Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast
    Okay, list time (LISTS... :drool: ). Here are the EU authors who I feel "get" Star Wars (* = relatively new to EU):
    - Zahn
    - Allston
    - Anderson (both)
    - Watson
    - Denning
    - Traviss (I know many may disagree)
    - Luceno
    - Rinzler
    - Windham
    - Daley
    - Golden *
    - Karpyshyn
    - Kemp *
    - Reaves
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

What about Miller, Crispin, Stackpole, and Ostrader?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I always felt Stackpole was too military for SW, Crispin's Armor Wars series was more fantasy to me than space fantasy, and which Miller do you mean (I think there've been a couple: Karen had a couple decent CW books, I'm still on the fence about John Jackson so far, and Rusty only wrote a trivia book)? Ostrander only did comics IIRC, and I was considering novelists.

As always, just my opinions...
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

John Jackson Miller. He transitioned from comics to novels quite well.

It's a reverse of how they usually employ authors' talents.

I liked Stackpole's military approach, but that's just a taste-preference. His comics for X-Wing Rogue Squadron were great too.

(He wrote a lot about Tycho of course)

Armor Wars? Was that Star Wars? A.C. Crispin did the Young Han Solo Trilogy (Paradise Snare - Rebel Dawn). Some of the best SW I've ever read.

Really showed how Han became self-reliant and how he was finally able to accept Chewbacca's help. They really lived a tough life before the Rebel Alliance, and I wouldn't call getting carbon-frozen an improvement.

Not that you'd argue, but Han Solo was always one of the best characters in Star Wars.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Armor Wars? Was that Star Wars? A.C. Crispin did the Young Han Solo Trilogy (Paradise Snare - Rebel Dawn). Some of the best SW I've ever read.

Really showed how Han became self-reliant and how he was finally able to accept Chewbacca's help. They really lived a tough life before the Rebel Alliance, and I wouldn't call getting carbon-frozen an improvement.

Not that you'd argue, but Han Solo was always one of the best characters in Star Wars.
    Oops! Got my acronym-ed authors mixed up; that was the Bounty Hunter Wars by K. W. Jeter. I not only agree with you about the Han Solo Trilogy being one of the best SW series, I owe a BSLOS for my error:

"It was a night like this forty million years ago
    I lit a cigarette, picked up a monkey, start to go
    The sun was spitting fire, the sky was blue as ice
    I felt a little tired, so I watched Miami Vice"

Here's the big news today.

http://starwars.com/news/the-legenda...-new-page.html

For over 35 years, the Expanded Universe has enriched the Star Wars experience for fans seeking to continue the adventure beyond what is seen on the screen. When he created Star Wars, George Lucas built a universe that sparked the imagination, and inspired others to create. He opened up that universe to be a creative space for other people to tell their own tales. This became the Expanded Universe, or EU, of comics, novels, videogames, and more.While Lucasfilm always strived to keep the stories created for the EU consistent with our film and television content as well as internally consistent, Lucas always made it clear that he was not beholden to the EU. He set the films he created as the canon. This includes the six Star Wars episodes, and the many hours of content he developed and produced in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. These stories are the immovable objects of Star Wars history, the characters and events to which all other tales must align.
    Now, with an exciting future filled with new cinematic installments of Star Wars, all aspects ofStar Wars storytelling moving forward will be connected. Under Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy's direction, the company for the first time ever has formed a story group to oversee and coordinate all Star Wars creative development.
    "We have an unprecedented slate of new Star Wars entertainment on the horizon," said Kennedy. "We're set to bring Star Wars back to the big screen, and continue the adventure through games, books, comics, and new formats that are just emerging. This future of interconnected storytelling will allow fans to explore this galaxy in deeper ways than ever before."
    In order to give maximum creative freedom to the filmmakers and also preserve an element of surprise and discovery for the audience, Star Wars Episodes VII-IX will not tell the same story told in the post-Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe. While the universe that readers knew is changing, it is not being discarded. Creators of new Star Wars entertainment have full access to the rich content of the Expanded Universe. For example, elements of the EU are included in Star Wars Rebels. The Inquisitor, the Imperial Security Bureau, and Sienar Fleet Systems are story elements in the new animated series, and all these ideas find their origins in roleplaying game material published in the 1980s.
    Demand for past tales of the Expanded Universe will keep them in print, presented under the new Legends banner.
    On the screen, the first new canon to appear will be Star Wars Rebels. In print, the first new books to come from this creative collaboration include novels from Del Rey Books. First to be announced, John Jackson Miller is writing a novel that precedes the events of Star Wars Rebels and offers insight into a key character's backstory, with input directly from executive producers Dave Filoni, Simon Kinberg, and Greg Weisman.
    And this is just the beginning of a creatively aligned program of Star Wars storytelling created by the collaboration of incredibly talented people united by their love of that galaxy far, far away....
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Quote Originally Posted by DarthQuack View Post
    I posted my thoughts on the article on the homepage, but basically I'm glad and this seems like the best way to go about it. The FB comments various places show the EU fans freaking out – just like the last several times this was hinted at...
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I read that release and it made my head hurt. It could've been better written, IMO.

