Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40
  1. #1

    Hasbro's stock falls; 2006 sales decline; major investor sells all its shares

    We could have told them so.

    Instead they had to produce those custom choppers and pay for tooling on those.

    Obi-Wan and Anakin are 1 per case, as are Han and Luke - but the racks look like solid cases of Lushros Dofine shipped.

    Hound and Smokescreen Alternators were repainted again using the ugliest colors Hasbro could find and really silly decale work (Rollbar's not that bad when you match him up to California beach lifeguard vehicles - but who wanted him anyway?)

    Zizzle got the huge Pirates of the Carribean license which is turning out to be THE movie of the summer.

    It looks like Hasbro fell asleep at the wheel after the success of ROTS blew everyone away with record profits last year.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

  2. #2
    the team in charge of POTC is comprised of former Kenner and Hasbro people. Read this article:

    http://www.theithacajournal.com/apps...607110321/1046

    When you let visionaries go (like the guy who signed SW in the first place), you are bound to get screwed. But remember, never underestimate the power of having movie support. If Transformers is a hit, now would be a good time to buy Hasbro stock.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

  3. #3
    Haha. I remember Jennifer Donahoe - she used to answer Star Wars Q&A's.

    I don't know if you can make a ton of toy company stock period, but Hasbro sure kicked butt in 2005 (though not like the oil / energy companies).
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

  4. #4
    I think the Zizzle success is pretty much a combination of timing and luck. I remember when Toy Biz got the license to Batman in '89 and hit it big. So big that Kenner had to pony up to buy the license in '91 before Batman Returns came out with their "improved" Dark Knight collection. Nowadays, movie merchandise is pretty trendy. I also remember when Trendmasters struck out with licenses to Godzilla and Lost in Space. As predicted, Star Wars has cooled off since Sith because kids want something fresh and Star Wars is out. As for the core of loyal Star Wars collectors, Hasbro continues to alienate them with neverending re-hashed repaints, Choppers, and overpriced and impossible to find exclusives and stupid promotions (UGH) that are facilitating the decline and interest of the line. I was not surprised in the slightest when I read about their losses and investor pullout. If I owned stock in Hasbro, I'd dump it too.

    I met Jen at the first Star Wars Celebration in Denver. I always wondered what happened to her after Andy took over from her. She had such a nice smile and a great personality. I'm glad to see she has found success in her career. She earned it.

  5. #5

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by decadentdave
    As for the core of loyal Star Wars collectors, Hasbro continues to alienate them with neverending re-hashed repaints, Choppers, and overpriced and impossible to find exclusives and stupid promotions (UGH) that are facilitating the decline and interest of the line.
    I'm one of the "core of loyal Star Wars collectors," and I don't feel alienated in the slightest way. Of said core, completists are a niche within a niche.

    "re-hashed repaints" - For every collector that whines about being "forced" to buy a rehash, there are just as many, if not more collectors who have no problem with core characters being re-released. If it keeps new collectors, kids, and casual fans happy, then I'm all for rehashes.

    Choppers - If completist collectors feel forced to buy these, then completist collectors are idiots.

    "overpriced and impossible to find exclusives" - The market sets the price. If you think Target exclusives are too expensive at $12 a pop, then vote with your dollars (i.e. don't buy them). Seeing as how Target exclusive clones sold out almost immediately, I'd say Target could have and maybe even should have charged more. And how are Target's or TRU's inflated prices Hasbro's fault?

    "stupid promotions (UGH)" - Again, if the completist collector feels an overwhelming need to have every single one of a bunch of little blue, red, and "pewter" chess pieces, then said completist collector needs to lighten up.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmcfripp
    I'm one of the "core of loyal Star Wars collectors," and I don't feel alienated in the slightest way. Of said core, completists are a niche within a niche.

    "re-hashed repaints" - For every collector that whines about being "forced" to buy a rehash, there are just as many, if not more collectors who have no problem with core characters being re-released. If it keeps new collectors, kids, and casual fans happy, then I'm all for rehashes.

    Choppers - If completist collectors feel forced to buy these, then completist collectors are idiots.

    "overpriced and impossible to find exclusives" - The market sets the price. If you think Target exclusives are too expensive at $12 a pop, then vote with your dollars (i.e. don't buy them). Seeing as how Target exclusive clones sold out almost immediately, I'd say Target could have and maybe even should have charged more. And how are Target's or TRU's inflated prices Hasbro's fault?

    "stupid promotions (UGH)" - Again, if the completist collector feels an overwhelming need to have every single one of a bunch of little blue, red, and "pewter" chess pieces, then said completist collector needs to lighten up.
    Yeah, that's why Demise of Grievous is warming the pegs at Target and Choppers, Unleashed Battle Packs, VTSC and Saga figures are overflowing at all of the Walmarts in my city. I rest my case.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmcfripp
    Choppers - If completist collectors feel forced to buy these, then completist collectors are idiots.
    I happen to agree with your assessment of the idiotic nature of a collector (generally speaking, of course) who feels forced to buy the.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by decadentdave
    Yeah, that's why Demise of Grievous is warming the pegs at Target and Choppers, Unleashed Battle Packs, VTSC and Saga figures are overflowing at all of the Walmarts in my city. I rest my case.
    I didn't want it, but just FYI, it seemed my Target never got the Demise of Grievous figure. I've never seen it in person. But like I said, I've never tried to find it and I haven't been toy hunting for nearly a month. After I got 8 Hem Dazons, that was it.

