Page 400 of 433 FirstFirst ... 300350390396397398399400401402403404410 ... LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,000 of 4329
    Heaven's Gate. Damn, that's a long movie. I had a cold and nothing to do one afternoon and it was on the DVR. The action really didn't kick in until after the intermission, and that was a good 2, 2 1/2 hours into it. The premise was interesting, but I had to wonder how much stuff could've been eliminated to make it a better movie?

According to my ticket stub, I saw Oz: the Great and Po, which I guess was true, since all he wanted was mo' money, mo' money, mo' money! I found it fun but quite predictable. James Franco has just one look, as an actor. Didn't pay mo' money for the 3-D.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Well listen, I just stole Donald Trump's car and I need a place to lie low. Can I stash it at your place, BigB?

We can take turns driving it.

Meanwhile, I don't have a problem with the waterboarding etc. either when it's used to stop irreversible attacks. To be fair, it does cause permanent PTSD.
    I dunno, I was planning to vote for Trump if he ran for President, so I might turn you in. However, if you stole Al Gore's car and needed a place to stash it, then I'm your guy.

You know what else causes PTSD? Wars that go on too long because we're concerned about the civil rights of people who only want to kill Americans. So, I'm not really concerned about traumatizing a few enemy combatants if it saves American lives.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    According to my ticket stub, I saw Oz: the Great and Po, which I guess was true, since all he wanted was mo' money, mo' money, mo' money! I found it fun but quite predictable. James Franco has just one look, as an actor. Didn't pay mo' money for the 3-D.
    I really don't understand why James Franco keeps getting cast in movies. I guess the camera loves him, but he has absolutely no range as an actor.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post

You know what else causes PTSD? Wars that go on too long because we're concerned about the civil rights of people who only want to kill Americans. So, I'm not really concerned about traumatizing a few enemy combatants if it saves American lives.
    The people want to be free. Some cute girls from Saudi Arabia moved in to my apartment complex. They love living like American girls of course.

It's not "the people" that are our enemy over there. It's those that stand to lose power by not enforcing their fundamentalism.

But I know you know that. It's the militants that hide amongst civilians as has been done to us since the Vietnam War...

But we did that to the British in 1776. You saw "The Patriot," when the Brits killed Benjamin Martin's son and were going to hang the other one (Heath Ledger's character). ["Do you want to know how I got these scars?"]

Meanwhile, I'm watching a movie about different American heroes: in Apollo 13. Great movie. Now I own it, so I've seen it half a dozen times, but I really enjoy it anyway.

This is not Apollo 18 when they find aliens (that's fictional).

In TRUTH, Neil Armstrong discovered Sentinel Prime and started a war with the Transformers.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

The people want to be free. Some cute girls from Saudi Arabia moved in to my apartment complex. They love living like American girls of course.

It's not "the people" that are our enemy over there. It's those that stand to lose power by not enforcing their fundamentalism.

But I know you know that. It's the militants that hide amongst civilians as has been done to us since the Vietnam War...
    I'm mainly referring to the enemy combatants captured on the battlefield, not the civilians. Sure, sometimes it's difficult to tell the difference, but other times it's not so hard. I think we need to trust the judgement of our troops on the ground and allow them to discern who is a bad guy and who's not.

Anyways, I watched 2010 last night. I'd seen it before when I was in high school, probably 1987 or 1988, and I remember really enjoying it back then. Most likely because it had a similar storytelling style as Star Trek:TNG. I still enjoyed it the second time around. I definitely like it more than 2001, which I've never really been a fan of.

It was also fun to kind of compare where Arthur C. Clarke thought we would be in 2010 and where we actually were in 2010. In most ways, we were way behind that movie, but in some ways we are actually way ahead of it (primarily the computer interfaces and video technology).

I agree with what you posted above BigBarada.

Yeah, 2010 was more exciting than 2010.

Also, in terms of the space program, we're trying to get the financing together to go to Mars.

Jupiter is a lot further.

The question is how important is space exploration to our society?

1) We could get Bruce Willis to an asteroid to stop it from hitting the earth and causing our mass extinction. - Deep space exploration not necessary for this.

2) We could colonize another planet in our system for scientific and "creation origin" research. This could uncover concrete proof of something that negates religious doctrine that people are causing very dangerous wars over - but they probably wouldn't listen if their religion brings them power over the ignorant. (This is not a case for atheism, or agnosticism, but against fundamentalist absolutism.) We could also learn what it would take to terraform an evironment that could sustain us off earth. (for long-run usefulness).

3) We might find medicinal minerals on other planets in our solar system or precious gems that could deflate our currency and account for some social justice here at home.

4) We could take steps to prepare ourselves to leave earth in case our sun dies or our planet becomes uninhabitable. Those we'd learn how to grow food in space on a star cruiser or terraform when we can reach a better location than Mars or a moon of Jupiter - as maybe something in our own solar system would not be an option.

5) we could learn how to make space based weapons in order to defend the earth.

6) We might find new energy sources or a way to harness more solar power.

I'd say these things probably have to be handled simulatneaously with other problems here on earth: poverty, starvation, conservation, climate change, problems with political and religious absolutism, drug addiction, etc.

Do you think the space program is worthy? Should more or less resources be committed to it today? What about in 10-15 years if we can resolve some of our deficit issues?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Yeah, 2010 was more exciting than 2010.
    So are you agreeing that the movie 2010 was better than the movie 2001, but just mistyped 2001? Or are you agreeing that the movie 2010 was better than the actual year 2010? :P

2) We could colonize another planet in our system for scientific and "creation origin" research. This could uncover concrete proof of something that negates religious doctrine that people are causing very dangerous wars over - but they probably wouldn't listen if their religion brings them power over the ignorant. (This is not a case for atheism, or agnosticism, but against fundamentalist absolutism.) We could also learn what it would take to terraform an evironment that could sustain us off earth. (for long-run usefulness).
    But you'd also have to be ready for the possibility that the evidence would be just as likely to negate evolutionary doctrine. If not, then you are approaching the evidence with a personal bias and just forcing a pseudo-scientific form of fundamentalist absolutism upon people.

Although, it sound more like you are saying that if everybody was forced to believe in one theory for the origin of the universe and no one was allowed to disagree with that, then we'd have no more wars. Well of course we wouldn't, but that's because we would be living in a planet-wide dictatorship, not a free society. People should be allowed to decide for themselves what to believe.

Yeah I meant the movie 2010 was better than the movie 2001.

Because of the year the San Diego Padres had in 2010 it was also better than the movie 2010.

I'm not sure what being prepared for creationism to be proven means.

Intelligent designs by itself doesn't prove there was a single God and not Gods plural.

It also doesn't prove a creator or creators were immortal all knowing beings. Or that they have power such that prayer could be made effective.

Then if all that were also proven true by science or other ways of finding facts it doesn't make it certain that this proves doctrine is true.

Meanwhile I watched Goldfinger perhaps the best James Bond movie

Argo, A Company of Hero's, Skyfall and something else that escapes me at the moment.

My 1 word reviews are: Good, crap, decent.