Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bruce was out last month, err now it's July so I guess not, but regardless of its release date "The Seeger Sessions" is a wonderful recording.

I saw a headline that he'd announced another one already. I didn't click it, since it was video, and I hate online video. Just let me read it, fer cryin' out loud.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

For the most part, I agree with what's been said. However, I'm glad to be around now, when there's easy access to music and movies from every period of time. Now you're able to compare new and old, and take what you like, and throw out what you don't. There's a much wider selection today, and it will continue to grow as the years go by.

For Star Wars, I would've liked to have seen them in the theaters back in the 70s and 80s, but I'm glad I was able to see them in the Special Editions, and the prequels when they were new.

As far as music goes, I do feel that the best has passed. As KH said, many people still listen to classic rock -- Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and the Beatles are my three favorite bands. I would've loved to have seen them live, which is why I'm hoping that the Floyd will reunite for a tour soon (they keep going on separate ones, or ones with two or three members, but it would be so much better if they all did it together). Anyway, they're just so damn much better than most of the acts today. That's not to say that there are some good musicians today, but they're just not as good as "back in the day." But of course there were still crappy bands at that time as well.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I've been thinking alot about this and it's not only music but it extends into historical events too. The main one for me would be the war (how many thousands of wars have been fought but this one is still called "THE" war). It would've been something to live in those times and realize that the world had a real chance of being dominated by one person and to then fight and survive a war where nearly 75,000,000 people died (nearly the entire population of America at the time and roughly 5% or so of the ENTIRE planet going with a world pop. of 2 billion). More events are the Kennedy assassination, Vietnam, WWI, Civil War, the beginning of the SW frenzy in '77 and several others that don't come to mind right now.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Sure, a lot of the popular music these days may not seem to live up to the greats of the past, but then again, a lot of classic rock bands didn't have many top 40 hits. That was in the day when album oriented rock became prominent, and bands like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd gathered a following that way. Also, back in the 70's and 80's, if you were sick of the pop music on the radio, there weren't as many options. You had to seek out alternative music. College radio, searching through record stores, and word of mouth were about all you had. Nirvana making it big helped expose a lot of that alternative music to a wider audience. Now, with iTunes and internet radio and mp3s being shared, you can find just about anything you want. You may still have to work a little to find something better than what is on the radio, but it's still a lot easier than it used to be.

I feel your pain Slick. Today's generation isn't going to be schooled in old time rock n' roll and instead have been brought up on a steady diet of boy bands, thug rappers, and talentless windbags like Ashlee Simpson. They don't have a real appreciation of how music had real message and actually helped contribute to the feelings of the times (I am thinking of the 60's).

Friends laugh when they see my CD collection sans any real of today's hits. They laugh at my Lovin' Spoonful, Marvin Gaye, Lennon, Spanky and Our Gang, and Dylan (okay I'll admit Spanky doesn't belong) CDs but I point out that these guys were the revolutionaries of their times and today's collective musicians do not have the collective talent to match a genius like Dylan.

Our local Oldies station switched formats recently and pretty much canned half of their playlist in favor of pseudoOldies like John Mellencamp, Billy Joel, and U2. I love each of those folks, but if I am in the mood to listen to them, I will switch stations to a myriad of local programs that play their list. That Oldies station was the last of a dying breed and now I don't even have them to listen to those classics anymore.

I know there are alternative forums for Oldies music out there, a local classic rock station for instance, (I'm sure XM has a few that I don't know of) but they too are shifting program to include modern classics like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden etc. I just hope that ten/twenty years from now they eliminate the music from the 60's, & 70's because of lack of viewer interest. That music transcends generations.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner
    That Oldies station was the last of a dying breed and now I don't even have them to listen to those classics anymore.

I know there are alternative forums for Oldies music out there, a local classic rock station for instance, (I'm sure XM has a few that I don't know of) but they too are shifting program to include modern classics like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden etc.
    You should check out Live365.com. There are thousands of internet radio stations there covering just about every kind of music. Some are professional stations, some are just music enthusiasts who enjoy putting together and entertaining show, and some are just hacks like me. It's free to listen to, but there are ads. For $5 a month or less if you get a longer term package, you can listen ad-free. If you have iTunes, there are a variety of different internet stations preset into the Radio section. I used to listen to Indie Pop Rocks on somafm.com a lot. They have a few other stations as well, but are mostly ambient, electronic or techno type stuff. Recently, I also discovered pandora.com, where you enter a song or an artist, and it will start playing songs based on that using something called the Music Genome Project I believe it is called.

So, there are lots of options to find quality music, both new and old. Much of it is stuff you would never hear on regular radio, except for maybe a college station or NPR or something.

Thanks for the information MSP, I do have itunes and I am checking out the radio section out now.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner
    Thanks for the information MSP, I do have itunes and I am checking out the radio section out now.
    You're welcome. I forgot to mention one other source. I enjoy the digital music channels I get on Comcast cable. They have most of the genres and periods covered pretty well, though the alternative channel is not as alternative as it could be, and I wish the Soundscapes channel had a bit more of the spacey music that I hear on internet stations like Astreaux World.