Page 402 of 427 FirstFirst ... 302352392398399400401402403404405406412 ... LastLast
Results 4,011 to 4,020 of 4262
    Gumball Rally (1976). One of those movies I fondly remember watching on the late show as a kid. Still enjoyable.

Two-Headed Transplant. One of American-International's horror flicks from the early 70s. Not the greatest but interesting to see Casey Kasem in an acting role.

Rollerball (2002). I'd been wanting to see this one for a while now. Other than the title and the Jonathan character, it's nothing like the original, which I watch from time to time. I'll stick with the original.

Last night we watched Zero Dark Thirty. Bigelow did a good job of making you feel like you were on the raid with the team. Some of the seals were ID'ed as "DEVGRU" in the credits... What does that mean?

In the lead up to the season premier of Game of Thrones we caught up on the previous 2 seasons, which we were able to find on demand on HBO. It would be cool if other networks did that for their shows.
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

I watched

The Jackal

Sum of All Fears

Rock of Ages*

Wall Street

* I saw the live stage production of Rock of Ages - twice! These were sold-out special occasions in San Diego's Broadway Theater. No movie can compare to live theater.

The plot was also different. In the play, there was a large German developer company that threatened to destroy The Bourbon (L.A.'s premier live rock 'n roll nightclub). The main money man had a gay son - only the punch line was that he wasn't gay - just German.

And Sherry (the small town girl, living in a lonely world - yes, they sing the song by Street Lights by Journey) does sleep with rocker Stacy Jaxx (Tom Cruise) because she thinks that Drew messed around on her first.

In the movie, Stacy Jaxx actually slept with the Mayor's hypocritical church girl wife, Sister Christian (Catherine Zeta Jones) and the girl reporter from Rolling Stone and Sherry just delivered drinks to them back stage, just in time to give Drew the wrong impression of what really went down.

But I enjoyed the differences because I didn't know what was going to happen next.

In the movie, the record company guy is a douche just like he is in the live play. Having just gotten home from being really behind the scenes on the Queensryche tour, I got to hear the "voice of the music industry" directly from the source as a real Mafia type tried to twist Geoff Tate's arm. It looked that way to me and I'm standing right there. And while this is a major record company (and ran by the very real Mafia - I'm serious!) I hope Queensryche (Geoff Tate's version) does NOT sign with them and Mr. Douche.

Rock of Ages is real.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Dawn of the Dead (1978). On the big screen!!!!! One of my local theatres played the classic as part of its Saturday midnite movie series. It was great! Packed house, people dressed as zombies.

The Story of GI Joe (1945). Ernie Pyle's story about soldiers, not the toy. Burgess Meredith played journalist Pyle. I have to do some research to see where it was filmed. Looked like it some parts were filmed in Europe; the war-damaged buildings were just too realistic.

I'm watching

A Time To Kill

Lord Of War

Traffic

Scarface

The Jason Bourne Trilogy (Identity, Supremacy, Ultimatum)

I've enjoyed all these films.

I watch to get inspired while I'm not writing my own story (nearly done with my 2nd novel now!)
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I watch to get inspired while I'm not writing my own story (nearly done with my 2nd novel now!)
    I write very long short stories myself.

The Front (1976). I'm not a Woody Allen fan but the basis of this movie caught my eye. He's a cashier in early 1950s NYC who's asked by a childhood friend, a writer, to sell his scripts to a TV network because the friend was blacklisted by the McCarthy Committee. Allen becomes the front for three blacklisted writers. What I found interesting was, during the end credits, it was announced the director, producers and writer of the movie were blacklisted themselves.

OC, a "very long short story" is called a novel.

Congrats to undertaking this adventure yourself. You already have good story-telling tastes by your program selections, so you should probably make some professional publishing efforts if you do not already (I never asked but would not be surprised if you have already done so).

Meanwhile, I hope you like what I came up with. It's expanding past 603 pages right now.

My characters are fighting their own use of cocaine at present, not to mention dealing with the Mafia and a black street gang (three more of my yet surviving characters are black but their dealings with the gang and the Italians are precarious at best).

The lead is a white girl who's left the FBI when she could vanish as a casualty in a Gulf Coast hurricane's horrific aftermath, and she found herself the opportunity to really take advantage of some very illegal / immoral opportunities.

As you are a fan of the same kinds of programming I watch, there will not be a "good girl" in the end, but evil, selfish wrong-doing, will win in the end.

The morality tale will be left to be ascribed by my reader - not by my narrative. Sometimes you can compromise your "taught" values and look out for yourself, and even get away with it. That's the light I want to shed on true human nature. My story is full of sex, military action / adventurism violence, racism, sexism, homophobic discrimination, drug and alcohol abuse, full-on authority corruption, bad weather and dangerous ecology, let alone the truth about how things F@*%in really are. It's my aim to wake people up who dare read my material if they stray from super heroes and altruistic robots who save the day in (all of our) favorite fantasies.

I had something to say - my own Dark Side, hatred, etc. to express. My work will be vile but I think YOU may be the first to appreciate it, OC. Our tastes seem similar. And what I write of does not necessarily represent me personally. But when I get angry with the way the world is, both our shows and especially the use of my writing ability, is definitely a path to express my feelings about things.

Write on. I encourage you whole-heartedly.

I've dabbled in the SW universe; have a couple of cool stories. I primarily write action-adventure-military type stories. Write a lot of WWII stuff and modern day military. Big fan of Allistair MacLean and Jack Higgins material.

I've also written two WWII-zombie stories, too. They were fun.

I write action adventure as well. My stories have military elements to them, especially my civil war book Which is also Western in its nature. My modern novel involves the Coast Guard and DEA / FBI Vs organized crime the Mafia and drug cartels.

Today writing the latter one has kept me away from seeing Star Trek as of yet.

There is now a Star Trek (12) Into the Darkness thread that's active.

It is a SPOILER thread for serious post-viewing movie analysis.