Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"First Padme, now this. I guess I don't know my own strength."

You know how in "A New Hope" after Darth Vader kills Obi Wan he steps on the robe, kind of confused. That always made me wonder what he was thinking about. It never really made sense to me. Like, did Vader expect to see something under the robes? So here's my ideas of what Vader was thinking at that moment:

1. "Now, I know I didn't even slice through the robe. But I vaporized him. How the hell is that even possible?!??"

2) "He's standing behind me, isn't he? Please tell me the old man isn't standing behind me.... naked!"

3) "Holy s**t!!! I think I dislocated my arms out of my socket with that swing! I expected at least a little resistance!"

4) "Now that's what I call a Major League swing!"

5) "Great, I burn in agony for hours and this f$%#r just dissapears. That's %@@# fair! Gawdammit!!!"

6) "Damn, I must be strong. I usually just slice them in half with that swing."

7) "Oh snaps! Did you see what I did Padme, that was friggin' aweso.... oh yeah, I forget. Pardon me while I go drink myself drunk underneath my helmet."

8) "Huh."

9) "This is creeping me out."

10) "This robe is still good. But it smells like wino."

I think Vader had no idea what happened to the old coot, the first thing I'd do is see if anything is left under that robe, thus he steps on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds
    I think Vader had no idea what happened to the old coot, the first thing I'd do is see if anything is left under that robe, thus he steps on it.
    I know what the one thing I'd expect to see under the robe, and believe you me, I wouldn't step on it

Certainly he had never seen a Jedi(or anyone) do that before. Since Obi was the first in a good long while(if ever before, granted that some force powers had been lost over the ages).
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by scruffziller
    Certainly he had never seen a Jedi(or anyone) do that before. Since Obi was the first in a good long while(if ever before, granted that some force powers had been lost over the ages).
    Wonderful point, Scruffy.

I think it's more for the audience than for the movie. It shows that nothing is there.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Quote Originally Posted by Luuuuuuke

2) "He's standing behind me, isn't he? Please tell me the old man isn't standing behind me.... naked!"
    Number 2. Definatly number 2.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

I think that his hesitation was due to his burning (sorry for the pun) desire for revenge. He himself suffered, with both physical and emotional pain, and wanted Obi-Wan to suffer more. Seeing nothing there was not what he expected, and he couldn't act (i.e. keep the blast door from closing). Vader gets disappointed a lot.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

The robe was on fire and Vader knew that a fire in a space station could be exceptionally dangerous.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by scruffziller
    In other words, Vader was thinking, "WTF?!?!?"

I think that's a good bet.

And like JT suggested, he probably also didn't want the Fire Marshal to come down on his *** for allowing a fiery robe to smolder like that.

I always wondered if Vader cleeved the robe in two? It looks like the robe went undamaged, so maybe he was checking for a clean swipe....but thank God Obi disapeared with at least some of his under-robes.....Yoda couldn't even keep his freaking blanket....and some how Anakin was given new threads....
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.