Page 404 of 440 FirstFirst ... 304354394400401402403404405406407408414 ... LastLast
Results 4,031 to 4,040 of 4393
    Saw ST Into Darkness the other day. It was a very entertaining movie and I really liked the chemistry between the crew. I also enjoyed the villain quite a bit too. I think I'd like to see it in the theaters again at some point.

My wife and I also saw The Great Gatsby tonight. Thought that it was very well done, but my only complaint was that they went a little overboard with the special effects. I kinda wished they would've dialed it back a bit. Its been awhile since I read the book, so I'm not sure how closely it followed it.

Shaft's Big Score and Shaft in Africa. Hadn't checked these movies out before, but I really liked Shaft in Africa. He was hired to infiltrate a human trafficking ring from Africa to France. The final chase sequence in Shaft's Big Score was pretty good. Liked the old shipyard shootout.

Lincoln

Slow and ponderous. Even being a history major, it was difficult to sit through. Perplexed by Mr. Day-Lewis' sitting in profile for most of the movie looking like a penny. That's all he has to offer? He's given better performances. Not Academy worthy IMO. I was more impressed with David Strathairn's roll.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

You all HAVE to see "42," the Jackie Robinson story.

Granted I'm a HUGE baseball fan, but this is about the history of racism and civil rights in our country too.

Harrison Ford (Brooklyn Dodgers owner) deserves an Academy Award for his portrayal of the cantankerous old owner of a down and out team that at first tried to break racial barriers as a ticket sales incentive but then came around to the decision that he'd rather fire every (racist) star on his team than condone the tragedy that plagued Mr. Robinson. Instead, only 1 player remained a racist - but not on the Brooklyn Dodgers as the owner promptly traded him to Pittsburgh. And then the Dodgers took it all the way to the World Series with not only the first black ballplayer, but the first black MVP "All-Star" though there wasn't a formal All-Star team back in those days.

This is a heart-warming story that survives the 2nd darkest time for people of color in our country (the first darkest being when there was still slavery of course) and this true story picture comes out triumphant.

For baseball fans, it's a must-see on the big screen as you are right there at eye-level with 3rd base as Jackie Robinson slides into the camera for a stolen bag! The footage of baseball history (recreated) is incredible!

As is this true story.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban have been on in the last few days. I'd almost forgotten how good these films are.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post

Granted I'm a HUGE baseball fan, but this is about the history of racism and civil rights in our country too.

Harrison Ford (Brooklyn Dodgers owner) deserves an Academy Award for his portrayal of the cantankerous old owner of a down and out team that at first tried to break racial barriers as a ticket sales incentive but then came around to the decision that he'd rather fire every (racist) star on his team than condone the tragedy that plagued Mr. Robinson. Instead, only 1 player remained a racist - but not on the Brooklyn Dodgers as the owner promptly traded him to Pittsburgh. And then the Dodgers took it all the way to the World Series with not only the first black ballplayer, but the first black MVP "All-Star" though there wasn't a formal All-Star team back in those days.
    I would like to see this one, too. But, wasn't the first All-Star Game in the 1930s (in fact, they had two different games for a few years)?

I had heard that this was a bit like Lincoln, in that the "action" scenes (a la Civil War battles) weren't as much the focus as the person himself was.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Hellcats of the Navy. Interesting WWII sub movie with Ronnie Reagan.

Reunion in France (1942). Joan Crawford is a Parisian resident who tries to help shot-down Eagle Squadron member John Wayne escape from the Germans. Before she went bat-crap crazy, a 1930s/40s Joan Crawford is kinda a hottie.

Beast from 20,000 Fantoms. I'd seen this one before, but I was amazed at Ray Harryhausen's work in this flick. The stop-action technique is just amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post

This is a heart-warming story that survives the 2nd darkest time for people of color in our country (the first darkest being when there was still slavery of course) and this true story picture comes out triumphant.

For baseball fans, it's a must-see on the big screen as you are right there at eye-level with 3rd base as Jackie Robinson slides into the camera for a stolen bag! The footage of baseball history (recreated) is incredible!

As is this true story.
    I saw it in theaters a few weeks back and I really enjoyed it. My dad is a big history buff, so I'm probably going to buy it for him when it comes out on DVD.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Yeah. I love history myself, and 42 is definitely a movie you can watch a few times over again. It's that good.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Best Number Movies of All Time:
    9. 2010
    8. 2001
    7. 1984
    6. 1941
    5. 300
    4. 42
    3. 21
    2. 10
    1. Se7en
    "That's what Sheev said."