed as the wife of a criminal conspirator. This situation was later used to weaken women's role in the church, which was initially strong like it can be today. But for a while, men ruled. (A long while.)

I watched The Passion of the Christ as well.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Thanks to JJL and BigB for their input. Update on the situation: the Wii was fired up!

My son is about the same age as JJL and he's a swell kid, too, in spite of having seen the LOTR trilogy and HP starting at the same age.

I agree totally with BigB about LOTR vs. HP. I've had many more reservations about the HP films than LOTR. I was uneasy seeing school children breaking limbs from such things as riding brooms, going on quests, and up to and killing monsters and other creatures. It bothered me that school children had died under Hogwarts auspices, as well. With LOTR, the story is black and white just as BigB says. HP always kept me guessing (I'm a fan of both franchises, BTW).

I guess blasting things into oblivion with the Wii was the better choice (at least for my sister-in-law).
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!