Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast
    Read on another website that Shakespearean treatments for Empire and Jedi are coming out next year. I really enjoyed ANH version and highly recommend it.

A little OT, but I received my copy of Making of Return of the Jedi. Just read the photo captions mostly, but it's great. Tons of previously unpublished pix.

Quote Originally Posted by OC47151 View Post
    Read on another website that Shakespearean treatments for Empire and Jedi are coming out next year. I really enjoyed ANH version and highly recommend it.

A little OT, but I received my copy of Making of Return of the Jedi. Just read the photo captions mostly, but it's great. Tons of previously unpublished pix.
    I got a sense that'd be at least a trilogy of books, if not both of them.

I am hoping for a coupon, to try and save some of the $50+ cover price.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

I read the Shadow of Yavin collection. I'm confused. Nowhere does it say it's an alternate universe, but this simply does not fit in with existing EU. It's not especially great--felt like reading a Rogue Squadron collection, right down to the "We've done this before when Stackpole wrote it" aspect. But it wasn't bad. I don't mind splinter timelines, but I like to know if that's what they are, or if this is supposed to run roughshod, Clone Wars-style, over the previous EU.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I got a sense that'd be at least a trilogy of books, if not both of them.

I am hoping for a coupon, to try and save some of the $50+ cover price.
    Both Amazon and Books a Million had it for $51 on their websites, with free shipping. In the BAM actual store, it was $65.

I ordered it (with a gift card; sweet! ) today.

Some other upcoming books (plus some I still haven't picked up/read yet)...

5/27/14 Crucible by Troy Denning (paperback)
    4/1/14 Into the Void by Tim Lebbon (paperback)
    3/18/14 Star Wars Storyboards: The Original Trilogy by J. W. Rinzler (harcover)
    3/4/14 Honor Among Thieves by James S.A. Corey (hardcover)
    1/21/14 Lockdown: Maul by Joe Schrieber (hardcover)
    11/26/13 Scoundrels by Timothy Zahn (paperback)
    11/5/13 Death Star Owner’s Technical Manual by Ryder Windham (hardcover)
    10/31/13 The Star Wars Heresies by Paul F. McDonald (paperback)
    10/29/13 The Old Republic: Annihilation by Drew Karpyshyn (paperback)
    10/22/13 Ewoks: Shadows of Endor by Dave Marshall (Editor), Zack Giallongo (Artist)
    10/8/13 Star Wars Art: Concept (hardcover)
    9/24/13 Razor’s Edge by Martha Wells (hardcover)
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Shadows of Endor came in the mail today. I haven't read it, but thumbed through a bit. The art is awesome. I plan to read it tonight; it looks like it should be a quick read.

It looks like Charal, or someone who looks a lot like her, is in it!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Pretty good read; a little short, but it is what it is. It's set after the cartoon, and before the Ewok movies, which apparently have been bumped a little closer to ROTJ than I thought. (I guess, given Wicket's age, that makes sense.) Still, this means there was a full Imperial presence on Endor during the time Cindel's family spent on Endor, which had to fit into less than eight months.

Some explanation given for why the Duloks weren't seen in ROTJ, and why Logray didn't have such amazing powers as he exhibited during the cartoon. Oh, and Chukha-Trok!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I ordered and received that Ewoks story; have yet to read it.

I read the latest EU novel, Razor's Edge: Empire and Rebellion by Martha Wells, who is apparently a popular SF writer. Sadly, her entrance into the SW universe was flat. It's set while the Rebels are looking for a place to build their base (Echo Base), and Leia, Han, and Luke get caught up in some pirates and gangster types. Yawn. No surprises in the plot, dull characters. Only good part was Leia was the lead character for a change (with lots of guilt over Alderaan). And not even 250 pages, too (for a hardcover?).

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I ordered and received that Ewoks story; have yet to read it.

I read the latest EU novel, Razor's Edge: Empire and Rebellion by Martha Wells, who is apparently a popular SF writer. Sadly, her entrance into the SW universe was flat. It's set while the Rebels are looking for a place to build their base (Echo Base), and Leia, Han, and Luke get caught up in some pirates and gangster types. Yawn. No surprises in the plot, dull characters. Only good part was Leia was the lead character for a change (with lots of guilt over Alderaan). And not even 250 pages, too (for a hardcover?).
    I've been going back and forth about picking this one up, and your review, Bel-Cam, doesn't help! I've been picking up more and more hardcovers if the price is right. Price wise, this one is right on the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by OC47151 View Post
    I've been going back and forth about picking this one up, and your review, Bel-Cam, doesn't help! I've been picking up more and more hardcovers if the price is right. Price wise, this one is right on the edge.
    On the razor's edge? I'd wait for the paperback. Maybe the second book (due out next year), E & R: Honor Among Thieves, will be better.

I liked the Ewoks: Shadows of Endor story; especially the short epilogue. Nice, quick read; reminded me of an anime.