Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    After a dead period with no books (what, nobody reads SW books in the summer?), I have three in my possession. Should be able to finish Last of the Jedi #8 soon, had read a couple chapters in Legacy of the Yawn: Infernal, and also picked up the young adult Rise & Fall of DV, in a special slip cover. Wonder if that means it's too rough for da youts to handle, or if it holds some deep, dark secret?

Eagerly waiting the Death Star and Republic Commando novels, plus that pop-up book and Essential Guide on the Force.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

I completely agree with what Chux said in the first post about the EU undermining the films. Even the NJO p***es me off for this reason, and I could never get into it - Palpatine and his Empire are supposed to be the ultimate evil, and yet here comes these new bastards who are basically "Empire Times Ten." And it happens over and over and over. It's like Michael Bay got a hold of it or something.

I understand that having the heroes just retire and live fulfilling lives without danger would be boring in the books, but that's what it seems is going to happen at the end of ROTJ, so that's what happened as far as I'm concerned.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Star Wars ended when the credits rolled on ROTJ. Period.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

What's the deal with the "dead zone?" From about July to October, there's very little SW stuff out there, but BAM! comes November and the pre-holiday time and there's lots of stuff, much of it expensive, too. Right now, I have Death Star, MAD About SW, Republic Commando:True Colors, SW: Pop-up Guide, SW Vault, Rebellion trade paperback, with the Essential Guide to the Force due soon. I'd love to have read some of these earlier in the year.

Well, here's some reasons why it might not be so dead, courtesy of the newest Legacy novel Fury:

- Ewoks, not cheesily featured (including an allusion to the Ewoks TV movies)
    - characters not dying just "for effect"
    - a novel that ends in a well-constructed manner
    - Lando appears, speaks, and has something happen that could change him as a character
    - new uses of ideas that don't completely change established ideas

Aaron Allston is a good writer. We need more of those in SW EU.

Okay, I'm not going to read this book anytime soon, likely ever. Spoil me on the Ewoks movie ref. (Let me guess: Teek becomes a Sith Lord and molests Ben Skywalker. That would be par for the course of late.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Okay, I'm not going to read this book anytime soon, likely ever. Spoil me on the Ewoks movie ref. (Let me guess: Teek becomes a Sith Lord and molests Ben Skywalker. That would be par for the course of late.)
    A young character Allana is watching a holovid of, quote, "an entertainment broadcast in which Ewoks spoke Basic and befriended shipwrecked little girls." Unquote. But you were very close in your guess.

I knew this wouldn't bring you back to the fold, but like a weak plot device to garner more readership, it was worth a shot.

I hope the next book mentions that Cindel retired from the incredibly stupid position of reporter that that douchenozzle who wrote the Black Fleet Trilogy decided she was in, as a result of royalties from the holo version of her tragic childhood. Sure, she got to meet the one and only Teek and left the planet with the greatest oatmeal chef in the universe, who'd make sure she never developed diabetus. But her parents and brother got gunned down within a five-minute period. That has to suck.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I hope the next book mentions that Cindel retired from the incredibly stupid position of reporter that that douchenozzle who wrote the Black Fleet Trilogy decided she was in, (rest of rant deleted )
    I did not notice that her name appeared in that awful trilogy.

Serious question, Chux: what do you think should happen to bring you back to the Expanded Universe? Is it a return to what has been done previously, or certain changes? (I'm too lazy to re-read any of the posts in this thread if you've already covered this ) I miss being able to talk spoliers and plotlines with you here, beyond agreeing with the problems and old storylines.

I'm still interested in the pre-Legacy EU. Legacy just reeks of fanboy wank to a disturbing degree. It's okay to throw a little bit in, but the whole series is nothing but it. The books maybe less than the comics; I might eventually read them. Maybe.

Unfortunately, I'm behind on my EU reading, and they're putting out far less non-Legacy stuff lately.

Cindel was revealed to be a reporter when some character in that series needed to contact a reporter. I thought it was dumb. I'd always hoped (much as I like Noa) that they'd been caught in an Imperial blockade and Noa, having been on Endor and ignorant of the goings-on for 20 years or more, was executed, while Cindel was turned over to the state, presumably to be trained for the military.
    Tommy, close your eyes.