Page 426 of 433 FirstFirst ... 326376416422423424425426427428429430 ... LastLast
Results 4,251 to 4,260 of 4328
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I was disappointed that they had next to no backstory on Winter Soldier himself, that was really disappointing. He's sporting a red star but they don't connect it at all, and they also leave out the Black Widow connection to that. What a missed opportunity.

As for action character development... who? I didn't really notice any character development, Cap starts virtuous and ends even more virtuous, Nick Fury still doesn't really trust, Black Widow remains unchanged. If one were a newcomer to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, none of these characters would have been developed at all, as far as I took away from the film. The closest I could point to as character development was Cap realizing his homespun American beliefs didn't mesh with the ultra-controlling modern security-conscious world, and even that was essentially lip service.
    I think the Captain changed through the movie. He starts and ends virtuous as you pointed out, but thats what makes him who he is. I think he pays more than lip service to his old fashioned ways meshing with the new world. At one point, he's very confused as who to believe and trust, but he adjusts. I think the whole deal with the info on the flash drive is a good illustration. He also starts out still kinda clinging to the past and starts moving away from it(nurse next door), until he realizes who TWS really is and it kinda drags him back.

I thought Black Widow changed as well. When it starts out, she's up to her usual tricks. When she's on the run with CA, I think that his virtuousness rubs off on her. In the end, she realizes she is going to have to face up to her past and accept the consequences. I think she also develops a little affection for him as well.

Your right that Nick Fury didn't really change. He's basically the same from beginning to end. His mistrust might be notched up a bit now.

Its not night and day difference, but I think its definitely there and its more than alot of movies show. A few lines of dialogue usually qualifies as development nowdays, but they took the time, specifically with the scenes with CA and BW, to make the dialogue more meaningful.

I liked how they kept TWS very mysterious at first. But I wish we wouldve gotten a little more info in the end. They're saving it for CA3. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the comics, TWS becomes CA after the original CA is killed. If they go that route for CA3, I'd guess we'll get alot of the info then.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I was disappointed that they had next to no backstory on Winter Soldier himself, that was really disappointing. He's sporting a red star but they don't connect it at all, and they also leave out the Black Widow connection to that. What a missed opportunity.
    Despite enjoying the film, this part bothered me as well. The Winter Soldier has such a grand backstory, with the Red Room, the connection to Black Widow, the Cold War, post-Soviet Russia, Baron Zemo, the Cosmic Cube, the Red Skull - Brubaker didn't hold back when he wrote the storyline. It's intense and relevant. The best explanation I can come up with is that Marvel is saving this for a later film. Sebastian Stan did sign a nine-picture deal to play his character and has only done two so far. Though Marvel could go through the events of the "Death of Captain America" storyline in CA3, I don't think it would have the punch it should without the preceding Civil War (superhuman registration) storyline - which I doubt would occupy an Avengers film, though the seeds for it could be planted in the next one. Maybe the next Cap film will be Civil War and end with his death, leading to the next film where we get Bucky becoming Cap. Having Civil War as the storyline, one where so much of the Marvel Universe is involved, as the central narrative of the film makes some sense, since Marvel has positioned the film's release date on the same day that DC is releasing Batman vs. Superman or whatever it ends up being titled. That film is supposed to introduce the foundation of the Justice League. Cap by himself versus the Justice League might be a stretch for Marvel to succeed with, though this TWS was superior to MoS. But having the established cinematic Marvel Universe versus the emerging cinematic DC Universe seems like a fairer fight. Who knows…?

I haven't seen Captain America yet. Haven't read above.

I watched:

Next of Kin - really good especially for fans of Justified - Patrick Swayze and Liam Neeson, Ben Stiller, Helen Hunt, Adam Baldwin.

The Devil's Own with Harrison Ford and Brad Pitt - unfortunately kind of forgettable but not bad.

Next of Kin is better.

I'm watching "Not Another Teen Movie." I love the references to Breakfast Club etc. I'm hoping for awkward / crazy / funny teen sex scenes. I got to the whipped cream part. Dumb! But the movie is making me laugh and appealing to my unsophisticated sense of humor. No one in the movie has burped or farted yet and I feel the sound designers might be lacking. But they just ordered beer and pizza so this situation may rectify itself (get it? Rectify is a word similar to rectum?) Oh - and I got the Ferris Bueler's Day Off references too.

You know, Project X was another great teen party movie. When I was in high school I threw a rager only once. That was enough as I was paying for the house repairs for quite a while. But I still think back on that one and know it was definitely worth it!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Watched the original Terminator last night. I usually end up having to watch it at least a couple times a year.

The entire Terminator franchise is always in my Top 4 (which coincide with what I collect):

Star Wars
    Transformers
    Star Trek
    Terminator

There are many more franchises I collect and toy memorabilia I wish I had room for, but Terminator is never even a question as to whether it's a top choice!

Good pick.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

My top 4 are:

Star Wars
    Star Trek
    Alien
    Terminator

I primarily collect SW with a little of the others mixed in.

The Hot Toys Alien and Predator 1/6 scale stuff are some of the finest collectible items every made. I think I like the Predator stuff best.

Their Batman and GI Joe lines are incredible, too.

But Aliens ARE Transformers: they go from egg to face-hugger to embryo to chest-burster to alien (or egg-laying queen)

Who knows? One might evolve wings, but I seriously doubt wheels.

Watched my digital copy of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug the other night. I bought it when it first came out, but just hadn't had a chance to sit down and watch the whole movie until Saturday night.

While I like the movie, so far I think it is probably the weakest of all the films. So much of the movie just felt like filler and nothing about DOS makes me think that this needed to be a trilogy. Oh well, hopefully I'll feel differently after watching part 3.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Watched my digital copy of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug the other night. I bought it when it first came out, but just hadn't had a chance to sit down and watch the whole movie until Saturday night.
    I'm waiting for the extended version that's bound to be released later this year. Still need to pick up the extended version of the first Hobbit, too.

Submarine X-1 (1968). A WWII movie about James Caan as a submariner who's piloting a minature sub to sink a German warship in the fjords of Norway. It's kinda cheesy but yet I like it.

Watching the Military History Channel, I am watching an episode focused on Patton (Battlefields 360).

I did not realize that Hitler got the French appeasers to fight Americans in North Africa. Or somehow I forgot that.

The French Vietche (spelling) government (Hitler's puppet and commanded by Rommel to some degree*) fought the United States for Casablanca.

*I always thought Rommel commanded Germans for Germany (which he did with his Panzer squadrons but the French Hitler-Humpers++ took orders from Rommel too, I guess).

I'm glad Patton FRIED the French! Traitors!

The Maquis and the French Foreign Legion were the real French heroes of WWII.

I'm glad that in the future the Decepticons and COBRA will attack Paris - except for the loss of art and historical buildings, some of them kind of deserved that. Appeasing Hitler? What's next? Will they kneel before Zod and capitulate to Galvatron?

I mean, the Frenchies need to get real lest they deserve COBRA Commander and Destro running things.

Do we really risk sacrificing Roadblock and General Hawk to rescue them again?

++ Hitler-Humpers is a new term to me that I just heard while catching up on Justified. I'm totally going to make good use of that. I laughed out loud when hearing it. Justified used it as a descriptive for white supremacists in prison. Perfect!