Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by elvandrik View Post
    It doesn't matter how much of a control freak you are once you're dead. The living can do whatever they want with the rights they own.

Hell, I'd even bet that Lucas might even do it while he's alive to make a few extra bucks. That's all special edition was. Lucas is more about $$$$ than protecting the integrity of his work. I doubt he re-released the original trilogy just so he culd have Greedo shoot first..........follow the money trail.
    Actually, the living can't for at least 75 years. That's how long the estate/successor has to hold it before anything is done/becomes fair use etc. Also, as long as Lucy Wilson is there or her designated successor, nothing will change. She's only been overruled 1 time by Flannel Man with regards to story aproval, and that was which Solo kid died when.

And really the SE were more about now that his divorce was settled, raising capital to invest in the technology and abilities to make the prequals. It wasn't about profit motive since almost all of it was reinvested.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

Quote Originally Posted by pbarnard View Post
    Actually, the living can't for at least 75 years. That's how long the estate/successor has to hold it before anything is done/becomes fair use etc. Also, as long as Lucy Wilson is there or her designated successor, nothing will change. She's only been overruled 1 time by Flannel Man with regards to story aproval, and that was which Solo kid died when.

And really the SE were more about now that his divorce was settled, raising capital to invest in the technology and abilities to make the prequals. It wasn't about profit motive since almost all of it was reinvested.

Exactly, the special edition was about making money. Your making my point for me.

Lucy Wilson will sell out if it means the franchise making more money. If interest dies off in Star Wars in 10-30 years, she's either out of a job or going to see a reduction in overall licensing profits. If some studio or film exec says "Hey, lets remake the films to spark interest and generate piles of cash" they are going to do it.

Star Wars is guarunteed money if you remake it. Considering how powerful computer technology will improve in the coming decades, they could easily remake it even more visually stunning and probably do it cheaper (if you figure in the inflation differential). Star Wars is not some pristine holy grail that can't be redone for the right amount of money.

Seriously, there's no way it will never be remade. It's not if, its when. It's a cyclical process. In 20 years, instead of arguing about if Hayden Christenson can act or not, we'll all be arguing if we like the new actress playing Leia or Carrie Fisher. Megan Fox would make a SMOKING HOT Leia!!!

Exactly, the special edition was about making money. Your making my point for me.

Megan Fox would make a SMOKING HOT Leia!!!
    It's not about making money for money's sake as you're implying. It's not about profit or getting rich. It's about making money like an endowment. THe money made goes back to the product to keep going the directions and varied directions it is going. Plus, unless you can invent a series and be successful and continue it, more power to you. Otherwise, it's George Lucas's galaxy, everyone else just gets invited in for play dates.

She's safe in her job security. The big push will be in 5 years or so when she does step down, becuase inside baseball says she doesn't trust Chee at all but does several other subordinates (and that will be a messy fight). The fight will be between the animated CW vs the loyalists to the older EU.

Jake Lloyd has more acting chops that Megan Fox ever will dream she has.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

Jake Lloyd has actually proven that, with some direction, he's not a bad actor at all. He'll just forever have TPM hovering over his head.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Lol, Teras Kasi!! That's old skool terrible!! Props on that one.
    Thanks. Teras Kasi is my go-to lameo SW item.

Seriously, they are gonna do the same thing with Star Wars as they did Star Trek. They are gonna wait until the creator (roddenberry/Lucas) dies, and then REBOOT the whole thing.

Trust me. It's gonna happen. Hopefully when they remake it Greedo shoots first and we don't mention (puke) midichlorians. Hopefully Lucas will die soon so someone can undo the damage he has done to the franchise over the last 10 years.
    Supposedly, Lucas has a trust created by his will to ensure that won't happen, not even by his children.

It doesn't matter how much of a control freak you are once you're dead. The living can do whatever they want with the rights they own.
    Actually, that's not true. A will can be set up to supersede control over an estate's trademark and copyrighted materials from the natural heirs, if done properly. Of course, in 67 years when the trademarks and copyrights expire on Star Wars, then they can do whatever they want, provided the law isn't changed to keep that from happening the way it has been for Mickey Mouse.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I finished Omen. It's not the worst SW novel I've read (Shatterpoint still holds that distinction) but it's certainly not the best.

Since I've invested so much time into the story, I have to know how it finishes. I'll wait to see if the library gets the next book.

Looks like Legacy is getting canceled with issue #50. Wonder if they'll wrap up their timeline, or leave it open for something else down the line.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by OC47150 View Post
    I finished Omen. It's not the worst SW novel I've read (Shatterpoint still holds that distinction) but it's certainly not the best.

Since I've invested so much time into the story, I have to know how it finishes. I'll wait to see if the library gets the next book.
    Shatterpoint...

When read the sentence "the spaceport smelled of urine..." I raised an eyebrow. Not something I found particularly Star Warsy, but I chose to read on.

Then I got to Mace Windu's nude, public shower fight with the gang members and I closed the book, thinking I would pick it up again sometime later.

That was back in June 2003....

Shatterpoint joins Rogue Planet, The Cestus Deception and Jedi Trial in the league of Star Wars books that I found so boring, uncompelling or weird I had no interest in finishing them.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype]"There was Rocketman, trying to get out, and here comes the cliff, and just before the car went off the cliff, he jumped free! And all the kids cheered! But I didn't cheer. I stood right up and started shouting. This isn't what happened last week! Have you all got amnesia? They just cheated us! This isn't fair! HE DID'NT GET OUT OF THE COCKADOODIE CAR!" - Annie Wilkes [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Supposedly, Lucas has a trust created by his will to ensure that won't happen, not even by his children.
    Sorry to double post, but could you elaborate more on this, JT? It would give me great comfort that George has devoted resources to protect Star Wars from remakes and reboots.

I don't want to live to see the day Ryan Reynolds plays Han Solo next to a CG Chewbacca. I just couldn't handle it!
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype]"There was Rocketman, trying to get out, and here comes the cliff, and just before the car went off the cliff, he jumped free! And all the kids cheered! But I didn't cheer. I stood right up and started shouting. This isn't what happened last week! Have you all got amnesia? They just cheated us! This isn't fair! HE DID'NT GET OUT OF THE COCKADOODIE CAR!" - Annie Wilkes [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Looks like Legacy is getting canceled with issue #50. Wonder if they'll wrap up their timeline, or leave it open for something else down the line.
    That's weird, it's Dark Horse's 2nd best selling series, and their best selling of their 4 SW lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsession is Nute View Post
    Sorry to double post, but could you elaborate more on this, JT? It would give me great comfort that George has devoted resources to protect Star Wars from remakes and reboots.

I don't want to live to see the day Ryan Reynolds plays Han Solo next to a CG Chewbacca. I just couldn't handle it!
    As I understand it, his will contains a steep amount of protection against anyone, even his family, using the Star Wars name in any way or making any media from it. It may have changed with the multiple TV series, but I would assume he has directives to deal with their futures as well. Of course, that only covers the next 67 years until the copyright expires.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.