Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940 LastLast
    This thought hit me the other day.

At Celebration 6, at the Del-Rey authors panel, several future books were revealed. Scoundrels and Razor's Edge were among them. But the one series that got everyone excited was the proposed Sword of the Jedi, feature Jaina in a post-Fate of the Jedi world. Artwork on the proposed hardback was revealed.

With the EU announcement, I realized we hadn't heard anything about Sword. And guess what? We won't.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sword..._Jedi_(trilogy)

That's too bad. I was looking forward to it.

I've been wracking my brain, trying to remember what other books were announced. I do remember that Tarkin wasn't mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by OC47151 View Post
    This thought hit me the other day.

At Celebration 6, at the Del-Rey authors panel, several future books were revealed. Scoundrels and Razor's Edge were among them. But the one series that got everyone excited was the proposed Sword of the Jedi, feature Jaina in a post-Fate of the Jedi world. Artwork on the proposed hardback was revealed.

With the EU announcement, I realized we hadn't heard anything about Sword. And guess what? We won't.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sword..._Jedi_(trilogy)

That's too bad. I was looking forward to it.

I've been wracking my brain, trying to remember what other books were announced. I do remember that Tarkin wasn't mentioned.
    Almost every single thing that Lucasfilm announced at Celebration VI has been cancelled or "postponed": 3D AOTC, 3D ROTS, The Clone Wars, Star Wars Detours, Star Wars 1313, Dark Horse comics, even Hasbro's revived Droid Factory line. The Disney deal was signed only two months later, so it makes sense that things in development would get shifted, but the fact that everything got cancelled does sting a little.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

That's why I do not see this Disney purchase as just a transition in the Star Wars "everything," but as another entity entirely.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

I am going to be very upset if I cannot even somehow fudge the timeline a little and be able to accept the EU that we all grew up with.

Let me explain the "EU people (like myself) whining" to others that do not understand.

Many of us are sick of the old movies (almost all 6 of them - I have some tolerance for AOTC and ROTS still).

But I can't sit through them any longer. I know them by heart (and do love them) but just need new ideas, new material.

The EU supplied that and coordinated it so that it made sense.

Did you know Luke had a Gamorrean wife named Bubba who gave birth to a Jedi Kwowakiyan Lizard Monkey needed BeeBee?

That never happened. The reason is that because in another book, Luke had a hottie for a wife named Mara, who gave birth to a son named Ben.

If that guy Arndt was fired for trying to preserve my EU, then the rest of us ought to find out if he has a retirement fund and kick in a little for trying to look out for ours (and Jaina and Jacen's ) interest.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I had The Jedi Path, by Daniel Wallace, somewhat hidden on a shelf; finally got to it. It's kind of like Harry Potter's book, where he read what others had written in it; but this has various Padawans commenting on the pages (Qui-Gon, Yoda, Dooku, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, Luke, and some other older character I don't remember). Decent, but definitely more for a YA audience.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Time for another upcoming books list (LISTS... :drool: )

1/13/15 Heir to the Jedi: Star Wars (Kevin Hearne) hardcover
    11/4/14 Tarkin (James Luceno) hardcover
    10/28/14 Razor’s Edge: Empire & Rebellion (Martha Wells) paperback
    10/28/14 Star Wars Costumes (Brandon Alinger, Aggie Rodgers [Introduction], John Molland [Introduction]) hardcover
    10/28/14 Star Wars Volume 4: A Shattered Hope (Brian Wood, Carlos D'Anda [Illustrator]); last Dark Horse SW comic series [ironic title ]
    10/14/14 Star Wars Art: Posters (Drew Struzan [Foreword], Roger Kastel [Introduction])
    10/7/14 Star Wars The Adventures of Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight (Tony DiTerlizzi, Ralph McQuarrie [Illustrator])
    9/30/14 How Star Wars Conquered the Universe: The Past, Present, and Future of a Multibillion Dollar Franchise (Chris Taylor) hardcover
    9/2/14 A New Dawn: Star Wars (John Jackson Miller, Dave Filoni [Foreword]) hardcover
    9/2/14 Star Wars: Lords of the Sith (Paul S. Kemp) hardcover
    8/18/14 Star Wars in 100 Scenes (Jason Fry) hardcover
    8/5/14 Star Wars Rebels: A New Hero [Purchase Includes Star Wars eBook!] (Rebels Animation Team [Illustrator])
    8/5/14 [3 other children’s SW: Rebels books]
    7/29/14 Kenobi (John Jackson Miller) paperback
    7/29/14 Star Wars: Jedi Academy: Return of the Padawan [Book 2] (Jeffrey Brown) hardcover
    7/1/14 Crucible (Troy Denning) paperback

Looking forward to the SW: Costumes, Jedi Academy, McQuarrie-illustrated ANH, and Tarkin books; a maybe for 100 Scenes and Lords of the Sith; with a hesitiancy for Heir to the Jedi and A New Dawn books. Rebels? Eh.

The latest issue of Star Wars Insider noted that the two-part Blade Squadron short story, which started in issue #149, is part of the new canon. The short stories in the magazine will also be part of the canon going forward. I haven't read either part but I have them both so I'll have to check them out.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

You know, if Clone Wars count as cannon, then all the EU stuff that created Dathomir and the Nightsisters from the Del Rey novel like Courtship of Princess Leia, to Tenel Ka being Allanah Solo's mother, all have some reference to them now incorporated in cannon.

Meanwhile, Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir continues to really impress.

As a reader, comics are easier for me right now as I have now also become a novel writer and read a lot of non-fiction for my research to make my own fiction more real - and I have commitments to read the novel fiction of other authors whom I've befriended and they do not writer for Star Wars.

That being said, I am re-reading the EU in chronological order and restarted that once more, so I'm re-reading the past parts to CrossCurrent, a SW novel.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    The latest issue of Star Wars Insider noted that the two-part Blade Squadron short story, which started in issue #149, is part of the new canon. The short stories in the magazine will also be part of the canon going forward. I haven't read either part but I have them both so I'll have to check them out.
    I picked up the Insider last weekend for the sole purpose of this short story. It was okay, although I think I could write a better story myself if I sat down and did it. It didn't have some of the usual SW jargon we're used to: coffee was coffee, not caf.

I'll pick up number 150 for the continuation.

In the past, one of my favorite things about the Insider was the original short stories. They stopped for a while, and when money got tight for me, I didn't renew my subscription. I'd like to go back and get some of the better short stories. The comic shop has some of the older Insiders for sale. Just have to wait for a good sale to get a few.

Quote Originally Posted by the Bel-Cam Jos from March of 2014 View Post
    I have a concern with recent EU books; it could be small, or it could be a harbinger of bad things to come. It could truly reflect the title of this thread, for me as a SW fiction reader. The last three books I've read, didn't really have the SW universe feel to them.

Here's my issue: the established SW terms are seemingly being ignored, like "caf," "flimsiplast," other curse words, or animals'/creatures' names. The above novel had too many Earth idioms and colloquialisms (it used "crap," "crappy," "butt," and others I can't recall now). And the "Lucasbooks" logo is no longer on the spine, but DelRey instead. Too many seemingly-rare or hidden/secretive species get thrown in the stories just because, too. I am nervous.
    I had the same concerns a time ago, OC.