Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rockstar

Rockstar

I thought there was a thread on this already (maybe it was at swc)...

Anyone watch the premiere?

So far, so good, IMO. Overall, there seems to be a better crop of singers this year. The few stinkers will hopefully be gone pretty quickly (and probably shouldn't have been on to begin with).

Based on the first episode, I liked:

Dana ("I'm the Only One") - hopefuly she sticks around for a while. Great voice with lots of potential - and she's pretty hot.

Dilana ("Lithium") - The best hard rock chick on the show. Wasn't too crazy about her wild chicken dancing she was doing though.

Lukas ("Rebel Yell") - With his look, I expected some lame @ss emo-esque performance, and I have never liked that song, but the guy just rocked Billy Idol!

Toby ("Knockin' On Heaven's Door") - With such an awesome acoustic version (which was probably a bad way to start a show called ROCKSTAR), I can't wait to see him rock out.

Jenny ("How You Remind Me") - Great voice and great version of a terrible song. Can't see her winning though. Not sure she'd fit in a true rock band.

Josh ("She Talks To Angels") - Again, not sure how well he'd fit in, but he was damn good.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy
    I thought there was a thread on this already (maybe it was at swc)...
    I think its called Rockstar Season II here at SSG.

I caught the last five minutes or so ("Rebel Yell" and a godawful take on "Roxanne"). I knew of Gilby Clarke (one of the most underrated guys in rock music, IMHO), Jason Newsted, and Tommy Lee. It looks like Dave Navarro is in the mix, too, along with some other guy I couldn't place. Are they in the band, too? If Gilby, Jason, Tommy, and Dave were to record an album, it could have freaking Tiny Tim on lead vocals and I'd be first in line to get a copy.

I'll never understand when "background" guys who are quite capable of singing pick lead singers to overshadow them. Gilby's a fine singer. If you don't have Pawnshop Guitars, find a used copy NOW. And pick up Izzy Stradlin's 117, too, which is even better.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Dave Navarro is not in the band, He's the other Host.
    As for that other guy, he was a producer. I think he's the new group's producer.
    DOMINATE!

the version of roxanne seems to have gotten quite a bit of flak and from the panel on the show too. while it isn't a song i would want to pick personally since it's so hard to pull off, i think the guy should've been given bonus points at least for not attempting a straight up cover and butchering the song in the process. i mean, if you're gonna butcher, at least do it on your own terms right?

Eddie Murphy already covered Roxanne.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

After such a strong premiere episode, last night was really weak.
    There were only 2 good performances, IMO.

And they really need to get a larger selection of songs - Coldplay, Nirvana, and the Rolling Stones again?
    Also, it's called ROCKstar, why give them Creed to sing? It's not Popstar.
    DOMINATE!

I gave up after the first few performances.

The one stupid talentless girl who ruined "You Really Got Me"; who claimed to have never heard a record by Metallica, GNR, Motley Crue (or, by extension, Flotsam & Jetsam, Slash's Snakepit, Gilby Clarke, Methods of Mayhem, or any of the other dozen names Tommy Lee's released solo albums under) because she was "in diapers" (meaning she'd be around 10 years old)?

Yeah, she needs to win. . . a swift kick in the arse.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

i'm giving up on the show too. Rocketboy, i believe the contestants pick their own songs. otherwise it was pretty cruel for the supernova guys to pick duran duran's "planet earth" for the guy that got eliminated and then lambast him for his song choices.

i think they've already made up their mind that the Lithium girl with the sith eyes will win.

Too bad. Last night was the first time I was glad both Johnny and June were dead. They didn't have to hear her destroy "Ring of Fire."
    Tommy, close your eyes.