Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"Psych" on USA Network

It's a little bit Moonlighting and a little bit Veronica Mars. It's also gotten some of the highest ratings for a cable network original series in the 2006-2007 season!

The show seriously cracks me up!

[FONT=Impact]Psych Review: Is it Worth Your Precious Viewing Time?[/FONT]

Four Stars (out of Five)

This dramedy centers around the character of Shawn Spencer, who has the ability to see a situation for more than it's worth. When he is accused of committing a crime he helped the police solve, he convinces the police he's psychic. With the help of his best friend, Shawn is hired to help the police force solve crimes. How long can this charade go on? Maybe Shawn can foresee the answer to that question.

Is it worth your precious viewing time?
    If you're looking for more comedy than drama, then Psych is worth your attention. I found the show to be a bit campy and over-the-top at times, but as crime-dramedies go, Psych is one of a kind. With several laugh out loud moments, serious scenes were severely lacking. All in all, I enjoyed the hour and will definitely tune in next week to see how far Shawn can go before he gets caught.

Cast
    James Roday as Shawn Spencer
    Dule Hill as Gus
    Corbin Bernsen as Henry Spencer

When is it on?
    Fridays at 10pm EST on USA Network.

SOURCE
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

It's cute, but I'd say it's nothing like either series you cited. I also don't see what the ratings are about, the concept is fun but the delivery is so far very USA network, which is to say, watered down.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Really? Quite a few people I've spoken with find it to be a lot like those two shows. It's got the smart-***** sarcasm of VM and reluctant partner-in-crime of Moonlighting. It's got the detective aspect of it but also goes beyond just that. *shrug*

As far as the ratings? It's summer fare. Have you seen what crap is being shown on the summer schedule?? LOL

I don't see it, VM isn't just cheap witicisms, there's more behind them, Psych is nothing but. The Moonlighting partnership thing, that was as much about romantic subtext as it was about solving crimes, here it's just that they don't have enough money and the friend is reluctant to go in on such a scam, but he is easily manipulated by this friend. I think comparing Psych to Veronica Mars and Moonlighting is doing a disservice to potential viewers of Psych because they're going to expect something they absolutely won't be getting.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Hey, in this day and age, you're lucky to be getting something even HALF that good.

Seriously, though... it's juvenile but funny as all hell. Let's put it this way: Loads of people who have watched it have referenced those shows. The people who have watched it also like the Joss Whedon shows, Roseanne, The Gilmore Girls, and a lot of other "culty" faves.

Doesn't it ever bother you when someone says "this movie is the 'Star Wars' of this generation!" and then of course it's NOT (I'm looking at you, Titan A.E.!!!)? Unless the comparisons are fairly apt, I don't think they do justice to the shows. Psych (which I can't type without the "o" at the end apparently) is its own USA Network thing, if the only way people are going to see it is from that kind of recommendation, they won't stick with it anyway.

Psych is "light", "funny", and "cute", in much the same way that Monk is, but with a new, different twist on the detective concept (one that could be better-mined me thinks).

Sure... But I never said it WAS Moonlighting or Veronica Mars... I stated it had little elements of each show in. That's like saying anybody is the new Madonna/Elvis/Beatles!!

So... how about that Moonlighting-esque ending on "Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Piece"? Everyone was chasing the Maid of Honour through the hotel and she ended up tripping on a sleeping attendant's foot, which sent her sailing into the air and landing A'ss (as in "donkey") over applecart on the other side of a table?

Well... it was very Moonlighting...

Moonlighting was hardly the first show to do schtick.

I wasn't going to post in this thread again until a third party had something to say about the series... oh well.

Well... then there was this week's very David Addison-esque banter with the client-- oooooh!!! And the seance!!