Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    I'm sorry to hear that about Matthew Stover. I had thought he was good - pretty good.

Wow, i just found this thread, read it and have to disagree with alot of the EU bashing. I'm a huge fan of the EU because i like hearing how other fans and authors tell the story of Star Wars after or before the movies and sometimes fill in the gaps between the PT and the OT.

while everyone is entitled to their opinions (which makes this a great place to post and learn) i think people need to give the EU a second chance and remember what it was like as a kid playing with the Kenner action figures and having all new adventures for our heroes and villians.

as far as the movies go, yes they are canon since Lucas is the one who made them, but does everyone really believe that the Rebels lived happly ever after at the end of ROTJ ? i mean think about it what happens after the movie, what about the surviving Empire ? do they just disappear into the mist and lick their wounds and say well we give up the rebellion beat us, we'll play nice.

now don't get me wrong there are plenty of EU sources that had ridiculous plots (DarkSaber comes to mind....Hutts building a "Death Star" type laser to control the universe....:horrible characters (Thraken Sal Solo - just plain stupid and annoying), but for the most part these authors are sorta of kids acting out there idea as to what holds for the future of the Republic.

i have to say i just read a sneak peek of the new EU book coming in March "Outcast" and i have to say i'm looking forward to getting it and reading it. i loved the NJO and LOTF series and couldn't wait to dive into another book and continue the adventure. in fact the waiting in between the books was driving me crazy. months and months of waiting and finally grabbing the book, reading it and finishing it sometimes in a day or two and then saying, man now i have to wait 4 months for the next chapter. I think the waiting is the biggest problem with the books and possibly the worst way to maybe lose fan interest.

i mean i just started reading the Republic Commando books so that i can read them all at once and not have to wait months for the sequel. i mean i remember reading the first Darth Bane book what 2 years ago, sure i remember the book for the most part but having to wait almost another year for the sequel, now i have to re-read the first in order to really enjoy the second.

oh well, anyway i guess what i'm trying to say, now that i have rambled on and on is this, give the EU a second chance. look at it in a different light, try reading the series as a whole and perhaps you will change your prespective of the stories and might just enjoy them for what they are.........another point of view.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Yeah, Tycho, Stover's other books were good.

So, here's my list of all-time worst SW books (I made up the number of books, so don't specifically quote me about 212 of them). I'm certainly no "EU hater," but there have been some stinkers over the 30-some years of SW fiction)

BEL-CAM JOS' [BOTTOM] TEN STAR WARS EXPANDED UNIVERSE BOOKS:
    203. Galaxy of Fear #12:The Hunger
    204. Darksaber
    205. Children of the Jedi
    206. Queen of the Empire
    207. Planet of Twilight
    208. The Truce at Bakura
    209. Jedi Trial
    210. The New Rebellion
    211. Luke Skywalker & the Shadows of Mindor
    212. The Force Unleashed
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArtist View Post
    Wow, i just found this thread, read it and have to disagree with alot of the EU bashing. I'm a huge fan of the EU because i like hearing how other fans and authors tell the story of Star Wars after or before the movies and sometimes fill in the gaps between the PT and the OT.

while everyone is entitled to their opinions (which makes this a great place to post and learn) i think people need to give the EU a second chance and remember what it was like as a kid playing with the Kenner action figures and having all new adventures for our heroes and villians.

as far as the movies go, yes they are canon since Lucas is the one who made them, but does everyone really believe that the Rebels lived happly ever after at the end of ROTJ ? i mean think about it what happens after the movie, what about the surviving Empire ? do they just disappear into the mist and lick their wounds and say well we give up the rebellion beat us, we'll play nice.

now don't get me wrong there are plenty of EU sources that had ridiculous plots (DarkSaber comes to mind....Hutts building a "Death Star" type laser to control the universe....:horrible characters (Thraken Sal Solo - just plain stupid and annoying), but for the most part these authors are sorta of kids acting out there idea as to what holds for the future of the Republic.

i have to say i just read a sneak peek of the new EU book coming in March "Outcast" and i have to say i'm looking forward to getting it and reading it. i loved the NJO and LOTF series and couldn't wait to dive into another book and continue the adventure. in fact the waiting in between the books was driving me crazy. months and months of waiting and finally grabbing the book, reading it and finishing it sometimes in a day or two and then saying, man now i have to wait 4 months for the next chapter. I think the waiting is the biggest problem with the books and possibly the worst way to maybe lose fan interest.

i mean i just started reading the Republic Commando books so that i can read them all at once and not have to wait months for the sequel. i mean i remember reading the first Darth Bane book what 2 years ago, sure i remember the book for the most part but having to wait almost another year for the sequel, now i have to re-read the first in order to really enjoy the second.

oh well, anyway i guess what i'm trying to say, now that i have rambled on and on is this, give the EU a second chance. look at it in a different light, try reading the series as a whole and perhaps you will change your prespective of the stories and might just enjoy them for what they are.........another point of view.
    EU is very interesting. If you love SW than the EU is there to give you more. It gives you history and tells you how the story continues. I love it.

DarkHorse has done a good job with Legacy (which is freaken awesome) but I hate Rebellion and KOTOR (loved the game hate the comic). They need to get better writers and do some more NJO stories

I fully support what Neosapian and Dark Artist are saying about the value in continuing Star Wars in the EU.

I'm loving the EU figures as well - setting up scenes to help me see what the saga would look like were it continuing in a visual form.

I also agree (mostly) with Bel-Cam Jos' list of the worst EU books - but I wouldn't put Truce At Bakura on that list. It wasn't as bad as the others listed there.

All this being said, I have stopped reading much of the EU. It's really surprising to me, as I came to this website 13 years ago to be an advocate for the EU and write my e-zine newsletter all about the Star Wars comics and books.

But then I tried to write my own, got rejected as I wasn't a known author, and pursued the suggestion of the professionals in the industry whom I talked to, and wrote my own non-Star Wars story (another interest of mine being historical fiction).

I burned out on Star Wars a little after New Jedi Order. I collected the Dark Nest books and the Legacy of the Force ones, and got the gist of them from reading spoilers, but I haven't delved into them.

However, I am reading and enjoying Millennium Falcon. But I really like James Luceno as a Star Wars author and knew I'd like this book from the outset.

Here's an update on some upcoming books this year (I include the Madlibs and the PunchOuts just because I migth buy 'em myself)...

Star Wars Order 66 : A Republic Commando Novel [Karen Traviss] (paperback) 5/19
    Star Wars The Clone Wars No Prisoners [Karen Traviss] (paperback) 5/19
    Rebel Force #3 [Alexander S. Wheeler] (paperback) 5/1
    Star Wars : Blood Oath [Elaine Cunningham] (paperback) 4/28
    Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi Vol. 1 [Aaron Allston] (hardback) 3/24
    Star Wars: Punch Out and Play [Michael Feder, Karan Feder] (paperback?) 3/1
    Bombad Jedi [Rob Valois] (paperback) 2/5
    Grievous Attacks! [Rob Valois, Tracey West, Veronica Wasserman] (paperback) 2/5
    Star Wars Madlibs: The Clone Wars (paperback) 2/5
    Star Wars : Coruscant Nights III Patterns of Force [Michael Reaves] (paperback) 1/27

Looking forward to the FotJ series (with the writers listed, it has potential), the continuing C.Nights, and the first CW novels have been pretty good, so I hope the laters ones keep it up.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that about Matthew Stover. I had thought he was good - pretty good.
    I enjoyed Stover's style in ROTS (except for the parts that said, this is what Anakin Skywalker thought, or whatever) but I thought Shatterpoint was one of the worst SW books I've read. It was too long by about 50 - 75 pages. If it was edited and tightened up, it would've been a better book.

I'm reading The Force Unleashed right now (the library had a copy), and it's not bad. A quick read.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArtist View Post

now don't get me wrong there are plenty of EU sources that had ridiculous plots

I've almost always been an EU defender (with the exception of some of the comics series, since I've not been able to keep up with all of them like I can with books), but some of the books have been groaners, even whole series (notice I put no NJO or Legacy books on my "worst" list, but the overall storylines of each were among the carpiest in EU history, as were the Dark Nest or Black Fleet trilogies). I enjoy a "certain point of view" retelling or new perspective as the next person, but making signiifcant changes to established concepts is dangerous (and obviously alienates some long-time readers like Chux) and weakens the entire Expanded Universe IMHO.

But I can be called a hypocrite, since I still buy them all. I don't want to miss out an a plot, no matter how poorly-constructed it may be.

I think my problem right now as a reader and prospective author of non-fiction is that there's a pull between what exists, what has been ret-conned, and what is upcoming. That is going to lead to disaster eventually. Will I stop reading? Essentially I've already cut back and am not reading the stuff based off authors or plots coming out of the "new Clone Wars". I'm still trying to get why more people don't love the "original Clone Wars" that was mostly DH and a few books (notice no micro series). I'm hoping it doesn't become an academic debate on which plots will get dropped vs what will be added because the new will replace the old.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

Quote Originally Posted by pbarnard View Post
    I think my problem right now as a reader and prospective author of non-fiction is that there's a pull between what exists, what has been ret-conned, and what is upcoming. That is going to lead to disaster eventually. Will I stop reading? Essentially I've already cut back and am not reading the stuff based off authors or plots coming out of the "new Clone Wars". I'm still trying to get why more people don't love the "original Clone Wars" that was mostly DH and a few books (notice no micro series). I'm hoping it doesn't become an academic debate on which plots will get dropped vs what will be added because the new will replace the old.
    The original Clone Wars toon was some of the best animation and fight choreography I've ever seen on a screen. The new toon doesn't even compare. I've tried to watch it but I hate damaging my brain cells.