Page 405 of 433 FirstFirst ... 305355395401402403404405406407408409415 ... LastLast
Results 4,041 to 4,050 of 4323
    I like Bel Cam's post.

No further comment. I'm tired and can read but need sleep.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Life of Pi

Visually awesome, aurally difficult to follow because of my inability to sort through English spoken with heavy Indian or Japanese accents.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Band of Brothers
    Deadwood Season I, II and III
    Boardwalk Empire Seasons I & II
    Beyond The Pale

And a bunch more that I can't think of at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    Life of Pi

Visually awesome, aurally difficult to follow because of my inability to sort through English spoken with heavy Indian or Japanese accents.
    I liked the movie also, but I had the same difficulties understanding a lot of the dialog. I thought it might just be the crappy built-in speakers on my TV.

Anyways, watched Man of Steel at the midnight premiere on Thursday night. I loved it. Probably the best Superman movie made since the original Christopher Reeve film. In fact, I might even like it better than that one. Superman has always been one of my favorite superheroes, so it's cool to see him getting the epic treatment that he deserves. I had a few minor problems with the story and the final battle goes on a bit too long, but they got Superman right and to me that's the most important part of any superhero movie.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by OC47151 View Post
    Shaft's Big Score and Shaft in Africa. Hadn't checked these movies out before, but I really liked Shaft in Africa. He was hired to infiltrate a human trafficking ring from Africa to France. The final chase sequence in Shaft's Big Score was pretty good. Liked the old shipyard shootout.
    I've always remembered the line in one of these where a girl asks Shaft (I paraphrase), "Is that cocaine?" Shaft responds, "It sure ain't cotton, baby!"

I saw some spoilers about Man of Steel that make me completely uninterested in seeing it. No, make that completely opposed to seeing it. There are some things about a character that iconic that are simply not negotiable in my book, and I understand the film betrays two of them in a major way. Don't want to sound too gripey, but I refuse to pay money to see it. Sure, it'll make jillions, but none of it from my pocket. So I'll just pretend it's an adaptation of Rob Liefeld's Supreme or something, because, with what I've read and don't want to get too spoilery about, it pretty much is, except they gave him feet.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

****excruciatingly spoiler-free****

I saw Man of Steel. I liked that I was watching a Superman film where he actually and consistently does something. Though I had a several problems with various key elements in the film, this is the first film where Superman really does Superman-type stuff throughout the entirety of the film. In the past, Superman films focused on the "man" part more than the "super" part, probably because the "super" stuff is very expensive. The tone of the film is decidedly serious, somber, and, when you couple this the Dark Knight trilogy, you can easily see a clear contrast established by DC to the Marvel movie-verse which just seems to be more fun. Though I suppose the Green Lantern fiasco of a film sort renders my point partially invalid, that film, which I found unwatchable to point where I got up and left to exchange my 3D glasses and buy concessions, is a better comparison point than the Batman films in that Man of Steel, while problematic, is definitely watchable and enjoyable. The performances and effects were strong, the music was subtle (smartly avoiding any John Williams reference), and the 3D was not annoying. I think that when you start plotting story by an executive committee, there is a bound to be a disconnect. I'll still watch the extended version of the film (I read somewhere that the first cut was over three hours long - so I'm sure we'll see it on bluray at some point) to see if any of my concerns get addressed, though I suspect most will not.

The Christopher Reeve/Richard Donner Superman is still my favorite and when I think more about that film, I can see how its humor and reverence for the source material really influenced the Marvel movie-verse much more than it seems to have influenced the DC movie verse.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I saw some spoilers about Man of Steel that make me completely uninterested in seeing it. No, make that completely opposed to seeing it. There are some things about a character that iconic that are simply not negotiable in my book, and I understand the film betrays two of them in a major way. Don't want to sound too gripey, but I refuse to pay money to see it. Sure, it'll make jillions, but none of it from my pocket. So I'll just pretend it's an adaptation of Rob Liefeld's Supreme or something, because, with what I've read and don't want to get too spoilery about, it pretty much is, except they gave him feet.
    Is there a spoiler thread where we can talk about this stuff? Because I think I know exactly what you are talking about.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I watched myself fight in Christopher Guest's HBO mini-series, "Family Tree," my debut being last night!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

World War Z. I walked into the theatre expecting a big-budget zombie movie, and that's what I got. I haven't read the book (yet) but I was aware of the uproar about the exceptions made between the book and movie. The CG effects were the real star of this movie.

Gorky Park (1983). Hadn't seen this one if 20+ years. It's refreshing to see Lee Marvin playing a sophicated businessman instead of a drunk cowboy or soldier.

Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man (1991). Another one I hadn't seen in about 20 years. Watched it after a co-worker reminded me it was on the TV.