Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

too early for TPM nostalgia ?

It's been just over 7 years since the release of The Phantom Menace...is it too soon to be feeling nostalgic for that period of time?

I know it's not too soon for Slicker, since he's still trying to track down that elusive Naboo Battlefield/Transforming MTT

But really, is anyone else feeling the nostalgia? I am.

Someone mentioned it in a Gentle Giant minibust thread regarding the Qui-Gon Jinn on the way and lately I've been feeling the same way for a few reasons.

I've been watching ROTS on and off many times these last few weeks on HBO and I'm STILL picking up little "rhymes" with TPM, stuff that most people have already picked up on but not my slow witted mind. For example, Anakin's Starfighter is yellow in ROTS and in TPM he piloted a yellow Naboo fighter. Little stuff like that.

The main thing that's got me feeling nostalgic for TPM is my recent inventory that I took of my entire collection. The toys are a small part of it, of course the toys take me back but it's more the promotional stuff that had me on a 1999 kick. I know TPM is associated with a glut of over merchandising and it sucks that it had an effect on what they did for AOTC but at the time I had TONS of fun with the TPM experience and I have VERY fond memories of it.

This all lead me to watch the movie again for the first time since JimJam and I hammered out the Sextology Marathon of all 6 films back in November 2005...and overall I still love the movie. Well, maybe I don't love the WHOLE movie as it does have some poor moments but in general I am fond of much of it. Some people are bothered by midichlorians but I'm bothered more by Ewan McGregor's puffy face and fake hair from the reshot scenes.

My point in starting this thread wasn't really to talk about the movie itself but rather the atmosphere and collectibles of that particular year...if this thread goes into the territory of whether or not the movie sucked (which I expect it will after stillakid returns from holiday ), well I'm going to stay out of the actual movie discussions. But I might have more to say on the nostalgia I'm feeling for the whole experience.

Anyone else feeling nostalgic or are you just glad to be away from that period of time?

Even though I like TPM, I think I'm more nostalgic for the summer of 1999.
    Damn, that was a great year. It was so much fun gathering stuff and seeing NEW Star Wars stuff everywhere. And all that money spent seeing it over and over and over.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

that's what I'm tawkin' 'bout !

The time period itself, the hype and ambience of the whole thing. The Taco Bell / Pizza Hut / KFC (no Slicker, they didn't have those bowls yet ) trips I made to hunt down the premiums.

Most of those little kids meals toys were crap but they were still fun to collect and I made sure to get the under 3 variation at T Bell. The BK ROTJ toys were way cooler but still, the TPM toys came in those clunky boxes that could be put together to build a mural (I never bothered ).

The cup toppers were AWESOME and I was delighted to browse through the set of 12 when I was doing my inventory a few weeks back. They should have done those for AOTC and ROTJ, I would have collected them.

The nostalgia began when it was removed from theatres.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Yea, 1999 in general I am feeling the nostalgia.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

I remember buying nearly everything for TPM. I love the movie and figures then and I still love the movie and figures now (I really want a new Jar Jar). I bought all of the fast food premiums, all of the figures, every magazine with Star Wars on the cover, and every other ridiculous thing that was released for TPM. I think the TPM toys is what got me really, really, really hardcore going. I had everything before but I think TPM kinda cemented me into it for good.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker
    I remember buying nearly everything for TPM. I love the movie and figures then and I still love the movie and figures now (I really want a new Jar Jar). I bought all of the fast food premiums, all of the figures, every magazine with Star Wars on the cover, and every other ridiculous thing that was released for TPM. I think the TPM toys is what got me really, really, really hardcore going. I had everything before but I think TPM kinda cemented me into it for good.
    I KNEW!!!!!!!, that (way before eps1 came out) that if I started getting a few figs here and there that I would not be able to stop myself from collecting. I vowed not to buy anything. Then one day, one of my friends brought a bunch of the figures from wave 1 of EPS1. I saw the Darth Maul fig and I just HAD to have them!!!!!! So for about 2 years I collected frenzily. Then quit cold turkey. I still get the Cantina and Jabbas palace figs and real cool exclusives but that is the extent of it.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

i'm not nostalgic for having to go to taco bell at least twice a week to see which toys that had but i am nostalgic for the summer of '99. i worked a bit in the hollywood area which meant i passed by the mann's chinese and the countingdown.com lineup daily. that's also when i started to hit stores daily at opening. i remember one day at the local kay bee, there had to have been 20 people waiting for the employees to bring out the tatooine maul case and when they brought the cases out, they just dropped them on the floor and a total feeding frenzy began. many MOC figures were bent and crushed in that chaotic moment. i didn't even get the maul and had to settle for the obi wan and qui gon w. robes which for that time was an astounding sculpt.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    It's been just over 7 years since the release of The Phantom Menace...is it too soon to be feeling nostalgic for that period of time?

Anyone else feeling nostalgic or are you just glad to be away from that period of time?
    Hey, tell that to VH1 and their "I Love the '90s" series that started about 3 years after the nineties ended.

I had never felt that way about a movie opening before... it had been 16 years since a new SW film came out, instead of 3 between the OT films. I had chills when Maul appears in the Theed hanger doorway, I still was somewhat shocked when Qui-Gon was stabbed (knew it was coming but still saddened), smiled when R2 was introduced, etc. Being able to walk into a toy store and just dump SW stuff into my cart? Yeah, nostalgia and I are good friends; we go way back...
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

No its not to soon to have those thoughts Caesar, when I think back to waiting in line for tickets etc. I think of those as being happy memories.

"I've got a little league game!"