Where does one get new games cheap?

Videogame software has always been really expensive, and in our modern world, it's no different. Used games are sometimes cheap, though often not in good shape, and require a degree of risk. Renting a game is out of the question for anybody who wants to enjoy the game without a deadline hanging overhead. So how does one enjoy gaming without dropping masses of cash?

For example, I want to try out the new Game Boy Advance Star Wars game, but I hate renting and it may suck. In any event, it won't be cheap and that means that for now, I'm out of luck.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

do you have a bookman's? or you could try hastings.
    Master Obi-Wan has lost a planet, how embarassing. - the great yoda

There are several things. You could borrow it off someone who owns the game already. As you mentioned, you could rent. You can buy the game used (most retail used game stores will let you return a defective game in exchange for a refund, a different used game, or another copy of the same used game, just as long as you explain what the problem was). Another way, although technically illegal, would be to download an emulator and emulated copy of the game for free. Its obvious why it is illegal, but if you do it just to test a game out before you purchase it, I don't think its too bad. Just don't complain to me when they lock you up for it.
    Last edited by Lord Malakite; 01-28-2002 at 02:06 PM.

JT, try Electronics Boutique.

They aren't that cheap, but they have an excellent return policy. I used to work there recently, so I know.

If you return the game within 10 days of the purchase with the reciept, they will usually give you a refund. At the very least, they will let you exchange it for something else.

I find it workes well for me. Though I rarely ever have to take anything back, because I only buy good games. Problem is, most SW games are not good.

Though I do like Battlegrounds, the SNES games, and a few others.

Bookmans? Hastings?

For me, "borrowing" is out of the question as I'm the one all my local friends try to borrow games off of, those cheap fools never buy anything first! The used games I've seen lately are like $40 with instruction manuals, what the heck is that about? And my PC is way too wimpy to use an emulator.

As for EB, I'll check them out. One thing that sucks about LA is most retail chains have a much tougher return policy than in other areas, most stores I've visited won't take games back unless they're sealed NO MATTER WHAT except for defects, which is a direct exchange, no getting something different.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.