Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

World War ONE movies

There is a great deal of films made about the 2nd World War, but not many about the first:

Legends of the Fall touches on it.

The film adaptation of All Quiet on the Western Front is an excellent piece.

Behind the Lines (about a British war time hospital for veterans suffering mental anguish) is a good and lesser known flick.

But what else is there?

Anyone?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Sergeant York and A Farewell to Arms both had world war I settings. Anything about the red baron would be WWI as well.

"The Lost Battalion" was a TV movie from a couple years ago starring Rick Schroeder. From IMDB:
    As the First World War draws to a close, American troops penetrate deep into German held French territory, under pressure from French and British allies to advance quickly and smash the last of the German Army in France. "The Lost Battalion" is the true story of a group of 800 American soldiers, attached to the 77th American Division, who were ordered to advance into the Argonne Forest, against heavy German resistance, and hold their position at whatever the cost.
    For being a made for TV movie it was really, really good. I want to say it was shown on the Hallmark channel (Odd, I know) and every once in a while they'll replay it.

There's also "The Fighting 69th" with James Cagney. From Amazon:
    "The Fighting 69th" is a First World War regiment of mostly New York-Irish soldiers. Amongst a cocky crew, perhaps the cockiest is Jerry Plunkett, a scrappy fellow who looks out only for himself. The officers and non-coms of the regiment do their best to instill discipline in Plunkett, and the chaplain, Father Duffy, tries to make Plunkett see the greater good, all to no avail. Behind the lines or in the trenches, Plunkett acts selfishly and cowardly, eventually costing the lives of many of his fellow soldiers. A final act of cowardice leads to terrible consequences, but Plunkett sees in them a chance to redeem himself...if only he can.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Thanks guys. It looks like I'll be able to order by mail The Lost Battalion - which appears to be just the kind of war movie I'm looking for.

Any other suggestions would be great.

Anyone here actually seen TLB?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

How about "Johnny Get Your Gun", I haven't watched it but the book is quite graphic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho

Anyone here actually seen TLB?
    I've seen it probably a half dozen times. I'd recommend it.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

That's cool CaptainSolo, because I just ordered it. I'll probably get it Monday, Tuesday, or later, so my review of it will have to wait a little bit.

But I hope I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds
    How about "Johnny Get Your Gun", I haven't watched it but the book is quite graphic.
    I've never seen the movie, except for the clips Metallica used in their video for "One," but I agree the book is really good. I managed to find an old, beat up copy.

Amazon has a list of WW1 movies.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy
    I've never seen the movie, except for the clips Metallica used in their video for "One," but I agree the book is really good. I managed to find an old, beat up copy.
    I haven't gotten a chance to see the movie either, Metallica bought the rights to the film for the video so I'm no sure if its even on tv anymore. Copies pop up on Ebay everynow and then.

The Big Parade (1925)
    Wings (1927)
    Hell's Angels (1930)
    All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
    Paths Of Glory (1957)
    Gallipoli (1981)
    plasticfetish.net