reminiscing about the ep1 case assortments...

i was thinking back to the night they unleashed the episode 1 figures at midnight. darth maul was on ads, shirts - he was all over. no one knew much about him and there was a lot of buzz.

and when they started opening the cases, there was one maul per case - and more than one palp in senate robes.

at the time most of the people in tru were all working too hard to try to find everything to really think about this. but i was thinking back today and wondering what was hasbro thinking???? i mean, who made the decision? maul was on all the card backs, so someone at hasbro realized he'd be popular. wouldn't you think someone at hasbro might have realized that darth maul might - just might - outsell and old guy in a robe just standing there?

ah, the mysteries of corporate decision-making...

Hasbro has been short packing popular figures since Moses got the Commandments. It is an on going thing, the Weequay FF figure, Clone Troopers, Scorch and many others, but the Maul was horrid. I got one at MM that night because me and a friend who didnt collect had a gmae paln of going ot the pegs seperatly and grabbing what ever we found and then meeting up to sort em out. I remember one woman coming ot me asking if we had found an extra "baby Anakin"(her words, not mine) and I handed her one of em. Was he short packed as well? I also had issues finding Ki-Adi and had to get him from a comic shop.

The last waves were horrible as well as I am missing a few of the last wave(r2-b1, padme acension guns).
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Maul wasn't actually short-packed in any cases, just not heavy-packed either (although the wave 10 case had 3 different Maul figures in it ), Hasbro simply didn't consider how much more of him kids wanted than other characters even though he was the film's poster boy. I don't think Hasbro made a single right decision on case assortments in the whole Ep 1 line, not even when they did that super-late-in-the-game fat-face Maul figure that was a solid case of 16 (fat face Maul became a mega pegwarmer at that point... half a year after demand had died).

My "favorite" was that first Ep 1 case, the 32-figure case, there were 4 lil Anakins in it!!! Not just 4 Anakins either, but 4 Jar Jars, 4 Padmes, and 4 Amidalas! Who even-packs a case with Maul, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, and a troop-building Battle Droid in 4 different paint jobs?!?

Ep 1 Case Assts listing
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

i know, i know - hasbro has always taken a target with names of all the figures and throws darts to determine how many of each figure will be put in each box.

but wouldn't you think SOMEONE over there would look at that palpatine figure and think "how many kids want to buy an old guy who just stands there?" i mean, i could see someone thinking jar jar was cool and good for kids but every once in a while i can't imagine them not realizing they are creating a huge number of peg warmers.

What I remember most from the launch was the sheer glut of product. Everything you could imagine was associated with Episode I. You could get a Jar Jar blow up pool raft! I never had much of a problem finding any of the initial figures. Heck, they must have produced a bazillion of them.

As for Maul, he was one of the few figures from back then that still holds up pretty well along with Jar Jar. Most of the other early ones left a bit to be desired.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car