Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    In the same style as his Vader and Son, Jeffrey Brown's Vader's Little Princess was quite funny. Dozens of one-page color drawings of how tough it is for a single Darth raising a "rebellious" teenager (as its opening crawl said).
    I recently flipped through Vader and Son and found it very amusing.

Picked up Crucible last night. It might have to set on the shelf until after I finish Fate of the Jedi series. Still have about 3 - 4 books to go.

Read a synopsis of Kenobi online and thought it sounds pretty interesting. If I can find a copy at a decent price, I'm tempted to pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by OC47151 View Post
    Found Kenobi for $16.20 at WM. Gonna pick it up.
    It's listed as "Coming Soon!" on my library's website. :waiting:

In-hand now. Just gotta read it!
    Last edited by Bel-Cam Jos; 08-30-2013 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Joy of Reading!
    "That's what Sheev said."

I am about 2/3 through it, and it's better than decent, but below awesome. Some surprises, especially about Sand People. I am concerned with one of the author's comments in the intro., but we'll see.

Finished it tonight, and I feel the need to post about it. First of all, it was pretty good as a story, with vivid characters and less-predictable plots. Now, in light font, are my spoiler comments below:

I was quite disappointed, but I suppose I shouldn't have been, that Qui-Gon never made connection with Obi-Wan. I thought perhaps that'd be how it ended, or even just a whisper or feeling from him. I take exception with Miller's comment in the Acknowledgements, "I began developing the story that is Kenobi in 2006, when... my editor at Dark Horse, challenged me to write something that hadn't been done as yet: Star Wars as a western." The whole first film WAS a western, and I know the Marvel Comics run had several western-type (even on desert planets) storylines. Whatever.

Many lines from films were used again, the name "Annie" as short for the shopkeeper Annillen was obviously meant to make Obi-Wan uncomfortable. How Obi-Wan ended up with using his last name (while hiding from those who'd know the fame of it) was a great plot detail. Loved all the Sand People mythology and backstory, especially A'Yark's and Hett's histories; the punishment for Orrin was ironic and appropriate. I was glad the "break up" involving Obi-Wan wasn't as painful as I expected, even though it was tough.

The preview for the Razor's Edge book sounds very interesting, in the time period of ANH-to-ESB.

I had bought the 4th in the "Origami Yoda" series, The Surprise Attack of Jabba the Puppett but hadn't read it yet. I think it's the best so far in the run, but if you're a student or teacher not in love with standardized tests and the drive to "succeed" at them, it may be too close to reality. Quite the commentary on the education system, with many SW references to call it the "young adult" category. I smiled a few times, even needed to read some passages aloud; I wonder how long it will go on as a series. Loved the expanding cast of SW character finger puppets.

I take exception with Miller's comment in the Acknowledgements, "I began developing the story that is Kenobi in 2006, when... my editor at Dark Horse, challenged me to write something that hadn't been done as yet: Star Wars as a western." The whole first film WAS a western, and I know the Marvel Comics run had several western-type (even on desert planets) storylines. Whatever.
    I'm going to de-spoilerfy that because it's not a spoiler at all, it's the premise of the book and they said as much in the panel for it. Anyway, this was a different kind of western, more spaghetti western than American western, the drifter in town who is more than he seems, the other characters' views of this stranger and how he affects their lives, that sort of thing, so while I can't speak for the Marvel Comics run, in terms of films and other novels and the comics I've read, this was a new premise. That said, I haven't read it yet, I'm waaaaay behind on picking up books.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I'm going to de-spoilerfy that because it's not a spoiler at all, it's the premise of the book and they said as much in the panel for it. Anyway, this was a different kind of western, more spaghetti western than American western, the drifter in town who is more than he seems, the other characters' views of this stranger and how he affects their lives, that sort of thing, so while I can't speak for the Marvel Comics run, in terms of films and other novels and the comics I've read, this was a new premise. That said, I haven't read it yet, I'm waaaaay behind on picking up books.
    When I first read the synopsis on Amazon, my first reaction was, oh, it's like Hondo, the John Wayne movie.

The same Vader & Son author has a story book this time, Jedi Academy. I like how it's not fully in the SW universe (song "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" is parodied, school lockers have actual combination locks to hold actual books or pens, algebra is a subject, some characters have neck ties and headbands, there's a student council election with drawn posters, etc.), but Yoda is "only" 700 years old (and sure loves him some soup, he does, hmm?). It's a nice fish-out-of-water adolescent story, with a Luke-type protagonist (from Tatooine! ). I could see a series here, but I don't think I'd buy them all.

JediTricks, I'm actually surprised to learn of you reading SW books.

That misconception being corrected:

Taking into account

1) the continuity

2) only the good books

What are your views on

a) figures from the good books (for me this mainly concerns NJO and some of the Jedi Apprentice Scholastic books), and Jedi Academy, Young Jedi Knights)?

b) the continuity being referenced or carried over into Episodes 7 and there on by way of characters like Ben Skywalker, and Jaina and Alanah Solo?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.