    I only have plans to buy 3 Chirpas, probably 3 Jerjerrods (or 2), and the Transformer Alternator Mirage - when I get around to looking for them.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by decadentdave
    Yeah, that's why Demise of Grievous is warming the pegs at Target and Choppers, Unleashed Battle Packs, VTSC and Saga figures are overflowing at all of the Walmarts in my city. I rest my case.
    Rest your case? Well, un-rest it, because I'm confused by your response. Your argument originally was:

    As for the core of loyal Star Wars collectors, Hasbro continues to alienate them with neverending re-hashed repaints, Choppers, and overpriced and impossible to find exclusives and stupid promotions (UGH) that are facilitating the decline and interest of the line.

    So you believe Demise of Grievous is warming pegs because collectors feel alienated by the idea of such an exclusive? I think it's peg warming because it's just not that cool of a figure, not because a segment of the collecting community decided to boycott it. I think completists and those few who thought it was a decent figure bought one, and the rest of us didn't. If everyone who wanted one got one, and everyone who didn't saved $13, who's alienated in this situation? Now if Hasbro decided to make some really important, definitive version of a core character (like a VOTC style Jedi Luke or something) a limited, hard to find exclusive, then yeah, collectors would be up in arms and threaten to "quit" collecting. But in my opinion, Hasbro's exclusives have been perfect, being just unique enough to pique the interest of completists, but just bland and rehashy enough not to offend the more causal collectors (like me). Again, who is Hasbro alienating?

    And how does piling up of Choppers, VTSC, Saga figures, and Unleashed Battle packs prove that collectors feel alienated?

    - VTSC sold fairly well in the beginning, but I think they were just over produced (or over-ordered). I think Hasbro also made a mistake with only having one assortment at an even ratio. After all the Stormtrooper Lucas hunters got their fill, who was left to buy all the extra Greedos, Hans, and Lukes? Nobody, because mom and dad aren't going to buy an $11 Han when there's a $6 Han on the peg next to it. The original VOTC worked better because it had multiple waves and assortments over a longer period of time. But do you really think they're warming pegs because collectors feel alienated by something or other (which I'm hoping you'll explain) and are deliberately not buying them? Come on. "We" all love VOTC and VTCS style figures. Problem is there just aren't that many of "us."

    - People need to stop whining about Saga figures "piling up." Stuff isn't sitting around any more or less than it ever has over the last 10 years. In other words, it feels like any other non-movie year, only stuff seems to be a litter better distributed with only a few peg warming characters.

    - Unleashed Battle Packs are another example of making a niche market out of a niche market out of a niche market. Star Wars collectors are a very small group of folks. A portion of us only collect Hasbro stuff. Only a portion of that portion collected Unleashed. And now, Unleashed Battle packs cater to only a portion of that portion, maybe picking up a few folks who didn't like the big Unleashed figures, but like these little guys. If Unleashed battle packs aren't selling, it's not because collectors are boycotting them, it's because there just aren't enough people in an already tiny market to absorb them. If they were cooler (maybe had some vehicles and playsets), more 3 3/4 inch collectors like myself would buy them, but they aren't, so I pay them no mind. I still collect 3 3/4 just as much, if not more than I ever did. Maybe the introduction of the little Unleashed figures alienated a few big Unleashed fans, but I'd have to think that there aren't many of you out there.

    - Choppers. Lay off it folks, Hasbro thought kids would like them. They seem to sell ok, not great, but they don't pile quite as badly as people around here want you to believe. They're for kids, so if they don't sell, it's because kids didn't want them, not because collectors boycotted as a result of some feeling of alienation. And no, choppers aren't taking up shelf space that could have gone to a Cloud Car or a 3 3/4 inch Turbo Tank.

    Collectors will start feeling alienated if and when the quality of the 3 3/4 inch products start declining. As long as the actual figures themselves are good (which they are now, for the most part), then we'll always find a reason to fork over a few bucks every month to support a collecting habit. If they start cutting corners in terms of design and execution, that's when we start jumping ship.

    As far as Star Wars under-performing profit-wise for Hasbro, I dunno what to say, it's just like any other non-movie year. The loyal are still here buying like we always have, but the truth of the matter is that there just really aren't that many of us, at least compared to the group of folks who bought ROTS stuff for the kiddies last year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    fo shizzle, my Zizzle.
    That's twice now in the same thread. One more, and you're out. Besides, we all know your street cred is questionable at best.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO