Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast
    Finished Lost Tribe last night. The final section held my attention the best: fast-paced, interesting. Too bad the rest of the book wasn't as thrilling.

Lockdown has picked up, but still doesn't feel like a Star Wars title. Maul is really quite talkative here, and it's jarring. I can't imagine him talking in anything but that cold whisper with an English accent, and a lot of what he says doesn't sound right coming from him.

Also, since I last posted, I've met a prison gang led by a Noghri, with a Nelvaanian as his right-hand man. Oh, and the Nelvaanian is a genius when it comes to machines and computers. It's really like he's simply picking races for how cool they look, and no one's editing. "Mr. Schreiber, we need to talk. You use a Yuuzhan Vong here, and a Noghri and Nelvaanian here. Well, one of them's just not known at all in the galaxy at this time, at least by anyone in any position to tell about it, and the other two are at pre-Stone Age levels of technology and not really getting out into the wider galaxy. Howsabout a nice Dug or Wookiee instead?"
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Chuxter, I agree.

OC47151: I really liked John Jackson Miller's Lost Tribe of the Sith. I stumbled a little until I realized the main characters I was reading about were all Sith save for that lone Jedi who loved a young Sith princess. That was interesting.

I'm actually planning to re-read his work if I can ever get done with reading and editing my own non-sci-fi-fantasy novels.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I'm still mad that more EU figures (and even vehicles) will not be made. PT vehicles (like the Gungan Bongo Sub) too.

Also OT big stuff, like Jabba's Sailbarge should be made - with hopefully an appearance in Rebels advancing that possibility.

I'm buying so little SW, with no plans to buy Rebels stuff, that not until Ep. 7 will I have m hobby truly back.

Good time to save money, though. I have my own start-up business' expenses.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I'm almost done with Lockdown, and, surprisingly, it's turned out to be excellent. Alien issues aside (still jars me to read about a Nelvaanian hacking computers prior to TPM), I'm impressed. It seemed hella predictable at first, but has turned out to be more full of red herrings than a Russian fishing vessel (rimshot!).
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I have a concern with recent EU books; it could be small, or it could be a harbinger of bad things to come. It could truly reflect the title of this thread, for me as a SW fiction reader. The last three books I've read, didn't really have the SW universe feel to them.

Take the one I just finished, Empire and Rebellion: Honor Among Thieves, by James SA Corey (which is the nom de plume of two collaborating writers). I give it the dreaded "okay" of much EU (although I liked the dialogue, and the various Indiana Jones references weren't too cheesy), but that could also be due to its setting in the post-ANH/pre-ESB era, where nobody major can die). There's another "super weapon" plot, where both Rebel and Imperial groups are racing to get it first. Ending was too weirdly neat for me. And I think the spy character might've been a way to Dash Rendar-ize a Mara Jade somehow.

Here's my issue: the established SW terms are seemingly being ignored, like "caf," "flimsiplast," other curse words, or animals'/creatures' names. The above novel had too many Earth idioms and colloquialisms (it used "crap," "crappy," "butt," and others I can't recall now). And the "Lucasbooks" logo is no longer on the spine, but DelRey instead. Too many seemingly-rare or hidden/secretive species get thrown in the stories just because, too. I am nervous.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I have a concern with recent EU books; it could be small, or it could be a harbinger of bad things to come. It could truly reflect the title of this thread, for me as a SW fiction reader. The last three books I've read, didn't really have the SW universe feel to them.

Take the one I just finished, Empire and Rebellion: Honor Among Thieves, by James SA Corey (which is the nom de plume of two collaborating writers). I give it the dreaded "okay" of much EU (although I liked the dialogue, and the various Indiana Jones references weren't too cheesy), but that could also be due to its setting in the post-ANH/pre-ESB era, where nobody major can die). There's another "super weapon" plot, where both Rebel and Imperial groups are racing to get it first. Ending was too weirdly neat for me. And I think the spy character might've been a way to Dash Rendar-ize a Mara Jade somehow.

Here's my issue: the established SW terms are seemingly being ignored, like "caf," "flimsiplast," other curse words, or animals'/creatures' names. The above novel had too many Earth idioms and colloquialisms (it used "crap," "crappy," "butt," and others I can't recall now). And the "Lucasbooks" logo is no longer on the spine, but DelRey instead. Too many seemingly-rare or hidden/secretive species get thrown in the stories just because, too. I am nervous.
    It may have been fixed since the ARC I read, but one thing that jumped out was a reference to "three-eyed Kinyenians." I actually looked at Wookieepedia to see if I was mistaken, or if that was just totally wrong. Crazy thing is, a separate member of the species was correctly called a Gran later.

The bounty hunter character (shows how memorable the book was) I was picturing as a sort of lizard man, based on his description as a near-human. But when it was clear he was joining for good (until the obvious happened; sorry for the spoilers, but it was really obvious), I looked up his species and nearly pooped my pants to learn it was the same as Luminara and Barriss. Um, weren't they all sort of mystics who didn't get into smuggling and bounty hunting?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Again, not to spoilerize, since it wasn't a major plot device, a Noghri showed up. Yes, a Noghri. Trying to buy fake ID codes or something. Other species that appeared, just to make it a multicultural universe: Neimoidians, Gran, Wookiees (well, just one; and BTW, this might possibly have been the best Chewbacca story in EU's history, I'll give it that much), the above-mentioned Mirialan, Bothans, Trandoshians (who speak Basic), Twi'leks, Hutts (just mentioned one vile intergalactic gangsta), Phindians (now, this one made sense), Bith (no way! as musicians?), one Mon Cal (it's a trap! ), sarlaac (as Han's punishment, that apparently everyone knows will happen someday). Oh, and a LOM model droid with rusted plates.

When you bring in "new" SW authors, they usually don't have the feel of EU established motifs, I get it. But to be THIS off? That could come down to less-effective editing, something I don't think I've EVER mentioned in my 20+ years of following Star Wars fiction.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Here's my take, Bel-Cam: You have your Timothy Zahn, the late Aaron Allston, etc... who've fully embraced the SW universe (and fandom for that matter) and create quality material. Then you have other writers who are doing it for the paycheck, and their comfort level with the SW universe shows in the material.

I recognized that years ago with the X-Files novels. You could tell the writer had probably never watched a single ep of the show, but given the opportunity to write an X-Files story, they jumped at the chance.

I forgot all about the Noghri in that book, but she stood out like a sore thumb. This is at a time all Noghri who are off-world should be personal agents of Darth Vader, who's keeping them artificially in a primitive state. She talked like a typical backworld street criminal, not an honor-bound servant of Vader. Worse, IIRC, Han recognized her species immediately; some seven years or so later, why were they such a mystery to him? Also, throwing one into any area where she could recognize Leia's scent is problematic.

The only thing that kept Lockdown from being surprisingly close to perfect were the sheer number of "these aliens should not be here, period, end of story" species. The Noghri and Nelvaanian are problematic enough, but at least they're from the known galaxy. Toss in a Chiss who certainly isn't following his species' strict laws and a Yuuzhan Vong (particularly when Maul can recognize his weapon as being called an amphistaff), and all bets are off.
    Tommy, close your eyes.