Two immediate thoughts: 1) Disney realized they ****ed off the core SW audience when EU debate started months ago and 2) the staff realized there's a plethora of material that could be mined in the new movies and the stand-alones and can't completely turn their backs on it.

There's mention of Miller's Rebels book (and a pix, too!) but no release date.

Quote Originally Posted by OC47151 View Post
    I read that release and it made my head hurt. It could've been better written, IMO.

Two immediate thoughts: 1) Disney realized they ****ed off the core SW audience when EU debate started months ago and 2) the staff realized there's a plethora of material that could be mined in the new movies and the stand-alones and can't completely turn their backs on it.

There's mention of Miller's Rebels book (and a pix, too!) but no release date.
    Eh, this really doesn't seem like a changing of the course. This is essentially the exact approach they took on The Clone Wars, so it shouldn't be a surprise that they're doing it for the new films.

The second article I posted (based on the second article SW.com posted) includes release dates and cover photos for all four announced books:
    A New Dawn by John Jackson Miller: September 2
    Tarkin by James Luceno: November 4
    Heir to the Jedi by Kevin Hearne: January 2015
    Lords of the Sith by Paul Kemp: March 2015

Kemp mentioned that his book takes place sometime between ROTS and Rebels and would include a character from The Clone Wars, so it really does seem that they're trying to make things fit better going forward.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

OK, speculation about E7 has moved around the issue of how Lucas wanted to show Luke trained his own son.

1) We see Qui-Gon train Obi-Wan the right way.
    2) We see Obi-Wan fail Anakin's training following Palpatine's influence
    3) We see Obi-Wan and Yoda cause the Return of the Jedi with Luke's successful training
    4) We should see Luke successfully train Ben Skywalker+

a) Who is Ben's mother? Well, if he's still named Ben, and in light of her popularity as possibly the EU's all-time favorite character, Mara Jade (Skywalker). - and I only hope she is not in the movie because Timothy Zahn introduced her as a tough girl in her 20's and seeing her first on-screen appearance as "Aunt Beru" (tough girl in her 50's) is probably not the best way to handle her character. Want a live-action Mara Jade (if she is still maintained in the continuity which seems likely? A between-movie where she still is the Emperor's Hand.

b) Jaina Solo can still exits (Empress Jaina Fel) but be either off-screen or with some different percentage of screen time than Arndt wanted, and because she's an Empress - if that part of the EU is even mentioned, she is Ben's example of "what not to do." The proverbial bad cousin. [Jaina Solo also has a huge following, multiple fan clubs, and not a character Disney wants to mess with - I hope anyway]

The Tarkin book looks great if only because James Luceno is the best SW author! (Plagueis, Labrynth of Evil - and yes he's written other SW titles like Cloak of Deception, Millennium Falcon, and they rank amongst my favorites, but the first two I mentioned are his best).