Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can droids understand sarcasm?

Because in TPM, we have that sarcastic battle droid. Let me refresh your memory.

Qui-Gon: I'm taking these people to Coruscant.

Sarcastic Battle Droid: Coruscant....uh...that doesn't compute....uh, wait, uhhh....YOU'RE UNDER ARREST!

I just never understood that. It would have been funnier if something like that was said by an Imperial in the OT. But how can droids even compute sarcasm?
    [FONT=Arial Black]"I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERF***ER!!!!!"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Impact]Awesome Traders: JON9000, darkagent[/FONT]

Some may disagree with me, but I don't think that dialogue fits the definition of sarcasm. I think that the battle droid simply "could not compute" the place he was given, thus leading to the "your under arrest" line.

......that is what I think
    One way to out think people is to make them think you think they'll think what you are not really trying to get them to think what you think.

I thought the Battle Droid who looked like OOM-9 that handed Grievous Anakin's and Obi-Wan's Lightsabers on the bridge of the Invisible Hand sounded sarcastic when he said "Excuse me"

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarthVader
    Some may disagree with me, but I don't think that dialogue fits the definition of sarcasm. I think that the battle droid simply "could not compute" the place he was given, thus leading to the "your under arrest" line.

......that is what I think
    That's what I originally thought, but it doesn't explain the "uhh"s. If it wasn't using sarcasm, wouldn't it just say "You're under arrest"?
    [FONT=Arial Black]"I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERF***ER!!!!!"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Impact]Awesome Traders: JON9000, darkagent[/FONT]

R2 definitely understands sarcasm. i'd say that some droids are capable of comprehending it while others aren't. just like with humans

The battle droid in TPM is definitely not using sarcasm. It's almost as if he's buying time for some reason.

Also, in ANH, Luke uses sarcasm and 3PO seems to get it but really doesn't.

Luke: "Well. If there's a bright center to the universe you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

3PO: "I see"
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

The Battle Droid in TPM isn't bright. He's probably checking some data on the main computer of the control ship or something, and stalling for time while he does so. There definitely are some sarcastic BD's, and the one on the Invisible Hand is a good example (both of a sarcastic BD and a bad plot device).
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker
    Also, in ANH, Luke uses sarcasm and 3PO seems to get it but really doesn't.
    3PO doesn't seem to get a lot of things. the whole ewok deity situation shows how dense he can be. "i didn't know i had it in me" after his flight in the chair.